liderbug

A ?rant? about CUPS

Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:33 pm

So I bring up cups - lh:631
"Here's the printer(s) I see on a USB port"
ah.. yup. that one [Click]
"What driver do you want?"
that one on top [click]
"Go get a cup of coffee, take a nap - because I'm going to load 17,247 driver options from some server on Mars at 19.2" (ya-all have a nice day now)

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
And I'm still waiting....

mrpi64

Re: A ?rant? about CUPS

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:35 pm

Bad luck :D .
What printer is it?
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

liderbug

Sat Feb 28, 2015 2:48 am

> What printer?
I've tried: Hp1200, Hp2310, Epson 3540. Cups seems to run at a reasonable speed (click button... new screen). Until it gets to Name:
Model no: etc and is going to list every driver in the world for that manuf. And when I pull the scroll bar down, it pops right back to the top until, 10-15 minutes later the "Select" button shows up. On my laptop or my desktop we're talking 5-10 seconds.

Any help - well once working I won't need to pick a new driver. It's just that this project..... (dont' ask).
cal

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:54 am

liderbug wrote:> What printer?
I've tried: Hp1200, Hp2310, Epson 3540. Cups seems to run at a reasonable speed (click button... new screen). Until it gets to Name:
Model no: etc and is going to list every driver in the world for that manuf. And when I pull the scroll bar down, it pops right back to the top until, 10-15 minutes later the "Select" button shows up. On my laptop or my desktop we're talking 5-10 seconds.

Any help - well once working I won't need to pick a new driver. It's just that this project..... (dont' ask).
cal
You have never stated what Printer you are trying to install, you never stated what Operating System, rather than venting ask for help as CUPS may need additional "Drivers" :roll:

Have you full updated Operating System ?

HP, one can use HPLIP Software instead of CUPS

Canon, Epson, Lexmark, Sony, Olympus, and PCL printers may require Gutenprint
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

liderbug

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:10 pm

I did state 3 different printers I tried (> What printer?
I've tried: Hp1200, Hp2310, Epson 3540.). The system is 2015-Rasbarian, updated&upgraded. (sorry for not stating that before). Again, when CUPS, at least on my system, says "I see a HP-1200 printer" and proceeds to display drivers for 2805 options (I counted them). Now on my Linux desktop it takes maybe 1 second to create the html code for the "select, option, option, option......" part of the web page. On my RasPi it takes 10 minutes - I timed it - before it finishes and I can "select". Is it just "my" system? or does this happen to others?

Thanks

DougieLawson

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:16 pm

sudo apt-get install hpijs hplip
Those work with my ancient HP6840 wireless printer
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:23 pm

liderbug wrote:I did state 3 different printers I tried (> What printer?
I've tried: Hp1200, Hp2310, Epson 3540.). The system is 2015-Rasbarian, updated&upgraded. (sorry for not stating that before). Again, when CUPS, at least on my system, says "I see a HP-1200 printer" and proceeds to display drivers for 2805 options (I counted them). Now on my Linux desktop it takes maybe 1 second to create the html code for the "select, option, option, option......" part of the web page. On my RasPi it takes 10 minutes - I timed it - before it finishes and I can "select". Is it just "my" system? or does this happen to others?

Thanks
The reason for queerying printer is you have missed out the full name of the printer, it may be why you have many options..

I personally have used HPLIP and CUPS without error, though it is not as speedy as a desktop PC it is "usable", the RPi2 B is a great improvement
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 28, 2015 12:29 pm

DougieLawson wrote:sudo apt-get install hpijs hplip
HP Deskjet 6840 :?:

DougieLawson

Sat Feb 28, 2015 1:24 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:sudo apt-get install hpijs hplip
HP Deskjet 6840 :?:
Yes. It's old (15,000 pages on the clock), it's clunky, it doesn't do WPA2, but it spits out double-sided pieces of paper with multi-coloured marks that resemble the documents that I'm trying to print.

It's a ten year old printer.
http://www.cnet.com/uk/products/hp-deskjet-6840/
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Return to “Off topic discussion”