Christoph1985

Raspberry Pi PCB supplier

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Hey everyone,

just for my own interest. Is the manufacturer(s) of the PCB known and public?
I just ask for the board itself, not the assembly process.

Or is it a confidential information?

Thanks

dan3008

Re: Raspberry Pi PCB supplier

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:25 am

I think the PCB is built and assembled all at the one factory? (correct me if im wrong)

but i cant remember the name of the factory in Wales off the top of my head
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

RaTTuS

Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:36 am

the board is made in wales and china
however, if your wanting to make one, you will not be able to do it cheaper than the RPi as you cannot source the SOC.

if you want to build a board with a RPi then the Compute module is what you want
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Ravenous

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:21 am

Christoph1985 wrote:PCB
In other words, you want the board itself, and NOT the entire Raspberry Pi. (Pretty sure one person misread this.)

That's presumably down to the manufacturer, whether they get the bare boards from a contractor or in-house I have no idea. We have seen pics of them on the "factory tour" news bits (A piece of board, surrounded by bits that get broken off during assembly) but don't recall hearing anything about the source for these raw boards.

I believe the data files for actually building the boards is kept private at the moment, to protect the manufacturers.

dan3008

Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:47 am

Ah, I see, I thourght that the picture I saw from the "Factory Tour" was the bare PCB being manufactured, before components being added. Having looked back, I can see that it could well just be paneled PCB's being separated ready for components...
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

leon_heller

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:18 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if the PCBs are fab'ed in China.There are numerous suppliers that they they could use.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

Burngate

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:27 pm

From the odd snippets of information around, I've compiled this incomplete list of rumour and speculation.

The Sony factory in Wales assembles the Pi's for both RS and Farnell

The Rasberry Pi Foundation have an agreement with RS and Farnell regarding production and sale of the Pi. That being confidential, we don't know if Sony are a party to that or if they have a separate agreement with the Foundation or with RS or Farnell, or any mix of the three.
We also don't know if their representatives ever arrive at the factory together, and if so, and have lunch, what's on the menu.

Sony maintains two separate stores (cardboard boxes? shelves? storerooms? warehouses?) of components and builds for RS and Farnell on alternate days. Whether Monday is always RS and Sunday is an off-day, or Farnell gets an extra day in leap-years, is unknown.
We also don't know when or how the change-over happens. Does a siren sound at midnight, all the machines halt, and all the staff go to the canteen for a coffee while the security squad check to make sure no RS components are left lying around before the Farnell stuff is allowed in?

We haven't been told whether an RS truck arrives to restock their cardboard box, with a separate Farnell truck for theirs, or they have an arrangement with Eddie Stobart to deliver both. Nor have we been told the name of the engine-driver's daughter.

We also don't know if those components include the bare PCBs, or that is handled separately.

leon_heller

Thu Feb 19, 2015 12:31 pm

Sony doesn't say anything about making PCBs at their Pencoed facility.
Leon Heller
G1HSM

marked

Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:44 pm

Burngate wrote:We haven't been told whether an RS truck arrives to restock their cardboard box, with a separate Farnell truck for theirs, or they have an arrangement with Eddie Stobart to deliver both. Nor have we been told the name of the engine-driver's daughter.
Clearly they have been taking lessons from the left twix/right twix drama...

W. H. Heydt

Thu Feb 19, 2015 5:25 pm

One other thing we know.... When the RPF releases a new product, there is a surge of orders that exceeds any reasonable production capacity and it takes several weeks (at least) the catch up again, which tends to mean shortages of other RPF products.

It's a good thing that the license agreements with RS and Farnell don't let them do "scarcity pricing".

Is there a betting pool for when the supply channel for Pi2Bs will catch up with demand? (If so, put me down for the April/May time frame.)

Return to “Off topic discussion”