GrahamM242

Any Pi users on the Isle of Wight

Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:55 pm

I'm trying to discover if there any any Pi users on the Isle of Wight who might be interesting in meeting up! I'm trying to avoid having to include ferry travel, given that a couple of off-peak day return tickets is more expensive than buying a Pi - and not everyone can afford that. I've seen from a couple of profiles that there there at least two others on the Island.

DougieLawson

Re: Any Pi users on the Isle of Wight

Tue Nov 25, 2014 7:29 pm

You should get in contact with http://twitter.com/Andysc he's the star player on the IoW.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

BMardle

Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:59 pm

I'm on the Island. A meet sounds good.
I'm mostly using my Pi to support the 68000-based computer I'm slowly building for no good reason.
Did some Open GL/ES coding on the Pi a while ago but I think I've mostly forgotten it.
One of these days I'll get the Pi to beep when it should!
Bruce Mardle. "You know I yearn for a simpler time of barn dances and buggy rides before life was cheapened by heartless machines."

makeosaurus

Sun Mar 20, 2016 2:28 pm

I know this is an old thread, but I'm also from the Isle of Wight! I wish we had a hackerspace or an electronics meetup but from what I can find there isn't. Did you ever try to get one together? I would be interested if you want to try it again!

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:23 pm

Lots of people attached to Blackgang Chine - worth contacting @DrLucyRogers. There are sometimes Pi hackathons there. https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/tag/blackgang-chine/
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

makeosaurus

Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 pm

Thanks for letting me know! I will have to get into contact with her to see when the next hackathon is :D :D

simonperry

Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:09 pm

I'd be up for an Isle of Wight Pi meetup too. What's the best way to get this started?

BMardle

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:17 am

I might come along to an IW makery thing. I don't seem to have made anything in recent months, though :(
My Pi 2 is staring at me reproachfully and asking me to finish the robotics project I started with it (interfacing with a LEGO NXT motor and accelerometers/rate gyros).
Bruce Mardle. "You know I yearn for a simpler time of barn dances and buggy rides before life was cheapened by heartless machines."

makeosaurus

Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:39 am

I think I've started something now! I recently looked up to see if there has been a maker space/hackerspace on the island and saw that someone had tried to kickstart one but never got it funded. I think if something similar was done with more publicity to the isle of wight and electronic forums, it could happen. I wouldn't be able to set it up though as I am currently at college and probably wouldn't have the time.

here is the Kickstarter I found:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/17 ... kickrating

its a shame that they deleted their account as it may have been good to get into contact with them :(

I also contacted Dr. Lucy Rogers who has done stuff at Blackgang Chine but I am still awaiting a reply.

Return to “User groups and events”