mikronauts

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Wed May 13, 2015 5:10 pm

I can definitely see uses for the device when/if it shows up on the market.

The good news is by far exceeding their funding goal, they can negotiate better BOM and assembly costs.

It is definitely NOT a competitor for RPi2, but may give some competition to RPi A+ where HDMI is not needed.

It will be interesting to see how this shakes out.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

zerotri

Wed May 13, 2015 6:39 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:As with most Kickstarters, it's not the basic engineering or the marketing that will be the problem. It's the production of a mass market device. The bit people always forget about.
And complicated by the success the campaign is having. Their original goal would have entailed making--at most--about 3K units. Now they have over 20K backers, so more than 20K units, and that without taking multiple unit participation packages.

Since they are (relatively) local to me and the up coming Maker Faire (this weekend), I will look around and see if I can talk with one or more of them.
AFAIK, at least a few of us will be at Maker Faire this weekend. Come find us and we may be able to answer some of your questions in person.

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 13, 2015 7:25 pm

zerotri wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
jamesh wrote:As with most Kickstarters, it's not the basic engineering or the marketing that will be the problem. It's the production of a mass market device. The bit people always forget about.
And complicated by the success the campaign is having. Their original goal would have entailed making--at most--about 3K units. Now they have over 20K backers, so more than 20K units, and that without taking multiple unit participation packages.

Since they are (relatively) local to me and the up coming Maker Faire (this weekend), I will look around and see if I can talk with one or more of them.
AFAIK, at least a few of us will be at Maker Faire this weekend. Come find us and we may be able to answer some of your questions in person.
Given where you're located, I figured that would be the case. I'll try to find you. I'd give a description, but "over-weght, bearded male, wearing glasses, with longish hair and graying" just isn't going to be very useful. If you've got the time, you can probably find some of the Pi Forum denizens wherever Eben gives a talk. It'd be interesting to hear the two side chat about design choices...

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 18, 2015 4:31 pm

Well...I didn't manage to find the Next Thing folks at the Maker Faire, so no news on that front.

In the mean time, it has occurred to me that there is something they really should do with the PocketCHIP...their "Otto" camera (uses the RPF CM) has a lot of its setup done from a smartphone. The clever thing to do would be to port the Otto control software to the PocketCHIP and sell a package of a PocketCHIP and an Otto camera.

Sleep Mode zZ

Sun May 24, 2015 1:02 pm

The C.H.I.P. is introduced on The New Screen Savers show, from 1:05 to 1:17: http://twit.tv/show/new-screen-savers/4.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Jun 02, 2015 9:39 pm

Just a note for those outside the US concerned about the shipping cost...they sent out an e-mail saying that they've found shippers that can do the shipping for a "lot less", so anyone who really wants a CHIP and was balking at the shipping might take another look.

BMS Doug

Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:25 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:Just a note for those outside the US concerned about the shipping cost...they sent out an e-mail saying that they've found shippers that can do the shipping for a "lot less", so anyone who really wants a CHIP and was balking at the shipping might take another look.
It still lists $20 shipping on kickstarter at the moment, I don't believe that they will be able to automagically change that, or trust that they would even make the effort.
(I clicked on "Select this reward" and that's where the $20 shipping charge was announced, in the bit where you pay).

D'oh, reduced international shipping reward tier. $14 dollars shipping, still too much.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:02 am

BMS Doug wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Just a note for those outside the US concerned about the shipping cost...they sent out an e-mail saying that they've found shippers that can do the shipping for a "lot less", so anyone who really wants a CHIP and was balking at the shipping might take another look.
It still lists $20 shipping on kickstarter at the moment, I don't believe that they will be able to automagically change that, or trust that they would even make the effort.
(I clicked on "Select this reward" and that's where the $20 shipping charge was announced, in the bit where you pay).

D'oh, reduced international shipping reward tier. $14 dollars shipping, still too much.
I just had to send a parcel back to China from the UK, cost me £12 international air freight. $14 sounds about right.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

drgeoff

Wed Jun 03, 2015 11:50 am

I've just taken delivery of a (clone?) Digispark ATTiny85. Total price of £1.48 (about US$2.30) including shipping from China.

jamesh

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:45 pm

drgeoff wrote:I've just taken delivery of a (clone?) Digispark ATTiny85. Total price of £1.48 (about US$2.30) including shipping from China.
Don't forget that Chinese exporters get shipping costs subsidised by their government...(IIRC!)
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

BMS Doug

Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:49 pm

drgeoff wrote:I've just taken delivery of a (clone?) Digispark ATTiny85. Total price of £1.48 (about US$2.30) including shipping from China.
Sold!

I just bought 5.
Doug.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:46 pm

jamesh wrote: I just had to send a parcel back to China from the UK, cost me £12 international air freight. $14 sounds about right.
Be that as it may it still destroys the price advantage of the chip over the pi for us UK buyers. Esepcailly when you consider that it pushes the total price over the VAT threshold which means that if they are honest on the customs form the carrier will likely charge you £10 or so for collecting the VAT.

jamesh

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:06 pm

plugwash wrote:
jamesh wrote: I just had to send a parcel back to China from the UK, cost me £12 international air freight. $14 sounds about right.
Be that as it may it still destroys the price advantage of the chip over the pi for us UK buyers. Esepcailly when you consider that it pushes the total price over the VAT threshold which means that if they are honest on the customs form the carrier will likely charge you £10 or so for collecting the VAT.
Cannot argue with that!

hippy

Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:48 pm

plugwash wrote:
Be that as it may it still destroys the price advantage of the chip over the pi for us UK buyers.
Indeed... until a UK distributor imports them in bulk and starts to sell locally. Perhaps they'll find a manufacturer or distributor based in China and we'll get them cheaper than local postage would cost 8-)

gkreidl

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:30 pm

It's a fake.
CHIP 9$ computer launched a big advertising campaign to promote their new development board, their actual cost is higher than 9$. After the Kickstarter their computer will sell for 39$.
Full text:
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/06/05 ... -20-for-9/
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

mikronauts

Fri Jun 05, 2015 5:39 pm

So it is a loss-leader Kickstarter. That makes far more sense.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

jamesh

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:35 pm

When it comes to chips, the manufacture cost from ANY manufacture for a particular size of die is about the same. So any SoC coming out with lets say quad cores and a GPU is going to be as big or bigger than the 2836 if on the same process. And therefore more expensive. On a smaller process, you can make more from a wafer, so the unit cost is cheaper. BUT setup costs are a lot more.

What it comes down to, is that there is a minimum cost these sorts of devices can be and still provide a decent feature set.

$9 is too low to do that to the end user.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Jun 05, 2015 6:40 pm

Heh... So instead of taking a loss on about 5K boards, they're going to have to take a loss on about 50K boards. That's going to leave scorch marks.

BMS Doug

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Heh... So instead of taking a loss on about 5K boards, they're going to have to take a loss on about 50K boards. That's going to leave scorch marks.
And when you are already losing money on every transaction, the best thing to do is slash your prices and sell more items.

(Chip drop international shipping costs, dropping prices, increasing sales).
Doug.

DougieLawson

Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:16 pm

gkreidl wrote:It's a fake.
CHIP 9$ computer launched a big advertising campaign to promote their new development board, their actual cost is higher than 9$. After the Kickstarter their computer will sell for 39$.
Full text:
https://olimex.wordpress.com/2015/06/05 ... -20-for-9/
I think the pertinent comment in that blog posting was "So it's not a $9 computer with $20 shipping, it's a $20 dollar computer with $9 shipping". Whatever way you stir that it comes out as a $29 computer that's still kickstarter vapourhardware.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:56 am

I think the pertinent comment in that blog posting was "So it's not a $9 computer with $20 shipping, it's a $20 dollar computer with $9 shipping". Whatever way you stir that it comes out as a $29 computer that's still kickstarter vapourhardware.[/quote]
I wouldn't exactly consider olimex a neutral party here.

gkreidl

Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:25 am

plugwash wrote: I wouldn't exactly consider olimex a neutral party here.
No, they are a competitor (and don't hide it). But they know the SOC prices well (and have contacted their business partner Allwinner about it).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:20 am

Well I hope the developers of $9 enjoyed their five minutes of fame.

Will they make Xmas delivery ?

They like many others will be forgotten in a short space of time ;)
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

hippy

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:34 am

DougieLawson wrote:I think the pertinent comment in that blog posting was "So it's not a $9 computer with $20 shipping, it's a $20 dollar computer with $9 shipping". Whatever way you stir that it comes out as a $29 computer that's still kickstarter vapourhardware.
It is only $29 for those who have to pay $20 shipping. The conspiracy theory that they have lowered the product cost and upped the shipping to come to the price they want to charge is pure speculation, isn't proven, and seems rather dubious to me considering $20 can indeed be the cost of shipping a single sub-$10 chip from the US.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:39 am

And IIRC it's only $5 shipping for people in the USA,

Return to “Off topic discussion”