tohipfortheroom

60% done with a chromium os build for the raspberry pi 2

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:11 pm

I have a somewhat bootable version of the chromium os aka chrome os for the raspberry pi, without hardware acceleration I'm not sure if this will be useable for the end user, once i finish my last couple of tests with different build combinations, which take about 4 hours to compile on my current hardware, should i release what i have built so far or would that just get people's hopes up and crush them since the build is slightly slower then your common build, and i will post a youtube video of the boot sequence later on tonight, i hope to use caffeine and energy drinks so i can really put some time into this project, just wanted to give you guys a heads up about what progress I've made since my last post and i really respect you raspberry pi members view point so any feedback would be good feedback, I'm just not sure where i should take the project from here, do i go public with a half working build or do i keep working on it. on the technical side if you have any suggestions on the software side of things i would love to hear any ideas on getting hardware acceleration working in any way, thanks for taking the time to read this post and let me know what your thinking?

Heater

Re: 60% done with a chromium os build for the raspberry pi 2

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:35 pm

Sounds very cool. Certainly I'd like to take it for a spin even if it's only 60% baked. Not that I'd ever be able to contribute any help to the project, apart from pointing out things that don't work of course :)

My feeling is that if you are going to continue to work on this then you should just put your labours up on a public github repo. With a big "Under development" warning.

You never know who might roll their sleeves up to help if they see something good going on.

What's to lose?

kusti8

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:40 pm

+1

I like to try new things, no matter if it's working. I say go for it.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

tohipfortheroom

Mon Jun 29, 2015 11:53 pm

will this is my first build of a operating system I've done without a guide or any community support, i just don't want to be that noob that puts something out that isn't really useable for the enduser and have people say I've accomplished nothing, cause I've put so much time into this build i would hate to be discouraged, to the point where i myself would see it as a lost cause, so part of me whats to show what I've built so far and another part of me whats to wait until its in a more useable state of development but I'm sure if i put it up on github with under development tags posted every where no one can really yell at me for it not preforming the best :D

JustBill

Thu Jul 02, 2015 12:45 pm

I've been (unsuccessfully) trying to get a build of Chromium OS working for the Pi 2. I'd be interested in seeing what you have done.
My current stumbling block is getting the SD card formatted correctly. I've gotten ChromiumOS to build properly. But I think I'm messing up my "boot" partition.

tohipfortheroom

Sat Jul 04, 2015 3:24 am

investing, what did you use for an overlay when you built the chromium os for the pi? i fixed all my bugs with formatting by using my current overlay, id be happy to share, and we could compare, my problem is my main machine for compiling crashed on me, so now i have to rebuild the os, i have a kinda a team of people I've instructed on how to build the os, and they are building it for me using my overlay, but the build times have been horrible and no one has been able to compile, the os, how long did your build take? my overlay may just be buggy and hence thats why its taking so long to build

JustBill

Wed Jul 08, 2015 5:51 pm

I used the "raspberrypi" overlay that came with it. I did modify it to reference "armv7-a" instead of arm6.

I want to say my build time was about an hour and 30 minutes? Maybe a little over counting setup_board, build_packages and build_config. I will keep better track next time I build.

I'm running Ubuntu from a VMWare virtual machine. 4 cores, 4GB RAM. Workstation is an i7 2.4Ghz with 8GB.

Return to “Other”