Ubuntu Mate Needs its own forum sub-category in this section

Wed May 20, 2015 10:11 pm

Installing Ubuntu Mate seems to be getting popular with the ability of Raspberry Pi 2 able to run it. It would be great if this distro had its own forum here. While the Ubuntu Mate website has its own forum that can be helpful. Ubuntu Mate on a RaspPi 2B has a lot of its own quirks that need to be resolved that are not really understood by those installing it on a PC, laptop or non-ARM system. It has been trial and error to get it working properly and weeding through the solutions that may work but don't work on the RaspPi 2.

So suggestion, if any moderator is reading. Please may we have our own forum sub-category for Ubuntu Mate?

Thanks for considering!

gkreidl

Re: Ubuntu Mate Needs its own forum sub-category in this sec

Thu May 21, 2015 5:23 am

How many different Ubuntu images do we have now? At least three! A new sub.category for each one? And who is taking responsibility for supporting them?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 21, 2015 5:47 am

1775 wrote:Installing Ubuntu Mate seems to be getting popular with the ability of Raspberry Pi 2 able to run it. It would be great if this distro had its own forum here. While the Ubuntu Mate website has its own forum that can be helpful. Ubuntu Mate on a RaspPi 2B has a lot of its own quirks that need to be resolved that are not really understood by those installing it on a PC, laptop or non-ARM system. It has been trial and error to get it working properly and weeding through the solutions that may work but don't work on the RaspPi 2.

So suggestion, if any moderator is reading. Please may we have our own forum sub-category for Ubuntu Mate?

Thanks for considering!
Really and I suppose every other Linux/Unix variant needs its own sub forum, so that is about 20 more sub forums ;)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Mon May 25, 2015 5:18 am

Ubunto Mate 15.04 is the Ubuntu distribution with a GUI featured on this RaspPi.org website and those trying it are finding it preferable to Raspbian - at least those on the forum dedicated to this distro on its creator's site. BUT the problem is that it creates some problems for those with the RaspPi 2 that can't be answered on the non-RaspPi forum by the majority who respond there. This is the RaspPi forum where those who have experience with this are supposed to be there to help. So - since this is the RaspPi forum - yes this distro needs a sub-category.

And I can't believe the attitude in the responses this topic has received. Always nice to know that those with a common interest have this type of attitude and respect toward each other! Evidently I have touched some nerve.

ghans

Mon May 25, 2015 10:11 am

PM a moderator with your request (you can only PM anybody after one approved post).

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

gkreidl

Mon May 25, 2015 1:21 pm

I don't see, why Ubuntu Mate should be preferred to other Ubuntu distributions here.

Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) Raspberry Pi 2 image: Has 188 posts and about 30000 views.
Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2: 298 posts and about 71000 views,

Both have active supporters here in the forum. I haven't seen anyone from the Ubuntu Mate website here, yet, giving support. And no support thread here (like the other distributions have).

Either we should get a new sub-category for all Ubuntu distributions together or one for each - or none at all.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

kusti8

Mon May 25, 2015 1:34 pm

gkreidl wrote:I don't see, why Ubuntu Mate should be preferred to other Ubuntu distributions here.

Ubuntu 14.04 (trusty) Raspberry Pi 2 image: Has 188 posts and about 30000 views.
Ubuntu / Linaro for Raspberry Pi 2: 298 posts and about 71000 views,

Both have active supporters here in the forum. I haven't seen anyone from the Ubuntu Mate website here, yet, giving support. And no support thread here (like the other distributions have).

Either we should get a new sub-category for all Ubuntu distributions together or one for each - or none at all.
+1

What really is a sub forum? Just a place to keep organized. Why do you need a subforum? Its not like its magically going to change things.

All those distros are Ubuntu, they just differ a little. I'm a supporter of the Linaro image because the image I have saved to my hard disk is pretty minimal and comes with no X. It has all the up to date packages I need for testing and developing. I tried Ubuntu MATE and I felt it was too bloated. The GUI was slow and I didn't really like it. I do most of my work in the terminal anyways.

I've only seen a few people claim support for Ubuntu MATE, mainly because they already have Ubuntu MATE and have sworn some allegiance to them. All of them are really similar, why should Ubuntu MATE get a sub forum (heck, why do you even need a sub forum?) when the others don't?
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

Mequa

Thu May 28, 2015 8:32 am

I'm trying out Ubuntu MATE now on the Raspberry Pi 2, linked from the Raspberry Pi download section.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
https://ubuntu-mate.org/raspberry-pi/

It seems much faster than the Linaro-based images. Although it comes with MATE (forked from Gnome 2), it also has no problem running LXDE and/or XFCE, including with the Ubuntu enhancements from Lubuntu and Xubuntu.

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install lubuntu-desktop lxde

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install xubuntu-desktop xfce4
I recommend at the very least a general section for Ubuntu for Raspberry Pi 2 (this could also cover the Snappy Ubuntu Core developer's images), with Ubuntu MATE the flavour of choice, given its inclusion on the official Raspberry Pi download section.

Return to “Other”