Jeremy Webb

RISC OS Software Development

Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:49 am

Risc OS seems to run very nicely on my B+, wouldn't it be super if BBC Basic and WIMP were included in the programming section of these hallowed forums to appease us traditionalists.

Jeremy Webb

fruitoftheloom

Re: RISC OS Software Development

Sat Jan 10, 2015 8:19 am

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=55

There is a RiscOS section on this Forum
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

Jeremy Webb

Sat Jan 10, 2015 10:41 am

Dear fruitoftheloom,

I looked at that forum, but since the idea, notion and concept of a "computer language" differs significantly and is incommensurate with that of an "operating system," I decided to post this as a "General Discussion" item.

Thanks and Regards,

Jeremy Webb

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:26 am

its about riscos application, so belongs in riscos, moved.

Heater

Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:35 am

There are hundreds of programming languages in the world and no doubt hundreds available for the Pi and in use there.

BBC Basic probably has a minuscule number of users compared to many other well known languages.

A such I'd suggest that there are many other languages that deserve their own section here with a higher priority that BBC Basic.

I'd like to suggest a JavaScript section.

JS is used globally everyday by everyone on the net. It's easy for beginners to get into whilst being sophisticated enough to keep experts happy. With node.js it makes an excellent language for your robots and "internet of things" applications. With nodered you have a fabulous programming environment.

Burngate

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:23 pm

I see two problems with the idea of putting "BBC Basic and WIMP" in the general programming section.

One is that BBC Basic as you are using the term is very much tied into RISC OS - there are other Basics, useable on Linux and other OS's, but they're just pale imitations of the original.
WIMP programming is even more tied into RISC OS - it has almost no meaning in relation to any other OS.

The other is that if there were such a programming subforum, it would immediately get lost in the general Linux noise.
At least in its own OS subforum, we RISC OS users can do our own thing, away from the crowd (hoi-polloi would not perhaps be PC)
There are few enough posts that a thread on WIMP programming wouldn't get lost.

Jeremy Webb

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:24 pm

mahjongg wrote:its about riscos application, so belongs in riscos, moved.
mahjongg

Thank you for your interaction. I am of course not on your team!

Thanks and Best Regards,

Jeremy Webb

Jeremy Webb

Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:22 am

Well, history has proved me correct. I did not, in fact, receive a response to this because it was a “General Discussion” item asking about potential new programming forum categories of discussion.

Have a pleasant day!

Jeremy

fladda

Sun Aug 30, 2015 11:50 am

I have to agree with the moderator(s) here.

This RISC OS forum is the best place to include all matters relating to RISC OS on the Rasbessy Pi, which included BBC BASIC and WIMP topics. If the RISC OS RPi forum ever gets overloaded with hundreds of posts per day, then perhaps we should consider splitting this forum it into multiple RISC OS sub-groups. However, this forum is currently extremely quiet with normally a handful of posts per week. Sometimes there are no posts at all :-(

Ralph

Jeremy Webb

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:37 pm

The Raspberry PI is a type of hardware, is it not? A General Discussion covers all aspects of that hardware, does it not? Then therefore this classification system is illogical, hubristic and hostile to British computer languages, and on that basis, it is therefore for hostile to Britain and all that we hold dear. This is true to the extent that it looks like the PI is a non British tool teaching British children foreign languages in schools. Foreign! I throw my hands up in horror and distaste! These extremely popular programming languages should be sub categories of programming full stop.

The Raspberry PI is either a British educational general purpose system or it is not, and at the moment it is not.

I therefore mark your answers WRONG!

fruitoftheloom

Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:51 pm

Jeremy Webb wrote:The Raspberry PI is a type of hardware, is it not? A General Discussion covers all aspects of that hardware, does it not? Then therefore this classification system is illogical, hubristic and hostile to British computer languages, and on that basis, it is therefore for hostile to Britain and all that we hold dear. This is true to the extent that it looks like the PI is a non British tool teaching British children foreign languages in schools. Foreign! I throw my hands up in horror and distaste! These extremely popular programming languages should be sub categories of programming full stop.

The Raspberry PI is either a British educational general purpose system or it is not, and at the moment it is not.

Raspberry Pi is a SBC

RiscOS is an Operating System

You can create your own forum if this one is not to your liking.

Nice to see you returned today (after 7 months) to add your angst :roll:
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit
https://www.asus.com/uk/Mini-PCs/Chromebit-CS10

kusti8

Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:04 pm

Jeremy Webb wrote:The Raspberry PI is a type of hardware, is it not? A General Discussion covers all aspects of that hardware, does it not? Then therefore this classification system is illogical, hubristic and hostile to British computer languages, and on that basis, it is therefore for hostile to Britain and all that we hold dear. This is true to the extent that it looks like the PI is a non British tool teaching British children foreign languages in schools. Foreign! I throw my hands up in horror and distaste! These extremely popular programming languages should be sub categories of programming full stop.

So what do you suggest? That Britain should cease all foreign trade because its not British? That the Raspberry Pi should only be sold in Britain? We should not use any programming langauges because they were not made it Britain?

Are you calling BBC BASIC and WIMP (the second of which I've never heard of and both of which I've never programed in) popular?

Sigh.
There are 10 types of people: those who understand binary and those who don't.

rpdom

Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:29 pm

kusti8 wrote:Are you calling BBC BASIC and WIMP (the second of which I've never heard of and both of which I've never programed in) popular?
They were once, especially BBC BASIC. I made a living out of programming in that for a few years :)
WIMP is the RISC OS GUI (Windows, Icons, Mice and Pointers). It was fun to program in.

They are still popular in certain circles but I would no longer call them mainstream by any stretch of the imagination.

The Raspberry Pi is a fantastic British product and a global success story. It (mostly) runs Linux, a lot of the code for that is produced by British people.

I don't see anything wrong these posts being in their rightful place of the RISCOS forum.

Jeremy Webb

Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:32 am

What does it take to win for British computing? What does it take to win?

dave j

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:35 am

Jeremy Webb wrote:What does it take to win for British computing? What does it take to win?
It needs people to stop being insular and backward looking.

BBC Basic was great in 1982 on the BBC Micro and had some useful improvements on the Archimedes but times have moved on.

The first thing I did when I got my Archimedes was to get a C compiler for it as soon as possible (the first two versions of Acorn's C compiler I had even pre-dated RISC OS, which shows how long ago that was). There are far more suitable languages than BBC Basic for producing applications these days and even for learning to program, languages like Python are also better.

ejolson

Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:53 am

In most ways a discussion about what topics should go under what sections in the forum is a "General Discussion" item rather than something that belongs in the RISC OS forum. At the same time, this discussion seems to have digressed from the original post which suggested that a topic on BASIC be added under programming. Along the original lines of this thread, I wonder whether it would be more logical to place "Windows 10 for IoT" under operating systems rather than programming.

DavidS

Mon Jan 11, 2016 12:26 am

At present the RISC OS sub forum seems to be a little dead.

Up until about the first 6 or 7 months after the release of the Raspberry Pi the RISC OS section was very active. If that level of activity had continued (as we all expected it to), then it would be worth suggesting a new sub forum for BBC BASIC V (the version in RISC OS). Though I would think that it should be a sub section of the RISC OS section as BBC BASIC V and RISC OS are very much tied together.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

GavinW

Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:03 pm

Perhaps one reason for the lack of activity on the RISC OS section of the Rpi forum is the sensible desire not to feed trolls.

Although RISC OS is something of a backwater, there are nevertheless a variety of interesting programming languages that can be used with it. Generally speaking it is very difficult to port programming languages, most of which are developed under Unix, to RISC OS. It is not simply the fact that RISC OS does not use preemptive multitasking, and has a different notion of file-system. It is the absence of many standard tools which software developers take for granted. For some years a dedicated group have been working to ameliorate this situation. See, for example http://www.riscos.info/index.php/GCC.

There is very little software that has been designed for total portability - in the sense of only needing an ANSI C compiler. An example is Lua, http://www.lua.org/. For an implementation for RISC OS see http://lua.riscos.org.uk/ .
otium negare negotium vanum

Return to “RISCOS”