SDFormatter crashes on Win 7?

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:58 pm

I installed SD Formatter on my Win 7 PC and tried to format a 32G SD card. SD Formatter was slow to load and once it started it went to "Not Responding". I tried starting it as Admin but the same result. I took the card to a old Win XP PC and installed SD Formatter there and it worked.

I set the options to Full Erase and Adjust card size ON. It ran through the format but when it ended it said it did a Quick Format as Erase is not supported. Not sure if this is correct or not.

I don't really understand what happened on Win 7 - after running SD Formatter I could not run it again - there was a process listed for it in Task Manager Processes that would not stop when trying to stop it. After this restarting the PC was hanging up and had to be manually shut down.

Is there something on Win 7 that interferes with SD Formatter? It is running AVAST antivirus and Comodo firewall.

W. H. Heydt

Re: SDFormatter crashes on Win 7?

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:22 am

I've been using SDFormatter on a Win7 system for close to 3 years without any problems, so the program itself is okay with Win 7.

MrEngman

Wed Apr 29, 2015 12:48 am

I'm also using SDFormatter on Win 7 without problems. Have you got an up to date version compatible with Win 7?

Regarding the erase you will need to use Format Type FULL(overwrite) rather than FULL(erase) although it does take some time. However, I normally find Format Type QUICK works fine.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Apr 29, 2015 2:36 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:I've been using SDFormatter on a Win7 system for close to 3 years without any problems, so the program itself is okay with Win 7.
Yup I have been using it for years (several versions) on win7 with no problems.

instead of erase you need to select overwrite if you want to really zero the card.

it looks like it might not have installed correctly so i'd uninstall it, use something like ccleaner to wipe out any remnants and then do a reinstall and see if that helps

ktb

Wed Apr 29, 2015 3:50 am

This happened to me at least three times on my Windows 7 Professional (64) laptop back in December. You're not alone. I stopped using it. BTW, it didn't matter if the card was in a USB SD card adapter or in the laptop's built-in sd card slot. The freezing issue occurred in both cases. One more thing, Win7 compatibility mode did not help.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:38 am

SDFormatter V4.0 was working O.K. for me back in March on an HP Compaq laptop running an "oldish" (ie. recently re-installed from a recovery image) version of Windows 7 ("homestyle" not Professional) for this test of NOOBS 1.4:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... 14P2B.html
Trev.

Edit.:
I've just spotted that the O.P. was using a 32Gb SDHC(?) card - I wonder if that's where the problem lies?
Still running Raspbian Jessie on some older Pi's (an A, B1, B2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W) but Stretch on my 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, A+ and a B2. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

MrEngman

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:45 am

I'm using Sandisk Ultra microUSB 32GB cards on various versions of the Pi and have no problems formatting them when needed, although I have Win 7 Ultimate.

MrEngman
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

mikerr

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:50 am

Just checked, and I'm currently using SDformatter version 3.1 ok on Win7 and 8.1
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

thielfer

Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:10 pm

Ha dthe same issue with version 3.x which suddenly stopped working after one "hangup" and was always appearing as a process but never shown up the GUI. Uninstalled it and re-downloaded it from official website - this time it was v4.

Initially after first run I was pissed as I couldn't see the GUI again but eventually it shown up as it took longer to load.
I guess it's a random occurrence.

Stratcat

Tue Apr 23, 2019 9:57 am

Did anybody get a solution to this. I have a dual boot PC XP Pro 32Bit and win 7 Pro 64bit. and SD formatter 5.0.1 freezes under WIndows7 Pro but NOT under XP Pro.

I've seen loads of people saying similar problems under windows 7 pro 64 bit but no solution. I contacted SD collective and they came back with lots of questions that I have answered but they have yet to provide anything worthwhile. SO far I'm not impressed with the SD software.

Return to “Off topic discussion”