DavidS

Anyone Know Status on RPi Native AROS?

Tue Nov 27, 2018 4:59 pm

I can not even find a build anymore, nor is there much information in the trackers for AROS.

A while ago there were a few threads here about a version of AROS that runs native on Raspberry Pi hardware, it only needed USB support to become usable last I heard. It has been years now, has there been any update on the Raspberry native port of AROS that anyone knows of?

I am aware of the Linux Hosted version, I am looking for the native version status.

This shows a loyalty of many to a great OS. Since the current holders of the Intellectual Property are keeping Amiga OS closed source the Amiga community created a replacement that is still being developed and maintained. I can only think of one other example of this, as most of the old systems that are still being updated are the result of the source being released under some open source license or another (DR GEM released by Caldera, CP/M open sourced, RISC OS was shared source now open, etc).

There is definitely something about Amiga OS, actually a lot of somethings.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

chocolate

Re: Anyone Know Status on RPi Native AROS?

Fri Nov 30, 2018 7:59 am

You might want to check one of the Amiga forums or AROS-exec. I heard there is a dev that is working on it and has a patreon page.
New RISC OS user.

n67

Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 am

Just out of curiosity, how would you do anything with an OS running on a Pi w/o USB support?

No mouse, no keyboard, no ethernet.

I suppose serial - but that would be text only.

Maybe wireless, though a serious chicken-and-egg problem getting it setup.
"L'enfer, c'est les autres"

G fytc hsqr rum umpbq rm qyw rm rfc kmbq md rfgq dmpsk:

Epmu Sn!

J lnacjrw njbruh-carppnanm vxm rb mnuncrwp vh yxbcb!

DavidS

Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:47 pm

n67 wrote:
Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:47 am
Just out of curiosity, how would you do anything with an OS running on a Pi w/o USB support?

No mouse, no keyboard, no ethernet.

I suppose serial - but that would be text only.

Maybe wireless, though a serious chicken-and-egg problem getting it setup.
That is the point of my question. At that time it still needed USB support, and I would like to know if it is yet usable for day to day (having USB support on the RPi)?

On most targets it does have USB support, and now we all know enough about the DWC USB controllers that I would hope whatever RPi users are working on that port of AROS would have implemented that support by now. Though I can not find any information on that (here or on any of the AROS or Amiga sites).
100% Off Grid.

DavidS

Tue Dec 11, 2018 4:14 pm

terminills wrote:
Tue Dec 11, 2018 12:36 pm
Update on usb support.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/digging-through-23261667
Nice, that is great to see. It looks as if it may not be long before we finally have AROS on RPi. As this is the only OS that I would use in preference to RISC OS on an ARM based system I am very much looking forward to what comes next. I always liked Amiga OS, though I also like the ARM CPU, so I have an old Amiga 1200 that I use often for fun, and my main computer is a Raspberry Pi running RISC OS (the best OS so far for ARM based computers, until AROS is done). And I do not to much care for Linux so not to much into the whole hosted version of AROS (which does not even go full screen anymore), though I do use it some.

I have bookmarked that page to keep an eye on the progress. Thank you for that.
100% Off Grid.

DavidS

Tue Feb 26, 2019 3:19 am

Closer and closer. I am very much looking forward to a really usable AROS on RPi native boot (non hosted).

Have been reworking my current projects to target Amiga/AROS before I actually put them on GitHub. Including the beginnings of an extended AmigaBASIC compatible compiler (just better than the original), with extensions based on those of ACE.
100% Off Grid.

Methanoid

Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm

Would be great, but its been "coming soon" for a long time now... I wonder if it will ever get over that line :?

DavidS

Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:15 am

Methanoid wrote:
Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm
Would be great, but its been "coming soon" for a long time now... I wonder if it will ever get over that line :?
Look at his blog. It looks like it realy is coming soon. Already have working USB (largely), to a usable state anyway, Already running correctly in Big Endian mode, already implementing an extraordinary 68K JIT core to run some 68K Amiga programs. I would say it truely is to soon be seen.
100% Off Grid.

Return to “Other”