bashrules

NetBSD

Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:34 pm

Squiffy

Re: NetBSD

Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:26 pm

Yes. I saw this. I'm getting the latest source tree and check it out. The kernel config looks good so far.

Squiffy

Fri Jul 27, 2012 2:51 am

Well I compiled the kernel and it does boot with serial output. I'm currently compiling userland to see if I can get it fully working. Wish me luck :D

bashrules

Sun Jul 29, 2012 2:15 am

Squiffy wrote:Well I compiled the kernel and it does boot with serial output.
Ehmm, the Pi has no serial line.
I'm currently compiling userland to see if I can get it fully working. Wish me luck :D
How is it going? Very curious.

I like about *BSD that you can specify your compilation flags in /etc/make.conf. So, having hardfloat support should be trivial.

Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:46 am

bashrules wrote:Ehmm, the Pi has no serial line.
Actually it does

Joe Schmoe

Thu Aug 02, 2012 11:38 am

6677 wrote:
bashrules wrote:Ehmm, the Pi has no serial line.
Actually it does
Well, you are both right...

In fact, the Pi has the potential of having a serial port, but it is not (in the default setup) accessible to the user. And you need additional (active) hardware in order to make it accessible.

As a matter of word definition, I would say that if you one needs to add additional hardware (beyond, say, just a wire and/or a jack - and some soldering) in order for a feature to be actualized, then it really is fair to say that the feature does not exist (before the additional hardware is installed).
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

tufty

Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:15 pm

Cobblers. Using your argument, the pi has the /potential/ to boot. After all, you need to buy an sd card to use that feature.

The pi has 2 serial ports, both of which run at 3v3 logic levels. Can't remember if you can get them both up at the same time, though. The default setup (i.e. when you turn it on) is that uart0 is accessible through a couple of pins on the gpio.

It also has the potential to use external usb-serial connectors, or spi based uart extenders, etc.

Nitpicky, I know. Can't stop myself...

Good to see a bsd up and running, though.

Simon.

Squiffy

Mon Aug 06, 2012 8:21 pm

Debugging the kernel using the GPIO serial, I see that the problem is that it can't mount the root fs. I haven't worked on it in a few weeks. I hope other people have better luck.

I'll probably go back to it soon enough. Its probably some partition error on my SD card. No framebuffer support from what I've seen. I can deal with a UART Serial based userland for now.

bashrules

Fri Sep 07, 2012 5:14 pm

NetBSD 6.0 RC1 notes:

Add[ed] initial support for the RaspberryPI, sufficient to boot multiuser and access the gpio header pins via .

Return to “Other”