bastian94

ARM Emulator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi i'am wondering if there are any emulator for Windows 7 avlible that can run the operating system that are created for arm computer

perpe

Re: ARM Emulator

Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:17 pm

You can emulate ARM with QEMU, have a look at this thread http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... =26&t=5743

bastian94

Sun Jul 15, 2012 7:47 am

ok but iam intersted in if there are any software like vmware or virtuell box that can do this

itimpi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:04 am

bastian94 wrote:ok but iam intersted in if there are any software like vmware or virtuell box that can do this
No - those products rely on the fact that the host system is running on an Intel (or compatible) processor. The Pi uses an ARM processor.

perpe

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:01 pm

bastian94 wrote:ok but iam intersted in if there are any software like vmware or virtuell box that can do this
Qemu is such a emulator, that can emulate arm based images, vmware and virtual box can't do it.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:25 pm

In what sense is QEMU not "software like vmware or virtuell [sic] box that can do this" ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

itimpi

Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:36 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:
In what sense is QEMU not "software like vmware or virtuell [sic] box that can do this" ?
VMWare and Virtual box do not emulate the processor - only the rest of the system. As such they can only run X86 based software. Qemu emulates the processor as well so it can emulate an ARM based system regardless of the processor type of the host system.

bastian94

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:26 pm

I am meningen a software with a GUI

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jul 28, 2012 2:50 pm

itimpi wrote:
Joe Schmoe wrote:
VMWare and Virtual box do not emulate the processor - only the rest of the system. As such they can only run X86 based software. Qemu emulates the processor as well so it can emulate an ARM based system regardless of the processor type of the host system.
Yes, I am, of course, well aware of that. Which is to say that QEMU is much more powerful and useful than VMWare/etc (*). So, it was funny that the OP seemed to think that QEMU wasn't what he was looking for (**).

(*) By at least one metric. There are, of course, other metrics one could use, including that used by the OP (see next comment). In any case, as far as we all, here in forumland, know, QEMU is the only option if one is looking for software to emulate the Pi.

(**) Apparently, the most important thing to the OP is having a fancy "management" GUI front-end on the emulator. By this metric, QEMU fails. Alas.

perpe

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:02 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote: (**) Apparently, the most important thing to the OP is having a fancy "management" GUI front-end on the emulator. By this metric, QEMU fails. Alas.
No, QEMU doesn't fail. There are differant GUI frontends for QEMU.
For Windows 7 he can use QEMU Manager 7 for example.
At http://www.davereyn.co.uk/screen.htm are some screenshots available.

A good tutorial for it is available at http://qemu-buch.de/d/QEMU_unter_Microsoft_Windows , but it is in german. I'm sure, if you search you can find some tutorials in english.

Joe Schmoe

Sat Jul 28, 2012 10:09 pm

perpe wrote:it is in german. I'm sure, if you search you can find some tutorials in english.
That looks kind of interesting. I hope the OP is still reading - he may get what he wants afterall.

And, I think his native language is not English - and is probably German - so he may be in fat city here...

PIstolero
Location: paradise city, where the grass is green and the girls are pretty

Sun Jul 29, 2012 1:13 pm

I tried the latest version of Aqemu in OpenSuse and Qemu manager in Windows.
In booth I can' t choose the option -cpu arm1176 (arm1176 seems to be new to qemu) , only -cpu arm926 so booth apps don' t work as GUI when trying to emulate a RPI.
I didn't found a qemu GUI with all the needed options until now (arm1176). But clicking on a .bat or .sh is not really complicated, a GUI is not needed.

acornone

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:09 pm

Here is a emulator that works on Windows and Linux
the emulator is very good and works very well.
All the information you need is contained on this website.

http://www.marutan.net/rpcemuspoon/

Good luck

bomberb17

Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:41 pm

Hello, I have tried using the emulators listed above with a raspberry pi image on Windows 8 with no luck. Can someone post an updated guide?

bomberb17

Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:22 pm

I start qemu and the booting hangs at "booting from hard disk..." message

Return to “Other”