gebes

Edinburgh Scotland Raspberry Pi Users

Sat Aug 09, 2014 11:36 pm

Hello,

I've been tinkering around with the Raspberry Pi , and have come to a point where I would really appreciate some assistance. Does anyone know of any Edinburgh based user groups, or even if there is an Edinburgh based user who would be willing to meet up?

Thanks in advance if anyone can either help, or put me in contact with a local user group.

Gswg

Re: Edinburgh Scotland Raspberry Pi Users

Sun Aug 24, 2014 4:58 pm

Not too far away from you in Glasgow and have been thinking about trying to organize something around the Pi in Scotland. Anyone else interested in joining up at some point? Anyone got a free location with internet which would host as a suitable venue?

Gordon@iqaudio.com

Oolong

Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:43 pm

It seems like there's relatively little going on up here, Piwise, eh? I see there was a Raspberry Jam in Haddington last May, and there's one in Dundee on Tuesday - https://www.facebook.com/events/528707923967671/ - but I'd welcome meeting other Raspberry Pi users in Edinburgh at some point - I'm using them in teaching at school, but not feeling as inspired about them as I'd like.

...and straight after posting this comment, I saw this (which doesn't seem to appear on the map or in searches yet): something somewhere on the 30th of April (Beltane) - viewtopic.php?uid=120237&f=57&t=139612&start=0

williamhbell

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:20 pm

Hi,

Yes, there do not appear to have been many Raspberry Pi jams in Scotland. Our local council will not allow the teachers to plug their Raspberry Pis into the Ethernet. Therefore, they have put them away in a cupboard.

In case you are interested, I am in the process of organising a Raspberry Pi jam in Edinburgh:
viewtopic.php?f=57&t=139612
We are looking for a few extra projects and should have the Eventbrite page online soon.

Best regards,

Will

Oolong

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:25 pm

Thanks for that, Will! How peculiar of Edinburgh Council. what are they scared of that isn't already a theoretical danger from kids using any kind of computer connected to the internet? Or is that banned in general, too?

(I'm at an independent school, so I had no idea...)

williamhbell

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:41 pm

Oolong wrote:Thanks for that, Will! How peculiar of Edinburgh Council. what are they scared of that isn't already a theoretical danger from kids using any kind of computer connected to the internet? Or is that banned in general, too?

(I'm at an independent school, so I had no idea...)
Hi,

It was not Edinburgh council. (I live on the West side of Scotland and received a few requests for a Raspberry Pi jam in Edinburgh.) They are probably worried about security issues from unmanaged devices and know very little about Linux. They do not want any help though.

Best regards,

Will

TonyD

Mon Mar 14, 2016 2:30 pm

Check out the Edinburgh's hacklab:

http://edinburghhacklab.com/

and the Mini Maker Faire which is next month:

http://makerfaireedinburgh.com/
Tony

Return to “User groups and events”