arwyn-bach

something everyone wants...

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:33 pm

will someone send me a link of ubuntu 9.10 arm(v6) image? if someone will ill bring 9.10 to the raspberry pi.

and then work up to 10.04 port.. will need help with 10.04 if I get the 9.10 done :P... ill let you guys know XD

I can do this btw :P

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: something everyone wants...

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:45 pm

You may be able to do it, but is it worth doing it? What do you get over and above what Raspbian already gives you? Given that something like Unity won't work with any acceptable speed ( I think), and that Canonical no longer support any codebase with Armv6, so you would have to do all that yourself (ie. all the packages)

The reason Canonical dropped support is that it requires a lot of effort to maintain all the infrastructure need - all the servers etc, plus all the testing and maintenance.

Personally, I think Raspbian does everything required on the Raspi. Ubuntu wouldn't not give any benefits over and above what you already have.

All that said, if you want to do it, go for it, it will be an interesting learning experience and well worthwhile documenting the process.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

arwyn-bach

Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:49 pm

yeah I will do it, if one person does it many will follow ;) but yeah I will do it :P so if anyone could fine me a link for the image ill be gladXD

jamesh

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:18 pm

If you are talking about an ISO image, I'm pretty sure any arbitrary ISO image of Ubuntu will not port to the Raspi.

You need to find the kernel sources for that version, then combine those with the Raspi specific files from the Raspbian wheezy archive. Then rebuild the kernel. Not sure what you would do about the rootfs etc, I'm no kernel/distro expert.

But at the end of it you'll still just have an old Linux kernel.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

johnnyvibrant

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:20 pm

i concur...why would anyone want this? Kernels below 2.6 really are not that great for arm hardware and if you want ubuntu without unity then just use xfce

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:13 pm

The .iso is the final output of the porting process. If you had the knowledge to port ubuntu then no offence you would already know that the .iso would be useless to you.

Return to “Other”