jack.chaney

Linux from Scratch

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:12 pm

I have done a large number of LFS installations (going back to v2 of LFS), and always enjoy what gets implemented. Mostly because there is no baggage that is unnecessary which makes the system run blazeingly faster than almost all the "standard" distributions.
The exercise of making an LFS build is well worth the effort for anyone in the intermediate to advanced stages, and I highly recommend taking the leap.
I am about to, once again, wrestle the beast and make an LFS build for my new RPi2, using a USB to SDCard adapter that I have. The element that I find difficult while building my system comes at the kernel build stage, where all the configuration choices require a strong understanding of all the hardware that is attached.
What I am hoping for, is, since the RPi is a stable system, and all the hardware nuances are already known, is there a published listing of the configuration file available for Pi A, Pi A+, Pi B, Pi B+, and Pi 2 (perhaps what is used with Raspbain builds). That would probably prove to be a significant resource for future learning.

fruitoftheloom

Re: Linux from Scratch

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:32 pm

jack.chaney wrote:I have done a large number of LFS installations (going back to v2 of LFS), and always enjoy what gets implemented. Mostly because there is no baggage that is unnecessary which makes the system run blazeingly faster than almost all the "standard" distributions.
The exercise of making an LFS build is well worth the effort for anyone in the intermediate to advanced stages, and I highly recommend taking the leap.
I am about to, once again, wrestle the beast and make an LFS build for my new RPi2, using a USB to SDCard adapter that I have. The element that I find difficult while building my system comes at the kernel build stage, where all the configuration choices require a strong understanding of all the hardware that is attached.
What I am hoping for, is, since the RPi is a stable system, and all the hardware nuances are already known, is there a published listing of the configuration file available for Pi A, Pi A+, Pi B, Pi B+, and Pi 2 (perhaps what is used with Raspbain builds). That would probably prove to be a significant resource for future learning.
http://www.intestinate.com/pilfs/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

RaTTuS

Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:33 pm

boot any RPi and get the config from the installed kernel
cp /proc/config.gz .
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

DougieLawson

Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:34 pm

RaTTuS wrote:boot any RPi and get the config from the installed kernel
modprobe configs # /proc/config.gz is built as a module now
cp /proc/config.gz .
FTFY.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a hippy & doctor free zone.

rpdom

Fri Jul 24, 2015 6:21 am

DougieLawson wrote:
RaTTuS wrote:boot any RPi and get the config from the installed kernel
modprobe configs # /proc/config.gz is built as a module now # but only in the latest 4.x kernels
zcat /proc/config.gz >config
FTFY.
Likewise :)

RaTTuS

Fri Jul 24, 2015 8:01 am

TY ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

bust

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:48 pm

Hi
Even if this choice (LINUX FROM SCRATCH) is very well, The major problem is when you decide to use
this option ,you could be unaligned with repositories of the default distribution
when you will upgrade his packages in in the futur.
Excepted this inconvenient he must be recognized at just value the great thanks and congratulation for
this team's BLFS / PiLFS or (LINUX FROM SCRATCH in general)
that offer an work very serious of great quality.
Even if the major change of this new kernel 4.xx is able to patched at
hot without reboot, he seem also working an little more reactive that
the precedent version.
Regards

Return to “Other”