jumpman95

Output webcam through HDMI

Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:53 pm

(BUDGET $50-$250)
I'm looking for someone who would be willing to write a simple webcam viewer software that automatically runs when a Pi zero (V1.3) is powered on. I am aware of programs such as "motion" but I am not interested in sending video through the internet, or taking pictures on a timer. I want to plug in a UVC capable device, and send the video feed through HDMI. I have a link to my project page on freelancer that provides further information. (Please note; I am not looking to sell, or market this software in any way. It is intended for my own personal use, though I would like to share it to this forum and others, making it freely available to anyone who would like to use it once it has been made. Full credit for the work would be attributed to whoever wrote the program.)

LINK TO PROJECT PAGE: https://www.freelancer.com/projects/pro ... iewer-for/

coltonj96

Re: Output webcam through HDMI

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 am

Have you looked into using mplayer?

jumpman95

Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:58 am

coltonj96 wrote:
Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:40 am
Have you looked into using mplayer?
I have never used a Rasberry Pi before. I did do a fair bit of searching for several days though, and could only find tutorials on how to stream webcam video through the internet, and not just simply pushing the video out through HDMI. I know that "technically" what I want the Pi to do it should be able to handle. A data transfer rate of 12 megabits a second is required for 720p video (assuming thats at 24fps since the article I got that from is talking about Bluray movies) and the Pi zero can process data at a few megaBYTES a second.
Is there a way mplayer could be configured to run as soon as possible? (without having to load into an entire gui os, just through the kernel) then pick up the signal from a uvc device plugged in through usb, and then output that through HDMI?

ghans

Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:32 am

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install guvcview
ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:40 am

720p24 requires around 12Mbit/s when compressed using h264. Uncompressed it is 1280x720x24x12bpp = 265Mbit/s for YUV420, or 353Mbit/s for yuv422.
The expensive but in processing terms is the conversion from yuv to rgb for rendering to the frame buffer, but a Pi3 should do that fairly happily.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

Return to “Wanted”