teknoteacher

Re: Norwich Raspberry Pi User and Developer Group

Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:27 pm

stevepdp wrote:Now comes the really hard work: marketing :cry:

We have this forum entry, the website and the Twitter feed, and I'm going to be mailing each of the lists I'm aware of such as ALUG and Make Norwich shortly.

If you can help in getting the word out in any way, please do so! Particularly if you have hooks into the UEA and City College.
I can help promote the event. Would you like me to help?

I've listed it on the RaspberryJam site. There are other things I can do, but you might not want me to. I've got a http://raspberryjam.org.uk/norwich you can have if you want. It's hidden at present.
Alan O'Donohoe @teknoteacher

stevepdp

Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:47 am

Please feel free to add us on the Raspberry Jam site, tweet about us etc.

While we haven't formerly called this meetup a Raspberry Jam, it's absolutely in the same spirit as the Jams and is likely to attract a similar crowd of all ages and experiences.

Many thanks for your help Alan, it's hugely appreciated :-)

gadgetoid

Sat Aug 25, 2012 7:04 am

Should I bring anything other than myself?

I'll certainly air out the ol' OpenPandora ;)

extravagoose

Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:30 pm

Sorry I wasn't able to make this today. Hope it went well though, hopefully will be up for the next one...
RPi 1: Hostname: Gimli, 500Gb USB HDD, ArchLinux | ARM.
Main Use: Bit of everything - but mainly web server, Network Storage and C programming.

RPi 2: Hostname tba, awaiting delivery.

stevepdp

Sun Aug 26, 2012 10:10 am

Thanks everyone who made it to the meetup. We'll be running it again a month from now.

If you haven't seen them already, I've uploaded some of the pics here, and Gadgetoid wrote a great piece here.

gadgetoid

Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:07 pm

The photos make it look like I spent the entire time on the Pandora :D I think I got caught when I was writing the blog post.

stevepdp

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Evening all.

We have a time, date a venue for the next meeting. It's a few weeks later than we were hoping but better late than never right ;-)

So, the next meetup will be held at House Cafe again, on Saturday 8th December, 12:00-17:00 just as before.

I hope to see you all there again. Please bring along anything cool you've been working on, software/hardware or otherwise.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:04 pm

Steve - can you mail me a little closer to the event to remind me about it so I can tweet something?
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

stevepdp

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:13 pm

liz wrote:Steve - can you mail me a little closer to the event to remind me about it so I can tweet something?
Will do :-)

stevepdp

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:44 pm

I bring some great news this evening.

We're listed in the latest issue of The MagPi. See us under the Raspberry Jams section.

Also, I received a kind email earlier from Quick2Wire who say that they'll be coming along. I suspect they'll be giving demos of their quick2wire Python library, which provides a friendly interface to the GPIO headers.

They also mentioned that they'll be bringing their beta boards for folks to play with :-)

The meeting takes place next Saturday 8th December, details are on the top post and the website. Hope to see you all there!

romilly

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:30 pm

That's a good guess - we'll be happy to show the Python libraries driving the boards. If you'd like a taster, here's one we prepared earlier: http://quick2wire.com/2012/12/see-the-n ... nken-bars/
http://blog.rareschool.com/

stevepdp

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:14 pm

Hey folks.

Just a quick reminder to say that we're meeting tomorrow!

For anybody who cannot make it, I'll be trying to document the event as much as possible.

On a related note, I recently opened a subreddit for the group in an effort to fill the void between meets and collaborate on things. Please take a look, it's at /r/norwichrpi.

See you soon!

Sorceror49

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:27 pm

I live just down the road in GT Yarmouth, so when I have built my Raspberry pi I will try to come to a meeting. I'm a newbie at construction but raring to go! Sorceror49

stevepdp

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:40 am

Glad to have you aboard Sorceror49.

I'm just dropping a note this evening to say that pics from the second meeting have been uploaded here.

Also, Romilly wrote up a nice blog post about the event here.

Thanks everybody who came along yesterday, it was great and I look forward to organising the next one soon.

SoupLab

Fellow Norwich Folk!

Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:29 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm Rachel Rayns, I run a space called Soup Lab on the crossroad of Grapes Hill / Dereham Rd / St Benedict's. Soup Lab is a darkroom, film lab and gallery space for geekery.

We have an exhibition opening tomorrow evening (17/01/13) and one of the exhibitors, has last minute, thought it would be a great idea to show a live twitter feed. I have a spare monitor, multiple suitable power leads, wifi adapters, SD cards etc and I really, really hate the idea of buying a full starter kit from Maplin for £75!

It would only have to be for until Saturday (until I can have one delivered) and I can offer a free darkroom membership for whoever can help out.

And please all feel free to come along to the Private View tomorrow evening - It's 6pm to 8pm, some drinks, geeky art - maybe even warm mulled cider if I get a chance!

Email me at rachel@thesouplab.co.uk

Thanks - I'll try and get along to your next gathering. I'm in the middle of building a RasPi powered hydroponic window garden at the moment (My Pis has already been harvested for another work in the show!) and I could do with some pointers :)

stevepdp

Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:13 pm

Hey folks.

We're upgrading to a new venue for the next meeting.

Meeting details are now as follows:

Saturday 9th March 2013, from 12:00 onwards.
at The Soup Lab, 5 St. Benedict’s View, Grapes Hill, Norwich, NR2 4HH.

As always, we'll post these details to the website. You can also visit The Soup Lab here.

See you there!

stevepdp

Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:38 pm

Hello everyone.

We'll be gathering again:
Saturday 12th April 2014, from 12:00 onwards.
at the upper, mezzanine level of the Norwich Arts Centre Cafe.

Now that we've secured a stable venue, we'll be holding meetings more frequently. We're thinking about bi-monthly meetings. Something like the first or second Saturdays.

That's not the only change though. As part of an effort to bring in more Raspberry Pi enthusiasts and Linux generalists, we'll now be advertising these meetings as Norwich Raspberry Pi + ALUG kit meets. It makes sense to do so since many of the regulars are also long-time ALUG members, and Linux is often at the core of everything both communities do.

On a personal note, I've been slacking in the organisation of this group and also in my responsibilities here as a forum moderator. I made some decisions 18 or so months ago which lead to me quitting my job as a systems administrator, and getting into a bit of a derpy depression. This meant I was all of a sudden trying to figure out what I wanted and needed in life. I neglected many friends in the process, and I openly apologise.

You'll be pleased to hear that for almost nine months, I've been enjoying life working as a full time junior web developer. The confidence and creative juice this position has given me has lead to a flood of ideas that have inspired me to pick up my Pi once again. Working in web development has reminded me of exactly why I gravitated towards this community in the first place. I came here with a desire to learn programming for interactive art and games. These ideas for the longest time seemed out of reach, but recently I've felt that these skills are within my grasp. It comes with a little real-world experience I guess ;)

I see web development as a healthy start in the process of getting there. I'm cutting my teeth on all the popular front-end technologies and will continue to do so for some time. But in my personal time, I have been pursuing Python, PyGame and frequenting game development forums and industry-oriented sites. Thus, the Raspberry Pi is once again at the forefront of my mind, as I see an open game development tool and supporting community whenever I look at it.

Consider this my focus going forward, and I hope that once again I'll be able to meaningfully contribute and fill in wherever I am knowledgeable.

Best wishes, and see you at the next meetup!

Return to “User groups and events”