mikerr

Re: 9$ SBC from Next Thing

Wed Nov 02, 2016 2:42 pm

Interesting reading this old thread with people saying sub $10 SBC just isn't feasible,
and less than 6 months later the Raspberry Pi Zero was released for $5 ...
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

fruitoftheloom

PocketC.H.I.P Updates

Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:32 am

Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

scruss

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:31 pm

Yeah, I just flashed my PocketCHIP last night, which took two different computers and three different USB cables before I got a combination that worked. Had to do it in Chrome running as root on my Linux box. It's a fiddly process involving taking apart the PocketCHIP, a Chrome plugin, a jumper, and just the right USB cable. Props to NTC for labelling the IO headers on the C.H.I.P., though: the port names are printed on the side.

The flash procedure completely wipes the device, so anything you'd set up (ssh keys, wireless access details, timezones) are gone. The flash "upgrade" is useful: mine is now showing 6.6 GB free. Haven't tried anything 3D accelerated yet.

Apart from the dire keyboard (and minor gripe at no speaker), the fit and finish of the PocketCHIP is pretty neat.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

mikronauts

Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:49 pm

I finally got notification that the C.H.I.P's I order on March 23rd shipped today.

Seven months, eight days - and will apparently take two weeks to get here.

At least they gave me a tracking number.

FYI, I agree, Chip is not as exciting now.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

ViaBitz

Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:07 am

hippy wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:I think the pertinent comment in that blog posting was "So it's not a $9 computer with $20 shipping, it's a $20 dollar computer with $9 shipping". Whatever way you stir that it comes out as a $29 computer that's still kickstarter vapourhardware.
It is only $29 for those who have to pay $20 shipping. The conspiracy theory that they have lowered the product cost and upped the shipping to come to the price they want to charge is pure speculation, isn't proven, and seems rather dubious to me considering $20 can indeed be the cost of shipping a single sub-$10 chip from the US.
Disagree, it's possible to order tiny PCB's and microcontrollers from USA and pay no shipping, so $20 is outrageous. Check out http://oshpark.com, they will post 3 copies of a 1 square inch pcb to you in the UK for $5 INCLUDING SHIPPING and if you want a teensy included last time, I think it was additional $17 - cheapest way to get a teensy.

scruss

Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:17 pm

3× tiny circuit boards plus a no-header Teensy could easily go in a standard envelope as airmail. A C.H.I.P. is much bigger (a PocketCHIP bigger still; plus has a Li battery that limits shipping options) and would need some extra protection.
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

Return to “Off topic discussion”