Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Choosing a VPS service.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 9:58 pm

Since I can´t get to my router from the internet (which means I can´t access my Pis remotely) I was adivsed to use some kind of VPS service. (viewtopic.php?p=741096#p741096)

I´ve been reading about different providers and what they offer and I´ve made a small list with features and costs. I´li appreciate if anyone here can give some advise and help me decide for one of these.

Here they are:

Crissic
https://crissic.net/openvz_vps
4 core VPS with 1GB RAM,150GB storage, 3TB bandwidth, 1 ip (ipv4) and 64 ipv6, 1GBps port.
COST: US$5.00 monthly.

Ramnode
http://www.ramnode.com/vps.php
2 core VPS with 512MB RAM, 150GB storage, 2TB bandwidth, 1 ip (ipv4) and 64 ipv6.
COST: US$5.00 monthly.

Wable (they rent web space so you can setup your VPS on their space)
https://wable.com/
1-2 vps with 2 core CPUs, 1GB RAM, 40GB storage, 3TB bandwidth, 4 ip (ipv4 I assume?) 2-10 Gigabit ports.
COST: US$6.00 monthly

Servermania
http://www.servermania.com/linux-ssd-ca ... ecials.htm
VPS with 2GB RAM, 100GB storage, 3TB bandwidth, 4 ip (ipv4 I assume?), 100mbps
COST: US$56.00 year

Kimsufi
http://www.kimsufi.com/ca/en/
Kimsufi offer dedicated servers at very low prices. Unfortunately right now those are out of stock, but interesting option nevertheless.
Server with 1 core CPU, 2GB RAM, 500GB storage, 128 ip (ipv6), 100mbps port.
COST:US$6.99 monthly.

I´ll be glad to read your opinions.

RobHenry

Re: Choosing a VPS service.

Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:56 pm

I can't offer any advice about which to choose but I'm intrigued to know what you plan to do with the virtual machine. Having read your other post I don't understand how this will solve the problem of not being able to access your pi camera remotely.

Do you have a plan to send the camera output to the vps and then connect to the vps from anywhere? Wouldn't a different ISP be an easier solution?

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:23 pm

I'm planning to establish a reverse tunnel between my pi and the vps and then forward some ports, so if, for example I connect to the vps' port 2222 it'll forward data to the pi's port 22... You get the idea.

Changing isp might seem easier but here in Perú we only have 4 or 5 of them (not much to choose from) and the service I have is tied to telephony and cable. And besides another isp doesn't necessarily mean access to my router...

Additionally I'd like to try to setup a VPN and see for myself what all the hassle is about.

RobHenry

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:34 pm

Thanks for replying to satisfy my curiosity. Good luck and sorry I can't help your selection of hosting service.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Wed Apr 22, 2015 11:43 pm

I've bounced around all kinds of cheap hosting and vps services and found that at the end of the day, you get what you pay for.

I've settled on Linode and have been using them for quite a few years. So far has been no downtime, 2 scheduled reboots, complete access to everything I've needed. Oh, and you get the specs that are actually advertised. Many vps services report more RAM than you can actually use, have technical issues, require you to go back and forth on tickets to get anything changed outside of the VM container itself and so on.

ktb

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:05 am

I recommend Linode too. I've also had a good experience with DigitalOcean.

persianphilosopher

Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:52 am

Hi,
I have been researching this exact issue for a couple of weeks. Although I do have a kimsufi account, I have been looking at a separate venue for my pi.
Kimsufi is a branch of ovh I believe and the quality of the server has been top notch. With those prices, you don't get much help or customer service but that's to be expected.
Ovh has a cheap vps for $2.99 a month. I have been considering it and thought to mention it just in case.

blc

Thu Apr 23, 2015 1:49 pm

ktb wrote:I recommend Linode too. I've also had a good experience with DigitalOcean.
I was about to suggest DigitalOcean. They've been running my site for a while now.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:31 pm

Thanks for your replies guys. Based on what you've saidI think I'll have to increase my budget a little bit.... What are the services you have with Linode, Digital Ocean and Kimsufi (or any other one you use)?

ktb

Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:49 pm

I manage a handful of servers at DigitalOcean. Two of them are my personal mail server ($10/month) and an application (and database) server ($20/month) I use for development. The $5/month VMs may require a bit of tweaking in order to run certain things reliably and there are some duties for which they are inadequate. I suppose it depends on what you need to have running. I think Linode and DigitalOcean are fairly similar when it comes to cost/specs.

Jednorozec

Fri Apr 24, 2015 1:42 am

I've had shared hosting with ASmallOrange for a number of years now and have been happy with them. They have cloud VPS starting at $20/month.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Apr 24, 2015 6:22 am

Today I found this provider:

https://www.datasoft.ws/

I don´t know if they´re good or bad yet BUT they offer 5 day trial. I signed up for the "4 core 4GB server" - didn´t have to enter payment details or anything, just placed my order and they activated it. So far I´ve configured a reverse SSH tunnel which lets me enter my Pi as I used to before my ISP blocked me. Tomorrow I´ll try with VNC. As I said, I don´t know if I´ll stay with them or anything, but hey, you can´t beat free, even if only for 5 days! And it´ll give me the chance to experiment and learn about this stuff.

Any other options you´d like to tell me about?

ShiftPlusOne

Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:16 am

I started with vps just to run a minecraft server. Then I didn't have time for it and handed the MC stuff to somebody else and used the server for a wordpress site. Now I don't have time for that either, so I use it to host a debian repo for testing things. It's just handy to have a reliable server 'out there' for such things.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:34 pm

A minecraft server..... my son would be delighted to be able to play with something like that. Is it too CPU hungry? I remember reading that some of the providers I´ve mentioned won´t allow game servers.

Well, so far I´ve been able to connect to my Pi using SSH and VNC and it´s all been working ok. I can even use Raspicam Remote again (no video streaming yet, but I´ll get to that eventually). The server has been responding nicely but I´m sure this things I´ve been doing are lightweight.

Next thing to try: OpenVPN.

kcx

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:09 pm

If the goal is just to have a few ssh port forwards going on you can probably easily get away with the free tier of Amazon Web Services (aws).

ShiftPlusOne

Sun Apr 26, 2015 3:48 pm

Tzarls wrote:A minecraft server..... my son would be delighted to be able to play with something like that. Is it too CPU hungry?
It likes to eat up RAM and IO. The world is split up in 'chunks' and chunks which aren't used aren't loaded. But if you have more than a few people and they start exploring, the server needs to keep a lot more chunks in memory (in some cases, generate them). Then things get frustrating if chunks get corrupted and so on. Those kind of things only star to be a problem later on, so it's certainly worth having a play around with. I don't know what the thing to use now is, but back then, we used 'bukkit' for the plugins to make the world more interesting, stop griefers and detect cheaters.

blc

Sat May 02, 2015 12:32 am

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Tzarls wrote:A minecraft server..... my son would be delighted to be able to play with something like that. Is it too CPU hungry?
It likes to eat up RAM and IO. The world is split up in 'chunks' and chunks which aren't used aren't loaded. But if you have more than a few people and they start exploring, the server needs to keep a lot more chunks in memory (in some cases, generate them). Then things get frustrating if chunks get corrupted and so on. Those kind of things only star to be a problem later on, so it's certainly worth having a play around with. I don't know what the thing to use now is, but back then, we used 'bukkit' for the plugins to make the world more interesting, stop griefers and detect cheaters.
(Little bit late on the reply, I know)...

If you have more than 3/4 players, or you all explore quite far, Minecraft takes a surprising amount of resources. For a minecraft server you really need a host with an SSD, ideally.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 02, 2015 12:42 am

blc wrote:For a minecraft server you really need a host with an SSD, ideally.
Or a ramdisk/tmpfs with regular backups to disk.

Tzarls
Authorised Reseller
Authorised Reseller

Sat May 02, 2015 1:35 am

Will have to try it one day... would it be possible to build one locally? I have a couple of old PCs lying around and it would be a nice experience to turn one of them into a server. What do you consider as minimum specs for a server for maybe 3 or 4 local players? No SSDs here but maybe a pair of HDs in RAID 0 could work?

Back on topic, I signed for a month with the last provider I mentioned (Datasoft) in order to complete the configuration I was experimenting with - so far everyhing has worked fine. I even submited a pair of tickets for some things I wanted to be enabled and they replied very quickly (except for the one I submited today, but I suppose that´s to be expected). Pinging (is that even a word?) the server usually reports about 120 - 150ms of roundtrip time. From what I´ve read I´ve learnt that´s not the best time but it works for me. The only problem I´ve had is that I haven´t been able to route all my traffic thru OpenVPN, apparently because iptable_nat isn´t enabled on the host machine. I´m waiting for them to enable it and see how it goes.

ShiftPlusOne

Sat May 02, 2015 2:02 am

Tzarls wrote:Will have to try it one day... would it be possible to build one locally? I have a couple of old PCs lying around and it would be a nice experience to turn one of them into a server. What do you consider as minimum specs for a server for maybe 3 or 4 local players? No SSDs here but maybe a pair of HDs in RAID 0 could work?
I think it will depend on the plugins, your configuration and what people do on the server. No harm in giving it a go and figuring out where you want to go from there.

Return to “Off topic discussion”