geev03

Re: Windows 10 ARM64 (Dekstop, not IOT)

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:14 pm

It is fun to remote access Raspberry Pi and use the WsL ( on a 64 GB Class A1 sd card).
This videohttps://youtu.be/wrIK5lobZa8 , best watched on a VR headset, shows the ease of 'Lighty Server' on Debian 9 /WsL

DavidS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 2:41 pm

With all this interest in an ARM version of a Windows API full blown desktop OS raises the question:
Why do you not just work on the ReactOS source, and its port to the ARM and RPi?

http://www.reactos.org/

ReactOS is an opensource OS that runs PE executables and implements a large part of the Win32 API to the point of runnng many modern Win32 applications on the x86 target. It would require running ARM versions or using an x86 emulation layer to run Win32 applications on the ARM based RPi, though if you are so keen to see a Wn32 API OS just work toward a working version of the opensource one.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

bensimmo

Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:06 pm

Can it run modern programs/apps yet or is it stuck 6 to 10 years ago, or before that. preVISTA, Pre7? I can't see Windows8 mentioned on github readme.
It's a great idea though. But doesn't really do what the intent is here.

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm

Windows is a breath of fresh air compared to Linux. Hint: OneDrive!

Why is it I can so easily install ethernet drivers on Windows 10 - even though it doesn't need them most of the time because it has built-in compatible drivers for 99% of them - yet installing ethernet drivers for the B+ seems to involve recompiling the kernel without any guides or anything.

Why is it I can't extend a partition whilst logged in on a live Linux system - yet with Windows I can easily extend a partition at any time.

Why is it with Windows we have Bitlocker, but Linux doesn't seem to come with anything for full disk encryption - yet it's hailed as being the most secure.

[moderated, as this is trolling behaviour for which you will receive a 1 day ban]

thagrol

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:21 pm

While I don't want to turn this thread into a linux vs windows flame war (thats not what it about) I'm going to respond anyway.
gilius wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 5:09 pm
Windows is a breath of fresh air compared to Linux. Hint: OneDrive!
Sure, if you're happy having your data subject to the whims of a third party whose aims probably aren't the same as yours. I'm sure there are equivalent services that aren't run by microsoft. Not that I use em, I'd rather keep my data under my control.
Why is it I can so easily install ethernet drivers on Windows 10 - even though it doesn't need them most of the time because it has built-in compatible drivers for 99% of them - yet installing ethernet drivers for the B+ seems to involve recompiling the kernel without any guides or anything.
Almost certainly because the hardware manufacturers have invested time and money in producing drivers for windows and making them available to microsoft for distribution via the windows updae servers. Hell, that's probably required to get the windows logo on the box. You're blaming the wrong thing/people. Commercial producers will only spend money wheer they can see a return. Sadly that seems to not be o open source software/OS.
Why is it I can't extend a partition whilst logged in on a live Linux system - yet with Windows I can easily extend a partition at any time.
Can't comment I've never tried to do this on windows. Doesn't strike me as something safe to do anyway. It probably is possible on linux otherwise how does raspbian extend the root partition on first boot?
Why is it with Windows we have Bitlocker, but Linux doesn't seem to come with anything for full disk encryption - yet it's hailed as being the most secure.
Which is the most secure depends on your definition of secure. Full disk encryption could be a false security. Sure it'll prevent someone plugging the disk into a different PC and reading its contents but in order for the OS to use the contents it has to decrypt it. Which means if the OS is insecure your data is still at risk: if a flaw can be exploited to gain access to a running system whether the disk is encrypted is a moot point.
This space unintentionally left blank.

gilius

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:34 pm

thagrol, Bitlocker is needed more for your first scenario, i.e. to stop somebody from plugging it into a different PC and reading the contents. That's what Linux seems to inconveniently lack.

I use OneDrive for storing TBs worth of documentary videos. I don't care if anyone has access to them - I just don't want to lose them in a hard drive crash. 5TB only costs £80 per year - but DropBox deals cannot come close to matching that. That's the main reason to use Windows IMO if not for easy drivers and all apps being available precompiled in their latest versions!

Also, the backup tools seem quite poor on Linux without any VSS writers, etc. I tried to use DD and Disks to backup 2 partitions to an IMG file, but it backs up all the empty space. With Windows we have Macrium Reflect, which backs up by file - but doesn't require reworking the bootloader after restoring.

PeterO

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:41 pm

It sounds like these are all 3rd party solutions that you are depending on. So blaming Linux when they don't come with Windows either is rather disingenuous.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

DavidS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 7:49 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 4:06 pm
Can it run modern programs/apps yet or is it stuck 6 to 10 years ago, or before that. preVISTA, Pre7? I can't see Windows8 mentioned on github readme.
It's a great idea though. But doesn't really do what the intent is here.
Yes it can run modern Win32 applications. It is only missing the ability to run these useless metro style extra slow pseudo apps, and no one uses those.

It will run the current 32-bit versions any application people actually use. That includes Cura, FireFox, Chrome, OpenSCAD, Slic3r, Blender 3D, PovRAY, etc, etc, etc.

So yes it will run modern applications.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

echmain

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:06 pm

Can’t imagine why anyone would want to do this.

Half the fun of Linux/Raspberry Pis is to escape the Windows oligarchy.

(And I just bought a new Windows/Intel core i7 machine, so I’m not anti-windows)

Imperf3kt

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:30 pm

echmain wrote:

(And I just bought a new Windows/Intel core i7 machine, so I’m not anti-windows)
It's rather simple to see why someone would want to do this:
Either they're inexperienced with Linux and find tinkering with Linux tedious or they want to use their favourite Windows program / app / game etc on a computer that costs $35
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

DavidS

Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:45 pm

echmain wrote:

Now that I agree with. Windows has always been relatively little use compared to other systems. Yet it seems often that people want a full desktop Windows version on the RPi.

I will always point out that ReactOS is quite usable, it just has not got a working ARM native build yet, though the work is being done. So it makes more sense to help the ReactOS project get a working ARM native version with support for running on the RPi than to waste time attempting to get Win 10 to that point. ReactOS is a fully open source OS, that will run 99% of all windows applications for the CPU on which it runs.

Though there are not many ARM Windows applications. So I am not sure why people want to run an ARM based windows system. Using a builtin emulation layer to run x86 applications on an ARM based Windows or ReactOS will just make everything slower, as emulation is a high cost task. The only things that would run well are those things that are ARM native, very few Windows applications are.

Though I do not so much like the major things that MS will sometimes break with updates. For example with Windows 10 build 1809 on two identical Laptop PC's lost all driver support for the sound, ACPI, accelerated video, WiFi, and Ethernet. With the first one I had missed this, and the lack of ACPI support caused it to overheat until it split the battery, destroying the computer. With the second one I caught it in time and managed to roll back to build 1803 before any damage was done.

thagrol

Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:06 pm

gilius wrote:
thagrol, Bitlocker is needed more for your first scenario, i.e. to stop somebody from plugging it into a different PC and reading the contents. That's what Linux seems to inconveniently lack.
That's one particular use case, and you've missed my point. Bit locker doesn't make the system as a whole more secure.
I use OneDrive for storing TBs worth of documentary videos. I don't care if anyone has access to them - I just don't want to lose them in a hard drive crash. 5TB only costs £80 per year - but DropBox deals cannot come close to matching that. That's the main reason to use Windows IMO if not for easy drivers and all apps being available precompiled in their latest versions!
Hopefully you own or have a license for all those videos. :) But again, you're missing my point. It's not that they may be publically accessible, it's that you have no control over the servers that hold your data. You don't know if and how often backups are done from the server (hint: they're probably not, that's your job). They may go down without warning. Serverside updates and changes may break things (it happens, ask google). Terms & Conditions may change with little or no notice (hint: flickr did this recently). They might throttle your bandwidth. Your ISP might block the service...

Edit: and if they lose your data don't expect anthing more than "Oops. Sorry. You did have it backed up didn't you?" End Edit.

Oh, and while £80 a year might not seem very much to you, for some of us that's a choice between OneDrive and eating for 10 days.
Also, the backup tools seem quite poor on Linux without any VSS writers, etc. I tried to use DD and Disks to backup 2 partitions to an IMG file, but it backs up all the empty space. With Windows we have Macrium Reflect, which backs up by file - but doesn't require reworking the bootloader after restoring.
Really? I've always found the builtin backup tools on windows to be poor, where they exist. Linux and Unix have had dd and others for far longer than windows has had anything. And as for file based backup tools, did you try rsync?

If you're going to compare windows and linux, you need to compare like for like. Not free/bundled tools with pay for use third party ones.

Imperf3kt

Mon Mar 04, 2019 7:17 am

thagrol wrote:
I've always found the builtin backup tools on windows to be poor, where they exist.
CTRL C, CTRL V should be all you need, that or use the command line to clone a directory.

Just... Don't copy a lot of files at once (size is of no concern, it's total file count that matters) as Windows tends to lock up when you do that. Still does in Windows 10... I wonder why it has never been fixed.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 am

gilius wrote:

Can I suggest that if you are going to try and start a flame war, you actually learn what you are flaming against? Linux has all the things you mention, you've just not found them. Backup tools, cloud storage, ethernet simply works (for the majority of cases).

In short, make sure you know what you are talking about before talking about it. Just because YOU don't know how to do something, doesn't mean it's not possible.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

thagrol

Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:20 am

jamesh wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:44 am
Can I suggest that if you are going to try and start a flame war, you actually learn what you are flaming against? Linux has all the things you mention, you've just not found them. Backup tools, cloud storage, ethernet simply works (for the majority of cases).

In short, make sure you know what you are talking about before talking about it. Just because YOU don't know how to do something, doesn't mean it's not possible.
Well said sir, well said.

(Backs away from thread before things escalate and the ban hammer comes out)

code_exec

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:17 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
thagrol wrote:
I've always found the builtin backup tools on windows to be poor, where they exist.
CTRL C, CTRL V should be all you need, that or use the command line to clone a directory.

Just... Don't copy a lot of files at once (size is of no concern, it's total file count that matters) as Windows tends to lock up when you do that. Still does in Windows 10... I wonder why it has never been fixed.
It's more of how powerful the PC you're copying the files on rather than a bug in Windows itself.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

code_exec

Mon Mar 04, 2019 5:23 pm

The Raspberry Pi 3 costs £35. A 20" TV costs £89.99. A keyboard costs £4.99 and a mouse also costs £4.99. The official power supply for the Raspberry Pi 3 costs £8. This adds up to £142.97. You can get a laptop preinstalled with Windows 10 that is more powerful than the Raspberry Pi 3 for just a little more than that. Windows 10 on the Pi 3 at the moment just isn't ready for daily use because of the lack of drivers for hardware graphics acceleration, WiFi, and Bluetooth, not to mention the Pi's specs just aren't powerful enough.
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS desktop images for the Raspberry Pi 3.

https://github.com/CodeExecution/Ubuntu-ARM64-RPi

hippy

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:39 pm

DavidS wrote:
I will always point out that ReactOS is quite usable, it just has not got a working ARM native build yet, though the work is being done. So it makes more sense to help the ReactOS project get a working ARM native version with support for running on the RPi than to waste time attempting to get Win 10 to that point. ReactOS is a fully open source OS, that will run 99% of all windows applications for the CPU on which it runs.
I would expect those striving to get Windows 10 Desktop to work on ARM or a Pi are doing that, rather than helping get ReactOS ported, because they believe that's what most people are wanting, where the kudos and critical acclaim lies. I imagine their response might be; why are people working on React OS when Windows is what people want ?

That's just the way it is.
code_exec wrote:
The Raspberry Pi 3 costs £35. A 20" TV costs £89.99. A keyboard costs £4.99 and a mouse also costs £4.99. The official power supply for the Raspberry Pi 3 costs £8. This adds up to £142.97.
My actual costs -

Pi 3B from CeX : £30
Wilkinson 8GB SD Card : £6
5A PSU from Asda : £6
USB keyboard from car boot sale : £1
Poundland USB Mouse : £1
19" DVI Dell monitor from charity shop : £2
HDMI to DVI adapter : £1
Poundland HDMI Cable : £1

Total : £48

Acer XC-603, 4GB, 250GB, Wi-Fi, plus same bits-n-bobs, Windows 10 pre-installed, car boot dealer : £56

fruitoftheloom

Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 pm

hippy wrote:
DavidS wrote:
I would expect those striving to get Windows 10 Desktop to work on ARM or a Pi are doing that, rather than helping get ReactOS ported, because they believe that's what most people are wanting, where the kudos and critical acclaim lies. I imagine their response might be; why are people working on React OS when Windows is what people want ?

code_exec wrote:
The Raspberry Pi 3 costs £35. A 20" TV costs £89.99. A keyboard costs £4.99 and a mouse also costs £4.99. The official power supply for the Raspberry Pi 3 costs £8. This adds up to £142.97.
My actual costs -

Acer XC-603, 4GB, 250GB, Wi-Fi, plus same bits-n-bobs, Windows 10 pre-installed, car boot dealer : £56

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HP-PRO-3500- ... 3080158468

£42.50 including P&P, just need a W10 Key £1.30
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

DavidS

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
thagrol wrote:

I have never had a problem with any version of Windows in copying large numbers of files with xcopy (originally a DOS command, also available as a win32 command line command for 32 and 64 bit windows NT based systems [like Windows 2000, XP, 7, 10, etc]). I just copied an entire drive to upgrade the available storage space, with a little over 63000 files, which is near the limit of what anyone should put on a single drive in a Windows system (there are still known issues with handling more than 65535 files on a single partition even with Windows 10, not just with copying).

DavidS

Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:32 pm

hippy wrote:
DavidS wrote:

Or is it that people are not aware of what ReactOS is? You may be correct, though Windows is a closed source commercial product, while ReactOS is an open source product that may one make Windows obsolete.

Look at how many people prefer Linux over Windows nowadays, even many that were traditionally Windows only in the past. Open source is something that catches peoples eye, and an open source NT compatible OS with a Win32 compatible subsystem (albeit without the MS-OS/2 PM stuff, that even MS dropped after Windows 5.x [XP, 2003, etc]).
code_exec wrote:
My actual costs -

Or:
Raspberry Pi 3B+ = $35 USD
Logitech K120 Keyboard = $15 USD
Logitech M100 Mouse = $12 USD
7 Inch Pi compatible (3rd party) GPIO powered 1024x600 display = $25 USD
5Amp 5V Power supply with USB connector, switch, and USB to MicroUSB cable = $8 USD

Tax in most places around 10% = $9.50 USD
TTL = $104.50 USD.

And the RPi 3B+ running GNU/Linux outperforms similarly priced Windows 10 PC's when it comes to CAD/CAM applications.

gilius

Tue Mar 05, 2019 6:26 pm

DavidS, I challenge you to find a cheap Windows 10 laptop that can be sustained on 5V/2A or 10 watts.

Paeryn

Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:13 pm

DavidS wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:21 pm
I just copied an entire drive to upgrade the available storage space, with a little over 63000 files, which is near the limit of what anyone should put on a single drive in a Windows system (there are still known issues with handling more than 65535 files on a single partition even with Windows 10, not just with copying).
What are these "known issues"? I've just counted up my \Program Files (x86) directory and it alone contains 453,376 files throughout the several thousand sub-directories, never had any noticeable file problems. If I added all the other directories on this disk partition it will easily be over 500,000.

Looking on the web I see a mention about a limit of 65,535 files when generating unique temporary filenames but that is per directory and only if they all have the same prefix.
Only the lower 16 bits of the uUnique parameter are used. This limits GetTempFileName to a maximum of 65,535 unique file names if the lpPathName and lpPrefixString parameters remain the same.
She who travels light — forgot something.

Geeviz

Tue Jun 25, 2019 12:53 pm

I've got it more the less working without any problems, with a cool displaylink touchscreen 7 inch.

Only I have one question:

restart button works fine

shutdown button works fine but:

how can i auto power down the raspberry pi.. just as like a normal computer where the plug is still in..

Now the screen is off, windows has aproper shutdown but the fan on the pi is still on and it's difficult to pull out the plug afraid to corrupt the Sd card

I did this registry trick:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon
PowerdownAfterShutdown [REG SZ] value 1
I am in the house :lol:

DavidS

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:47 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:43 pm
hippy wrote:
DavidS wrote:
Having spoke with many Windows users since last looking at this thread (trying to learn), I would disagree with you.

It seems that most of them believe that Windows is the only option, because it came with there computer. Many of them when given the opportunity to run a light weight Linux with a decent light weight Desktop Environment and open source equivalents of there Win applications feel that Windows is way to slow afterwords, and that they no longer want to see windows.

Which is true, Windows 10 barely runs on a 1GB RAM system, and even at that takes unreasonable amounts of processor time when it should be idle. Then there is the way that the API is layered that slows down everything (most applications are calling through a DLL that calls up a chain of 4 or more DLL's, each doing some processing with the data of the call, that is a lot of extra delay for a simple system call, and that is all above the driver/core level). So why would anyone want to use Windows (other than they do not know of a better way)?

ReactOS is a lot better than Windows in the areas mentioned, and often a lot more compatible with Windows applications than Windows 10 is.

I even run ReactOS inside DOSBox on RISC OS on my Raspberry Pi, and it is quite responsive even at those low emulated CPU speeds.

Return to “Other”