optimus

Rasp Pi Stackexhange Site Proposal

Sun May 20, 2012 6:22 am

Hi,

There is a proposal to create a Raspberry Pi Stackexchange site here:

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposa ... spberry-pi

This isn't my initiative but I think it's a brilliant idea and am happy to spread the word! And I'm sure there's a few people here with stackexhange accounts who could lend some weight. The initial proposal has been accepted and now the site needs a few more 'likes' to move to the beta stage (in which a site is created).

There is a chance the group scope could eventually move to encompass all micro-computing or possibly embedded devices. But the proposal itself is based on Raspberry Pi.

In any case, I just thought I'd pass on the link to help everyone out. Share and enjoy etc!

domesday

Re: Rasp Pi Stackexhange Site Proposal

Sun May 20, 2012 10:22 am

I don't mean to sound negative but what is wrong with the forum and the Wiki, what would this idea add ?

nick.mccloud

Sun May 20, 2012 11:36 am

Pithy answers rather than long rambling dialog?

finnw

Fri May 25, 2012 6:48 pm

domesday wrote:I don't mean to sound negative but what is wrong with the forum and the Wiki, what would this idea add ?
  • Ability to tag questions (and search by tag)
  • Duplicate questions get deleted quickly
  • "Holy war" discussions get closed quickly
  • Most interesting questions get upvoted & bumped to the top of the front page

optimus

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm

FYI this group was accepted and is undergoing a closed beta; it should be generally available within 2 days and can be reached via:
http://raspberrypi.stackexchange.com

Plenty of activity already!

SN

Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:33 pm

Don't see the point of this - just splintering the location of knowledge and help :?
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

optimus

Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:12 am

SN wrote:Don't see the point of this - just splintering the location of knowledge and help :?
Not really... I'm not sure how familiar you are with SE but the gist of it is to provide answers that are backed up by evidence (i.e. links). In practice this tends to have answers which point to comment from the foundation here on the foundation-sanctioned forum. So it ends up being much like an index/FAQ pointing to relevant 'truths' detailed here as well as 'have you considered it this way' addenda to further knowledge.

The RaspPi.SE site is not a sponsored organ of the foundation and no one there is treating it as such. One day there may be value in the foundation bringing it in to the fold (ala http://askubuntu.com) but in the meantime it's got the chance to be a nifty supporting resource to spread the word of RaspPi and drive traffic to the foundation.

SE is for answers, not community engagement - that's much better suited to this forum.

Return to “User groups and events”