Grave02
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:06 pm

Getting a Raspberry pi 2 soon, and learning things to do with it. Can you put Win XP on this thing? It would be really cool to have as a backup comp if it could work.

I know there was a way to emulate XP on the first Pi but, it was supposed to be too slow. The new Pi however, is supposed to be a whopping 6x faster, plus 1GB of ram. Should be plenty powerful enough.

Any help would be appreciated.

User avatar
joan
Posts: 14469
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2012 5:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:10 pm

No.

User avatar
AndyD
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:13 pm

No, even with the quad-core (ARM) CPU you would be very disappointed trying to emulate an Intel X86 CPU to run Windows XP. The recommended OS is Raspbian, which is Debian/Linux with many tweaks specific to the Raspberry Pi.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21041
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:32 pm

Grave02 wrote:Getting a Raspberry pi 2 soon, and learning things to do with it. Can you put Win XP on this thing? It would be really cool to have as a backup comp if it could work.

I know there was a way to emulate XP on the first Pi but, it was supposed to be too slow. The new Pi however, is supposed to be a whopping 6x faster, plus 1GB of ram. Should be plenty powerful enough.

Any help would be appreciated.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 95#p699790
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Grave02
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:06 pm

Darn.

Ok so on the topic of existing software, like emulators, how backward compatible is the Pi 2 so far?

User avatar
iinnovations
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:01 am

How many times can it be said: get ARM software or get an x86.
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

Joe Schmoe
Posts: 4277
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:11 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:08 am

I think for most people telling them to run either non-Windows software or non-x86 software is like asking them to eat bugs.

That is (and listen carefully), it would never occur to them as an alternative or as a viable course of action, even though it would actually be good for them. (I'm serious - bugs are actually a good food source - but most Western people just wouldn't consider it - much as they wouldn't consider running non-Windows or non-x86 software)
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

Grave02
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:35 am

Again i ask, how is the backward compatablity with existing Pi software, on the New Pi 2?

Anyway, i'm a fan of windows. Its what i've always used and has worked out great for all my computing needs. I'm ready to check out new stuff though. How viable is the Raspbian O.S, in terms of the overall computer experience?

User avatar
kvclt
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:37 am
Location: Charlotte, NC, USA

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 2:49 am

After the release of the Pi 2, Windows announced that a version of Windows 10 would be available in the future for Pi users. The following article and more info can be found at http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/r ... pi2support
"We’re excited to announce that we are expanding our Windows Developer Program for IoT by delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2. This release of Windows 10 will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT. ........ We are excited about our partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2, and we will be sharing more details about our Windows 10 plans for IoT in the coming months. By joining our program you will be amongst the first to receive new information about the Windows Developer Program for IoT including product information, beta programs and releases."


Hope this helps,
Kai
Pies are delicious; Pi's are the best
What do they have in common?
They're both awesome!! ;)

User avatar
iinnovations
Posts: 621
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2013 5:17 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:09 am

It really just depends on what you want to do. (tm)
CuPID Controls :: Open Source browser-based sensor and device control
interfaceinnovations.org/cupidcontrols.html
cupidcontrols.com

steev
Posts: 87
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:08 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:59 am

Grave02 wrote:Again i ask, how is the backward compatablity with existing Pi software, on the New Pi 2?
It is fully compatible with existing Pi software, but the OS images need to be updated (which many have done already)

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21041
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:19 am

Grave02 wrote:Again i ask, how is the backward compatablity with existing Pi software, on the New Pi 2?

Anyway, i'm a fan of windows. Its what i've always used and has worked out great for all my computing needs. I'm ready to check out new stuff though. How viable is the Raspbian O.S, in terms of the overall computer experience?
If you purchased the RPi with the intention of running WXP then you were mis-informed when undertaking research prior to purchasing.

Raspbian OS latest release is compatible with all models of the Raspberry Pi.

The Raspberry Pi is not aimed at being a Desktop PC replacement, it is aimed at learning and for users to understand that there is more to computing than just a fancy GUI where one just installs software.

Saying that if you are patient then Raspbian OS can be used for Word Processing, Internet Surfing and other activities you undertake in WXP, but a £20.00 good spec Desktop SKt478 PC circa 2005 running WXP will be faster.

So my advice is to look thru the RPF Website http://www.raspberrypi.org and also have a good read of the MagPi magazine http://www.themagpi.com to get an idea of what can be learnt and the projects others have been inspired to undertake.

Good luck in your endeavours...
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21041
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:21 am

kvclt wrote:After the release of the Pi 2, Windows announced that a version of Windows 10 would be available in the future for Pi users. The following article and more info can be found at http://dev.windows.com/en-us/featured/r ... pi2support
"We’re excited to announce that we are expanding our Windows Developer Program for IoT by delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2. This release of Windows 10 will be free for the Maker community through the Windows Developer Program for IoT. ........ We are excited about our partnership with the Raspberry Pi Foundation and delivering a version of Windows 10 that supports Raspberry Pi 2, and we will be sharing more details about our Windows 10 plans for IoT in the coming months. By joining our program you will be amongst the first to receive new information about the Windows Developer Program for IoT including product information, beta programs and releases."


Hope this helps,
Kai
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 54#p699115
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15572
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:37 am

Grave02 wrote:How viable is the Raspbian O.S, in terms of the overall computer experience?
Eh? It's Linux. A heck of a lot of people have been using Linux as an OS for decades. It's been my only desktop and server OS for over ten years now. I wouldn't go back to Windows for personal use for anything, and for professional use you'd have to pay me a lot to make me switch back. It is so much more flexible and gives the user/admin much more control. :)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11063
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:44 am

Grave02 wrote:Again i ask, how is the backward compatablity with existing Pi software, on the New Pi 2?

Anyway, i'm a fan of windows. Its what i've always used and has worked out great for all my computing needs. I'm ready to check out new stuff though. How viable is the Raspbian O.S, in terms of the overall computer experience?
What does Windows do that the LXDE GUI doesn't do? While specific programs (e.g. MS Office) won't run on a Pi, the same functionality is available (e.g. OpenOffice/LibreOffice). There are exceptions, of course (e.g. Flash, which should be killed off anyway).

If you can specify what exact functions or tools you are looking for, someone will probably point to a Linux equivalent that runs on the Pi.

In addition, with Linux you get free access to a great many tools that are expensive and/or difficult to get for Windows. When was the last time you saw a Windows system with a C or FORTRAN compiler?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21041
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 7:19 am

Microsoft Office is quite often stated as a de-facto must have and for most users the free on line web browser versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint are adequate.

https:// office.live.com is "usable" in Epiphany Web Browser
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

mimi123
Posts: 583
Joined: Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:32 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:40 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Microsoft Office is quite often stated as a de-facto must have and for most users the free on line web browser versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint are adequate.

https:// office.live.com is "usable" in Epiphany Web Browser
Agree, but Office 365 is missing quite a lot of functions(my school uses that).

Grave02
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:56 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:10 am

Well i mainly bought the Pi 2 with the intention of using it as a retro gaming machine with XMBC capability.

But i wouldn't mind checking out other stuff. I've always been a Windows user and will continue to be, although i've never once touched a linux machine. I'm also curious to try one out. Raspbian seems to be the best equipped Raspberry Pi O.S, am i right?

User avatar
AndyD
Posts: 2333
Joined: Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:13 am
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Contact: Website

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:36 am

Raspbian is the official OS of the Raspberry Pi. It would be the OS of choice to start exploring Linux on the Raspberry Pi. Plenty of help here on the forum for Raspbian.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 24117
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 11:52 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:Microsoft Office is quite often stated as a de-facto must have and for most users the free on line web browser versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint are adequate.

https:// office.live.com is "usable" in Epiphany Web Browser
TBH, I prefer Google Drive. Not tried that on the Pi2 yet though. For the huge majority of people GD would be sufficient for their office tools need. Although I have heard that LibreOffice works well on Pi2.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 21041
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 1:17 pm

mimi123 wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:Microsoft Office is quite often stated as a de-facto must have and for most users the free on line web browser versions of Word, Excel and PowerPoint are adequate.

https:// office.live.com is "usable" in Epiphany Web Browser
Agree, but Office 365 is missing quite a lot of functions(my school uses that).
It is not Office 365 that is the paid for version, I was talking about the FREE version no payment ;)

I also use Dropbox in a web browser and that is not an issue neither is Google Drive, if one is patient.....
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11063
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:20 pm

Grave02 wrote:Well i mainly bought the Pi 2 with the intention of using it as a retro gaming machine with XMBC capability.

But i wouldn't mind checking out other stuff. I've always been a Windows user and will continue to be, although i've never once touched a linux machine. I'm also curious to try one out. Raspbian seems to be the best equipped Raspberry Pi O.S, am i right?
Consider this... If all you have ever used is Windows, then you don't know what could be better or is missing in Windows. You need to compare Windows to other OSes. The most common other OSes (at present) are Mac OS/X (which is FreeBSD unix at its heart), and Linux (which was written to work like unix).

The Pi can open your eyes to using computers for things you've never thought of doing as well as finding out that MS way of doing things s not the only way to accomplish a given task.

Using Linux will make you a *better* Windows user (because you will get a deeper understanding of what is going on).

User avatar
jbeale
Posts: 3511
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:51 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 8:53 pm

I have Linux and Win 7 computers at home. For web browsing, the OS doesn't really matter. For programming and development, I prefer Linux. For a few things (video editing) I have Windows-only tools (Sony Vegas) for which I have been unable to find satisfactory alternatives. I have found the RPi is a great value and a fun and educational device. It is a fine choice for many things, but not everything.

asandford
Posts: 1997
Joined: Mon Dec 31, 2012 12:54 pm
Location: Waterlooville

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:16 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote: The most common other OSes (at present) are Mac OS/X (which is FreeBSD unix at its heart), and Linux (which was written to work like unix).
All 'mature' OSes want to be like Unix, and Unix wants to be like a mainframe OS...

Port VM to the Pi! :)

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 11063
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Windows XP On Raspberry Pi 2?

Fri Feb 20, 2015 10:09 pm

asandford wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote: The most common other OSes (at present) are Mac OS/X (which is FreeBSD unix at its heart), and Linux (which was written to work like unix).
All 'mature' OSes want to be like Unix, and Unix wants to be like a mainframe OS...

Port VM to the Pi! :)
What? Not OS/MVT?

Return to “Off topic discussion”