arquebus
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:44 am

has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:49 am

Both Plan 9 and Inferno are old OS's that run on very small hardware, they should absolutely smoke on the RasPi. So has anyone ported either to the RasPi? Ive heard it is difficult to get them to run on x86 due to lack of drivers but that shouldnt be a problem for the RasPi.

itimpi
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Contact: Website

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:56 am

arquebus wrote:Both Plan 9 and Inferno are old OS's that run on very small hardware, they should absolutely smoke on the RasPi. So has anyone ported either to the RasPi? Ive heard it is difficult to get them to run on x86 due to lack of drivers but that shouldnt be a problem for the RasPi.
Why do you think drivers would not be a problem on the Pi?

Most older OS's pre-date USB, and SD cards so just getting those up and running would be a none-trivial issue. Upgrading drivers was one of the major tasks required for the RiscOS port to the Pi.

Having said that it would be great if someone COULD get such older OS running.

Narishma
Posts: 151
Joined: Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:02 pm

I think what he meant is that since every Raspberry Pi has the same hardware, you'd only have one set of drivers to worry about.

aaa801
Posts: 428
Joined: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:06 pm
Location: Berkshire

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 1:09 am

Mhm im looking into plan 9

adrianmcmenamin
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:39 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:47 pm

aaa801 wrote:Mhm im looking into plan 9
Let me know if you get anywhere - would be interested in whether we could get Plan 9 (fundamentally a distributed operating system( to run with multiple processors

9pi
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:49 pm

Yes, I have Plan 9 running on raspberry pi, including drivers for the reasonably documented hardware devices - timers, uart, video framebuffer (unaccelerated). Currently struggling with SD card driver - it is able to initialise and select the card, but can't manage to read/write blocks yet. USB looks like the biggest challenge.

Bakul Shah
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 am

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Fri Aug 17, 2012 6:08 pm

Tomorrow at the Raspberry Jam @ the Computer History Museum in Mountain VIew, California I hope to show off 9pi -- Richard Miller's plan9 port to the RaspberryPi. This is a work in progress -- no USB driver as yet but it boots up in seconds, uses its own fossil filesystem, can use the display and so on. Much work remains but if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can come get a taste of plan9 @ the CHM! See the user groups and events forum for details. Don't worry if you miss this one; I will bring this to the next month's meet as well, hopefully with a working USB driver.

smrz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:42 pm

Does anyone have a link for this port? I can't find anything but this post on the web... Would love to get plan 9 on my pi.
Bakul Shah wrote:Tomorrow at the Raspberry Jam @ the Computer History Museum in Mountain VIew, California I hope to show off 9pi -- Richard Miller's plan9 port to the RaspberryPi. This is a work in progress -- no USB driver as yet but it boots up in seconds, uses its own fossil filesystem, can use the display and so on. Much work remains but if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can come get a taste of plan9 @ the CHM! See the user groups and events forum for details. Don't worry if you miss this one; I will bring this to the next month's meet as well, hopefully with a working USB driver.

Bakul Shah
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 am

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

smrz wrote:Does anyone have a link for this port? I can't find anything but this post on the web... Would love to get plan 9 on my pi.
Bakul Shah wrote:Tomorrow at the Raspberry Jam @ the Computer History Museum in Mountain VIew, California I hope to show off 9pi -- Richard Miller's plan9 port to the RaspberryPi. This is a work in progress -- no USB driver as yet but it boots up in seconds, uses its own fossil filesystem, can use the display and so on. Much work remains but if you are in the San Francisco Bay Area, you can come get a taste of plan9 @ the CHM! See the user groups and events forum for details. Don't worry if you miss this one; I will bring this to the next month's meet as well, hopefully with a working USB driver.
Still a work in progress. If you already know your way around plan9, the current sources can be found in /n/sources/contrib/miller/9. You can cross build from any existing plan9 machine or 9vx. But it is really not ready for new users.

9pi
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Bakul Shah wrote: Still a work in progress.
To be precise, there's no USB support yet, which means no keyboard and mouse, and no ethernet. (Unless you have an existing Plan 9 network, in which case you can import all these from another Plan 9 machine over a ppp connection via the serial port.)

I could put together a "demo" distribution, but I think it would be premature to do this until a USB driver is sorted out. Without a network or GUI, you would be getting a very limited impression of what Plan 9 is about.

smrz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Sep 10, 2012 3:33 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:30 pm

Bummer! I've never worked with Plan 9 before, and though that playing with a few Pi's would be a nice introduction. Any suggestions for tutorials / resources / projects to get started with Plan 9?
9pi wrote:
Bakul Shah wrote: Still a work in progress.
To be precise, there's no USB support yet, which means no keyboard and mouse, and no ethernet. (Unless you have an existing Plan 9 network, in which case you can import all these from another Plan 9 machine over a ppp connection via the serial port.)

I could put together a "demo" distribution, but I think it would be premature to do this until a USB driver is sorted out. Without a network or GUI, you would be getting a very limited impression of what Plan 9 is about.

gwoodward
Posts: 13
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 1:10 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 3:49 pm

Hi,

How could I get involved with the port? I was thinking of attempting a port of Inferno.

Bakul Shah
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 am

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:14 pm

smrz wrote:Bummer! I've never worked with Plan 9 before, and though that playing with a few Pi's would be a nice introduction. Any suggestions for tutorials / resources / projects to get started with Plan 9?
Start here: http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/plan9/plan_9_wiki/
A great resource is this book: Introduction to Operating Systems Abstractions Using Plan 9 from Bell Labs by Ballesteros.
More resources: http://doc.cat-v.org/plan_9/

To get a working installation, download plan9.iso.bz2 from http://www.plan9.bell-labs.com/wiki/pla ... index.html and install in a virtual machine. I've used Qemu and VirtualBox to good effect.

Bakul Shah
Posts: 321
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:25 am

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Wed Sep 19, 2012 8:19 pm

gwoodward wrote:Hi,

How could I get involved with the port? I was thinking of attempting a port of Inferno.
See this thread: https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgr ... T_YFup68YU

9pi
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: has anyone ported Plan 9 or Inferno to RasPi?

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:17 pm

Just to finish up this thread - Plan 9 for Raspberry Pi is now available, and has its own section under Operating System Distributions in the forum.

As for Inferno, it already runs "hosted" on top of linux on the Pi. Since the architecture-dependent base of native Inferno (drivers, memory management, interrupts) is largely shared with Plan 9, a native version will probably appear before too long.

Return to “Other”