Spiderdim

Boot with a usb win xp?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:32 pm

Hi, i want to make a download pc to watch movies at my tv, can Raspberry Pi boots by usb stick with win xp??? Or use a hdd...

Tell me your opinion, thanks in advance

aaa801

Re: Boot with a usb win xp?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:38 pm

No you cant run windows xp on your pi,

redhawk

Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:51 pm

XP doesn't support ARMv6 only Intel 80x86 code so no it's not possible to boot XP on the PI (it doesn't support USB boot anyway).
It is possible to run XP on the PI with the help of emulation software called Qemu however it's so painfully slow that most people would probably give up. :lol:

Richard S.

Spiderdim

Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:55 am

thanks for the answer guys!

so only linux!

bredman

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:21 pm

If you are mostly interested in watching movies, you should check out some of the XBMC (X-box media centre) builds for the Raspberry Pi.

XBMC supports playback of various file formats and also has plugins for popular services like Youtube and various TV catchup channels.

There was an introduction to XBMC in the free MagPi magazine, in either the August or September issue.
www.themagpi.com

itimpi

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:00 pm

Spiderdim wrote:thanks for the answer guys!

so only linux!
That is the simple answer! You will find a wide range of Linux variants available for the Pi.

The more complicated answer is that you need an OS that can run on the ARM processor and has been ported to the Pi. The main non-linux one that springs to mind is RiscOS although there has been talk of others becoming available.

There are others in early porting mode such as Android and Free BSD that are similar but are not strictly speaking Linux. I think Andoid will be of particular interest to a lot of people - particularly with the release of the Pi Model B with 512MB which should mean it can be made to run with adequate performance.

Return to “Other”