Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Sun May 10, 2015 2:06 am

bobstro wrote:Luxury!

Edit: Mikro beat me by seconds.

Antikythera

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 1:15 am

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:C.H.I.P seems not to be a serious alternative for Pi 2. It is not as powerful and it only has one USB connector.
It has TWO. One of them powers the board and is also USB and OTG-USB. The other one is a full size USB. That's one thing that's bothered me about the Pi, the fact that the micro USB is really a fake port.

And while it's not as powerful as the Pi2 it could probably outrun the Pi 1. Onboard wifi (not over USB!) and real audio I/O. Onboard power management and battery connector. Interesting enough. And of course, shipping price gets reasonable once you order ten...

No camera, but a reasonable touchscreen will be available. Not my thing, but could be handy. I don't need or want HDMI or VGA anyway as I won't be attaching a screen.

And perhaps they will show less childish behaviour, since it is completely open source, which shows imho they're not afraid of copycats or other serious competition.

DavidMartinRoss

Mon May 11, 2015 1:31 am

cyrano wrote:
And perhaps they will show less childish behaviour, since it is completely open source, which shows imho they're not afraid of copycats or other serious competition.
hahahahhahahahah open source hahahahahhahahahha uses an Allwinner chip and open source he says hahahhahahahhahaha

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 11, 2015 1:43 am

cyrano wrote: It has TWO. One of them powers the board and is also USB and OTG-USB. The other one is a full size USB. That's one thing that's bothered me about the Pi, the fact that the micro USB is really a fake port.
The microUSB connector on a Pi isn't a fake port. It isn't a port at all, and that is well known and gets noted pretty often. It's use was, ultimately, because the EU required a standard charging connector for cell phones and the manufacturers went with microUSB.
The comments on the The Register article on the device have some...interesting...things to say about Allwinner and open source. You might go read them and then rethink the claim that this board will be "completely open source". Also note that what has prevented others from cloning the Pi has little or nothing to do the board designs. Rather, it has a lot to do with SoC availability, in the sense that no one (other than the Foundation) is building enough boards to buy in the kind of quantity that will interest Broadcom in selling.

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 2:37 am

The schematics for the CHIP will be available when the design is finished. So will be board layouts and such. AFAIK the schematics of the Pi2 haven't been released yet. And since these guys from California have already completed and fulfilled a previous Kickstarter project, I tend to believe they are not crooks.

That both the Pi and the Chinese CPU still have non open source parts is another matter that unfortunately can't be resolved without a change in policy by the manufacturers. And when it comes to GPL violations, sure Allwinner has been found in violation of the GPL, but so has Broadcom and a lot of other companies. Most router manufacturers are constantly violating the GPL, f.i....

And "fake" may be a harsh word, but most users do expect a USB port on a computer to be, well, a real USB port. I see it as a bit of a missed opportunity. After all, it's not that hard to split out the power part from the data comms part, is it?

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 11, 2015 2:58 am

cyrano wrote:The schematics for the CHIP will be available when the design is finished. So will be board layouts and such. AFAIK the schematics of the Pi2 haven't been released yet. And since these guys from California have already completed and fulfilled a previous Kickstarter project, I tend to believe they are not crooks.
If you read the comment thread I referred to, you will see that the issue addressed is Allwinner, not the board developers. The only issue with the board developers is the claim to be completely "open source".

Now, as it happens, by including flash memory on board, they *may* avoid the the issue that has kept the Pi from being accpeted as an "open source" device from the software standpoint. Making a distinction between the proprietary blob being in some form of fixed memory is okay, but being on user writable memory is not is pointless hair splitting.
And "fake" may be a harsh word, but most users do expect a USB port on a computer to be, well, a real USB port. I see it as a bit of a missed opportunity. After all, it's not that hard to split out the power part from the data comms part, is it?
So...if the RPF had designed the board with, say, a barrel connector you would have had no issues? Where would you have found the right cable to connect to it? Isn't a common, readily available cable type a better choice? Every picture of a Pi labels that connector as "Power". Nowhere does anything indicate that it is a data connector. Anyone who asks about it is told it's for power and not data. Note that the "real" USB ports *are* real USB ports. They're exactly what you'd expect on a computer...USB-A. The difficulty with splitting out data lines on the microUSB is...what are you going to connect them to? The BCM2835 and BCM2836 only have one USB bus, and that either goes directly to a single USB port (Models A and A+), or it goes to a LAN hub chip to turn into 2 or 4 USB ports plus an RJ-45 Ethernet jack (Models B, B+ and Pi2B). As a result there is no available path for data lines from the microUSB to connect to the SoC.

That explanation may be a bit subtle for those without at least a moderate amount of experience with hardware, but "the microUSB connector is just a power connector" should be simple enough for anyone to understand.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon May 11, 2015 3:59 am

mikronauts wrote:VGA costing less makes sense *if* the SOC does not have an hdmi compatible output built in, in which case an external encoder would be needed.

Frankly I am curious at what is available on those two nice 20x2 headers...
I would guess that a significant proportion of the pins on the header are taken up by a paralell RGB output. Both the VGA and HDMI boards have a row of three identical looking chips which I would guess are level shifters of some sort. From the pictures and the prices I would guess that the VGA board has a resistor arrays used as DACs (similar to gert's VGA666 for the pi) while the HDMI board has an encoder chip.

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 4:09 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:If you read the comment thread I referred to, you will see that the issue addressed is Allwinner, not the board developers. The only issue with the board developers is the claim to be completely "open source".
I did read the comments. One of the comments was that Allwinner is in violation of the GPL. I didn't delve into the details as it's The Register.
Now, as it happens, by including flash memory on board, they *may* avoid the the issue that has kept the Pi from being accpeted as an "open source" device from the software standpoint. Making a distinction between the proprietary blob being in some form of fixed memory is okay, but being on user writable memory is not is pointless hair splitting.
I didn't make those rules...

I'm skeptical about "completely" too. So, let's keep it at "they are a little closer to "completely".
So...if the RPF had designed the board with, say, a barrel connector you would have had no issues?
I don't have issues with the micro USB being used for power only. But some users do. The question even arises on this forum every now and then. And the CHIP developers have done it. It's just a more elegant solution, that's all.
Note that the "real" USB ports *are* real USB ports. They're exactly what you'd expect on a computer...USB-A.

They can't provide 500 mA current... That used to be a standard from the USB consortium and still is what is expected by a lot of USB devices and a lot of users. You can get by for most things with 400 mA, but a lot of audio devices and bus powered harddisks do require the full 500 mA. I wonder if the USB ports on the CHIP can provide 500 mA. And as we don't know, it's a bit besides the point.

I'm not saying it is better, as it is not available yet. But when I look at the specs that have been put forward, it looks like a real contender. Sure, the Pi2 has double the memory and a lot more CPU power, but they claim to be able to run the Chromium browser. And personally I don't care about VGA or HDMI, so to me it looks like a strong contender because there's onboard Wifi and a battery connector. Coupled with the small size, I can see some applications that I personally can't do with the RPi.

And as long as we can 't test it, we can only discuss the paper specs, can't we?

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 4:12 am

There's one point we haven't touched: power consumption. It seems to use about the same power as the Pi, or a bit more, based on a 3 Ah battery lasting 5 hours...

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 11, 2015 4:58 am

cyrano wrote: And as long as we can 't test it, we can only discuss the paper specs, can't we?
Correct. I note that the Wikipedia article lumps the A13 in with the A10. We *can* examine boards using the A10 chip.

Given that closer comparison, the CHIP may be a bit faster than a first generation Pi, but without many of the features that people use that the Pi has. Of course, it's quite a bit cheaper. The best comparison might be to the Model A+, but to make a good comparison (while you might not need it) one ought to include the HDMI module, which raises to price to $24...which is $4 (or 20% to make it look scary) more than the A+. All of a sudden, the $9 price of the base system doesn't look as impressive as it did at first.

(Let me note that I am NOT trying to trash the CHIP. Indeed, I've backed the project to the extent of a board and a VGA adapter. This is primarily to add it to my collection of boards that can be compared to each other and to have personal experience to discuss any physical issues I see with them. To that end I have working examples of Cubieboard-1 and 2, and an Odroid-C1.)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon May 11, 2015 8:59 am

CHIP doesn't have a camera interface, not sure about LCD interface, not sure about a H264 encoder/decoder.

Pi doesn't have Wifi (although its a $5 dongle) and costs more.

CHIP is more of an embedded device, Pi is more of a full blown computer. Although both could be used for either.

Different horses for different courses.

Still be surprised if they make their price target for general manufacture.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon May 11, 2015 9:27 am

cyrano wrote:
Sleep Mode zZ wrote:C.H.I.P seems not to be a serious alternative for Pi 2. It is not as powerful and it only has one USB connector.
It has TWO. One of them powers the board and is also USB and OTG-USB. The other one is a full size USB. That's one thing that's bothered me about the Pi, the fact that the micro USB is really a fake port.
But to use it for power and something else would necessitate using a USB hub? I like the B+ and B2 because they can manage without a hub...
cyrano wrote: Onboard wifi (not over USB!) and real audio I/O.
I see audio out. Is there audio in? I don't see it stated on the page...

It seems that the audio port does also function as a composite video out. Is it possible to have "real audio I/O" (in AND out) and composite out from one connector?

I agree that decent quality audio I/O would be great and would put CHIP above Pis for many projects.

Edit: Now I see it. In one picture there is the text "mic in". So it must be possible to have audio out, mic in and composite video in one connector.
Last edited by Sleep Mode zZ on Mon May 11, 2015 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Mon May 11, 2015 11:21 am

jamesh wrote:CHIP doesn't have a camera interface
seems it does have a CSI interface

In terms of onboard interfaces, it has wifi/bluetooth/ & audio input over the pi.
I see the 4GB onboard nand as a disadvantage - I much prefer having microSD cards for different preinstalled purposes.
BMS Doug wrote:the reported $20 shipping to the UK puts it out of my price range, If it succeeds and hits the shelves over here I'll get one to play with.
Yes that put me off too - looks like they've only really thought about the US:

- $5 for US, $20 for rest of world including UK.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

W. H. Heydt

Mon May 11, 2015 4:20 pm

mikerr wrote: In terms of onboard interfaces, it has wifi/bluetooth/ & audio input over the pi.
I see the 4GB onboard nand as a disadvantage - I much prefer having microSD cards for different preinstalled purposes.
Audio input I'll grant as an advantage (though there are ways around that for a Pi, but that adds cost). As for the on-board flash...besides being something various people have asked for (and note that the CM has it), the Cubieboards solved the problem by looking for an SD card first, and if one isn't present, only then booting from on-board flash.
BMS Doug wrote:the reported $20 shipping to the UK puts it out of my price range, If it succeeds and hits the shelves over here I'll get one to play with.
Yes that put me off too - looks like they've only really thought about the US:

- $5 for US, $20 for rest of world including UK.
They probably went to one of the major shipping companies and got a set of quotes without digging in too deeply. Since the original goal was "only" $50K, which around the lowest rates is at most 3000 units, and likely rather fewer than that, they would appear not to have been anticipating any significant manufacturing volume, at least off the KickStarter funds.

Since they're in Oakland (about 25 miles from where I live), it will be interesting to see if, once they get into general production, it will be possible to just drop in and buy various versions or bits "over the counter".

cyrano

Mon May 11, 2015 6:36 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:But to use it for power and something else would necessitate using a USB hub? I like the B+ and B2 because they can manage without a hub...
I'm not sure I understand where you're going here.

It's in one of the drawings. If I looked at it correctly, there's a 4 pin jack for audio I/O and a yellow RCA for composite video.
It seems that the audio port does also function as a composite video out. Is it possible to have "real audio I/O" (in AND out) and composite out from one connector?
See above. I don't think so. It's another 4 pin jack mess for audio, but that's only a problem if you don't have the right adapter.
I agree that decent quality audio I/O would be great and would put CHIP above Pis for many projects.
I agree. There's nothing wrong with USB audio adapters and Wifi sticks, except you never know what you buy exactly with the cheap Chinese ones. And better audio interfaces (with mic inputs that have phantom power) simply don't work on the Pi because of power limits. Of course, there are no XLR inputs with phantom power on the CHIP either, but having standard audio onboard looks like a big advantage to me.
Edit: Now I see it. In one picture there is the text "mic in". So it must be possible to have audio out, mic in and composite video in one connector.
I'll admit, Kickstarter pages never shine when it comes to spec sheets...

Sleep Mode zZ

Mon May 11, 2015 7:51 pm

cyrano wrote:
Sleep Mode zZ wrote:But to use it for power and something else would necessitate using a USB hub? I like the B+ and B2 because they can manage without a hub...
I'm not sure I understand where you're going here.
Pi B+ and B2 do not need a USB hub, even with a keyboard, mouse, game controller and a USB stick. CHIP, on the other hand, would need a USB hub with a mouse and a keyboard alone. Even if the CHIP has 2 USB connectors, it is not possible to use them both normally without any hub because you have to get power somewhere. That is a con, because a USB hub cost money and makes the setup less appealing aesthetically. If one USB connector is enough, no problem.

cyrano wrote:
It's in one of the drawings. If I looked at it correctly, there's a 4 pin jack for audio I/O and a yellow RCA for composite video.
See above. I don't think so. It's another 4 pin jack mess for audio, but that's only a problem if you don't have the right adapter.
Sorry, I still can't see two connectors. In one picture there are, from left to right, microUSB, the audio/composite and then the full size USB. Moreover, in that picture all the following fuctions are assigned to that one connector: Composite video, HDMI & VGA out via adapter, Headphone audio out, Mic in:

cyrano wrote:
I agree. There's nothing wrong with USB audio adapters and Wifi sticks, except you never know what you buy exactly with the cheap Chinese ones. And better audio interfaces (with mic inputs that have phantom power) simply don't work on the Pi because of power limits. Of course, there are no XLR inputs with phantom power on the CHIP either, but having standard audio onboard looks like a big advantage to me.
If you put max_usb_current=1 in config.txt you should get 1.2 A for USB devices. Unless that means max 300mA per device, should not there be enough for one or two devices to get the standard 500mA? If not, there is a hardware mod to get over 2A to the USB devices. So it seems that, power wise, any standard USB sound card should work with Pi B+ and B2...

drgeoff

Mon May 11, 2015 10:43 pm

A micro-USB socket as used on the RPi is never a USB host. It is either a client or OTG. The RPis have never supported being a client or OTG. Therefore wiring the data pins of the micro-USB socket on a RPi would serve no purpose.

fruitoftheloom

Mon May 11, 2015 11:06 pm

Well have read all the hype, information, misinformation, bad reporting and still do not see what all the fuss is about.

OK it has BT & WiFi, but need to buy a VGA or HDMi add-on so now getting near a RPi A+ price, if the RPF launch a 2A then considering the community support of the RPi will it be worth a few $$$ saving for most users ?

Of course it has its place in the market but so do Odroid, Minnowboard, Banana etal and none have ever achieved the RPF success in terms of sales and community support.

Good luck to the developers and be interesting if can get them out for Christmas this year !
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

metalj

Tue May 12, 2015 12:14 am

What is the 4gb onboard memory good for? I bought a pi because I wanted to use SD cards. Also are they getting vlc because they're advertising it and as far as I know it's a whole process for the RPI. Minecraft and sonic pi are killer apps but on the other hand plug n play ps3 controllers would be cool.
Backspace 28 times :)

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 12, 2015 1:12 am

metalj wrote:What is the 4gb onboard memory good for? I bought a pi because I wanted to use SD cards. Also are they getting vlc because they're advertising it and as far as I know it's a whole process for the RPI. Minecraft and sonic pi are killer apps but on the other hand plug n play ps3 controllers would be cool.
Well... On board flash does have *some* advantages. It also has disadvantages. The best compromise I've seen are the Cubieboards, which have both on board flash and an microSD card slot. They boot from the SD. If no SD, they booth from the flash memory.

I've been thinking about the comparison between the A+ and the CHIP. So far, what I have is ARMv6/ARMv7, 256MB/512MB, composite Video/composite video, no VGA/$10 VGA, HDMI/$15 HDMI, audio out/audio i/o (?), CSI/no CSI (?), DSI/no DSI, 1 USB/1 USB+otg (?), SD up to 64GB/on board flash 4GB and (from what I've seen) the A+ has more GPIO pins, but I could be wrong about that.

By the time you have a working system using anything better than composite video, the price evens out, and with HDMI, the A+ costs less. Then there is the issue that the A+ has been available for 6 months already, and the CHIP won't be available (even for most KickStarter backers) for another *year*. By the time anyone can just buy a CHIP, there may be a Pi2A...and that would blow the socks off the CHIP (*more* memory and, so far as I can tell, greater effective processor speed).

Still, at last check the campaign is up to $830K and that gives Next Thing a solid shot at joining the second tier of SBC companies...possibly even making it to number 3 by volume of boards sold.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 12, 2015 8:36 pm

I presume that I'm not the only person who has noticed that the campaign has gathered over $1 million in pledges. They've also sent out e-mail stating that they have 20K backers.

It's going to be interesting to see how this plays out. How close will they come to the promised delivery dates? What will the Pi A+ (or successor) look like by May of next year? What else will people be talking about by then?

cyrano

Tue May 12, 2015 10:48 pm

Sleep Mode zZ wrote:Pi B+ and B2 do not need a USB hub, even with a keyboard, mouse, game controller and a USB stick. CHIP, on the other hand, would need a USB hub with a mouse and a keyboard alone. Even if the CHIP has 2 USB connectors, it is not possible to use them both normally without any hub because you have to get power somewhere. That is a con, because a USB hub cost money and makes the setup less appealing aesthetically. If one USB connector is enough, no problem.
In their vision, the keyboard and mouse are BT, not USB. That might look harder, but other manufacturers (Apple, fi) follow the same path. I'm not a fan of BT keyboards or mice, but a lot of people seem to find them useful.
Sorry, I still can't see two connectors. In one picture there are, from left to right, microUSB, the audio/composite and then the full size USB. Moreover, in that picture all the following fuctions are assigned to that one connector: Composite video, HDMI & VGA out via adapter, Headphone audio out, Mic in:
Yep. I think you're right. That's a mistake, I think. It is very hard to avoid interference on the mic input with video so close. Maybe the picture is of a prototype?
If you put max_usb_current=1 in config.txt you should get 1.2 A for USB devices. Unless that means max 300mA per device, should not there be enough for one or two devices to get the standard 500mA? If not, there is a hardware mod to get over 2A to the USB devices. So it seems that, power wise, any standard USB sound card should work with Pi B+ and B2...
Sorry, you're right.

When I tried USB audio, that was on the Pi B. Not the B+ or the Pi 2. And when i read the specs for those I wrongly interpreted 1,2 A for four ports as 300 mA per port.

cyrano

Tue May 12, 2015 11:08 pm

Phew...

Just wanted to look at the prices of multiple CHIP's again. The project is already over a million dollars with 24 days to go!

Seems I'm not the only fool that got a bit over-excited. :lol:

Anyhow, some packages are expensive. For instance, the 150$ package gets you 1 pre-release CHIP in september, a Pocket CHIP case and 5 release CHIP's later.

If I can still count, that's 6 X 9$ + 40$ = 94$...

But you can call yourself a 56$ "kernel hacker" if you order one of those :D

I just hope their engineering is at the same level as their marketing skills.

jamesh

Wed May 13, 2015 9:09 am

As with most Kickstarters, it's not the basic engineering or the marketing that will be the problem. It's the production of a mass market device. The bit people always forget about.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 13, 2015 3:53 pm

jamesh wrote:As with most Kickstarters, it's not the basic engineering or the marketing that will be the problem. It's the production of a mass market device. The bit people always forget about.
And complicated by the success the campaign is having. Their original goal would have entailed making--at most--about 3K units. Now they have over 20K backers, so more than 20K units, and that without taking multiple unit participation packages.

Since they are (relatively) local to me and the up coming Maker Faire (this weekend), I will look around and see if I can talk with one or more of them.

Return to “Off topic discussion”