aTao

Locked threads

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:27 am

What is it about a locked thread that just makes you think of something really insightful to write?
>)))'><'(((<

joan

Re: Locked threads

Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:31 am

Adult beverages have the same effect on me. :D

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:11 pm

aTao wrote:What is it about a locked thread that just makes you think of something really insightful to write?

Start a new thread!

Mods have been discussing this recently - been a couple of impressive thread necros! Not sure whether to auto close threads after a certain time period, or just let them die off and risk necro'ing
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

PeterO

Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:44 pm

Would it be enough to add an extra "Do you really want to reply to this thread because it is more than 6 months old" step before the reply entry screen ?

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:51 pm

jamesh wrote:
aTao wrote:What is it about a locked thread that just makes you think of something really insightful to write?

Start a new thread!

Mods have been discussing this recently - been a couple of impressive thread necros! Not sure whether to auto close threads after a certain time period, or just let them die off and risk necro'ing
It makes sense to auto lock them. Lots of stuff for the Pi1B is completely wrong for the B+ and Pi2B.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

rpdom

Sun Feb 22, 2015 3:57 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
It makes sense to auto lock them.
After how long? Six months, a year? Just asking, not against the idea.
Lots of stuff for the Pi1B is completely wrong for the B+ and Pi2B.
But quite a lot of it is still valid for A/B[+]. There are one or two people still using those ;)

DougieLawson

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:13 pm

rpdom wrote: But quite a lot of it is still valid for A/B[+]. There are one or two people still using those ;)
There's nothing wrong with a new thread with a link back to the old locked one.

Six months since the last post & lock seems like a sensible option.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

aTao

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:27 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
rpdom wrote: But quite a lot of it is still valid for A/B[+]. There are one or two people still using those ;)
There's nothing wrong with a new thread with a link back to the old locked one.

Six months since the last post & lock seems like a sensible option.
I feel a bit weird about auto lock, or even the whole derision of "necro" threads. It seems to imply that anything that can be said has been said and that anyone that was no part of the conversation can have nothing to contribute. If there is a certainty about old threads is that the person wishing to add to it must have used some search feature to find it, and that seems to be quite a bonus, a strong hint that they are actually trying to work out what they want to know.
>)))'><'(((<

Ravenous

Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:48 am

Yeah, what if the original builder of a project wants to come back a year later with an update of how it went, and any revisions? I'm sure there have been a few threads like that.

(Admittedly most ancient thread resurrections aren't so useful, but a few are.)

rpdom

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:10 am

Ravenous wrote:Yeah, what if the original builder of a project wants to come back a year later with an update of how it went, and any revisions? I'm sure there have been a few threads like that.
How about an option where the original creator of the thread can still post and thus unlock the suspended thread?
Obviously this would only apply to threads that have been auto-locked due to age, not ones where Mods have locked due to content.

jamesh

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:11 am

It more to deal with first time posters popping up and commenting on a three year old thread (sometimes OK, sometimes spammers). If people comes back and want to update, as Dougie says above, start a new thread and link back to the old one.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

AndyD

Mon Feb 23, 2015 10:16 am

I am sure that the Mods would reopen threads that were automatically locked if they thought it was a reasonable request!

SteveDee

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:28 am

I've never understood this obsession with closing old threads. What harm does it do to leave them open?

If someone wrote a year ago that they were having a problem with such-n-such, is it a problem if someone comes along and says "did you ever find a fix for this?"

If you want something to worry about, it should be mega-threads.

Take a look at this one: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=32605 ...18 pages! Ridiculus!
My remaining life is too short to wade through that lot looking for the useful stuff.

It would be a great service to everyone (...well, me at least) if useful mega-threads were edited down to just the useful posts.

...no don't squeal! You know what I mean. The posts that say "Great, I'll try that when I get back from the Stamp Collectors Federation meeting in Chicago"

jamesh

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:44 am

SteveDee wrote:I've never understood this obsession with closing old threads. What harm does it do to leave them open?

If someone wrote a year ago that they were having a problem with such-n-such, is it a problem if someone comes along and says "did you ever find a fix for this?"

If you want something to worry about, it should be mega-threads.

Take a look at this one: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 43&t=32605 ...18 pages! Ridiculus!
My remaining life is too short to wade through that lot looking for the useful stuff.

It would be a great service to everyone (...well, me at least) if useful mega-threads were edited down to just the useful posts.

...no don't squeal! You know what I mean. The posts that say "Great, I'll try that when I get back from the Stamp Collectors Federation meeting in Chicago"
We are being a bit more proactive in culling out unnecessary data in current threads. But life its too short to go through the current database and do that to older ones.

PiGraham

Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:50 am

jamesh wrote:It more to deal with first time posters popping up and commenting on a three year old thread (sometimes OK, sometimes spammers). If people comes back and want to update, as Dougie says above, start a new thread and link back to the old one.
The problem with that is that people may find the old thread and not the follow-up. Lots of threads, specially problem reporting threads, will be irrelevant because a fix has been applied, but then an update in the thread saying so would be helpful.

Topics about projects, that may run for months or years, should remain open for updates.

IMHO

blc

Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:14 pm

I can see the issue from a moderation point of view, but I guess it comes down to a question of style/preference. I often update existing threads, even if they're quite old. Why open a new thread when there's already a thread discussing the exact same thing?
SteveDee wrote:If you want something to worry about, it should be mega-threads.

That's not a mega-thread... :)

I've been a member of the bit-tech.net forums for some 13 years now and that place has some long threads. There's one in particular discussing mechanical keyboards; it's been going since December 2011 and has now reached: 22,114 replies, 1106 pages, and 1,250,869 views. Now that is a mega-thread! :D

SteveDee

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:24 pm

blc wrote:... it's been going since December 2011 and has now reached: 22,114 replies, 1106 pages, and 1,250,869 views. Now that is a mega-thread! :D
No, that's a Giga-Thread....we've already banned those here!

blc

Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:30 pm

SteveDee wrote:
blc wrote:... it's been going since December 2011 and has now reached: 22,114 replies, 1106 pages, and 1,250,869 views. Now that is a mega-thread! :D
No, that's a Giga-Thread....we've already banned those here!
Yeah, it is a bit ridiculous to say the least - it's impossible to follow the discussion unless you're catching up daily. Still, it's helped me source replacement springs and keys for my IBM Model M :)

mrpi64

Fri Feb 27, 2015 6:46 pm

jamesh wrote:

Start a new thread!

I don't think you should ever close old threads. Although I guess you could request an unlocking.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Feb 27, 2015 11:47 pm

blc wrote: I've been a member of the bit-tech.net forums for some 13 years now and that place has some long threads. There's one in particular discussing mechanical keyboards; it's been going since December 2011 and has now reached: 22,114 replies, 1106 pages, and 1,250,869 views. Now that is a mega-thread! :D
To which I say: Unicomp Model M.

Mandrewpi

Mon Mar 02, 2015 4:59 am

[quote="rpdom"[/quote]
But quite a lot of it is still valid for A/B[+]. There are one or two people still using those ;)[/quote]
I got a B two months ago, it is still rather new in my mind, and I'm 16, but its old school now :cry: I think time is speeding up
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

blc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 5:49 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:To which I say: Unicomp Model M.
And to which I would retort, IBM Model M :D. Although I need replacement caps, and a few springs have gone which means I'll probably need to bolt-mod it to replace the springs.

aTao

Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:34 pm

blc wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:To which I say: Unicomp Model M.
And to which I would retort, IBM Model M :D. Although I need replacement caps, and a few springs have gone which means I'll probably need to bolt-mod it to replace the springs.
Whats the big deal with replacement springs? Springs can be (and are) made to spec to order., Heck you could even give it a go yourself with no more than a bit of off the shelf spring steel and a gas hob.
>)))'><'(((<

blc

Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:21 pm

aTao wrote:Whats the big deal with replacement springs? Springs can be (and are) made to spec to order., Heck you could even give it a go yourself with no more than a bit of off the shelf spring steel and a gas hob.
In the case of Model M keyboards, the buckling springs wear out over time. This keyboard was originally made in 1989 and over a 26-year life-span you're bound to get some wear. Most of them are fine, but one or two no longer buckle properly and don't make contact when the keys are depressed. Replacing a spring means that you have to break off the melted plastic rivets that hold the entire mechanism together, so you have "bolt-mod" it to put it back together.

aTao

Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:51 am

blc wrote:
aTao wrote:Whats the big deal with replacement springs? Springs can be (and are) made to spec to order., Heck you could even give it a go yourself with no more than a bit of off the shelf spring steel and a gas hob.
In the case of Model M keyboards, the buckling springs wear out over time. This keyboard was originally made in 1989 and over a 26-year life-span you're bound to get some wear. Most of them are fine, but one or two no longer buckle properly and don't make contact when the keys are depressed. Replacing a spring means that you have to break off the melted plastic rivets that hold the entire mechanism together, so you have "bolt-mod" it to put it back together.
Ahhh. Thanks.

Perhaps a job for a 3D printer....
>)))'><'(((<

Return to “Off topic discussion”