dslmeo

Overscan

Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:52 pm

Hi guys!

I'm running Risc OS using a TV as screen. It's a 32 inch TV but there is a black border around so the whole screen isn't used. In some distros for the Raspberry Pi, like FUZE-BASIC and Raspbian there is a possibility to "Overscan" which sorts this problem out and gives you a full screen experience. Is there a way to do that in Risc OS? Can't figure it out myself so I need some help. Thanks beforehand!

Have fun with the Raspberry Pi,
dslmeo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

DougieLawson

Re: Overscan

Tue Sep 23, 2014 6:37 pm

I grabbed a copy of the riscos-2014-06-04 RiscOS image and had a look at it with my SDCard reader using Raspbian.

There are two partitions on the SDCard. One is a FAT primary the other doesn't have a recognised filesystem type (Linux clearly hasn't ever met a RiscOS native filesystem).

If I mount the FAT partition I can see a CONFIG.TXT

Code: Select all

fake_vsync_isr=1
gpu_mem=32
init_emmc_clock=100000000
kernel=RISCOS.IMG
I've not tried it in Windows but it should appear if I insert the SDCard in my laptop.

You should be able to add the usual /boot/config.txt parameters to that file.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

Burngate

Wed Sep 24, 2014 11:10 am

As DougieLawson says, Config.txt is in the Fat partition and can be edited in Windows, just like the Linux versions. Since it's read before RISC OS (or Linux) starts, all the ususl rules apply.
If you want to do it inside RISC OS, it's at SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Loader.CONFIG.TXT
If you want to venture into more complicated stuff, Configure > Screen gives you lots of choices, including lots of different monitor types.
I've not ventured into the NOOBs version - too complicated for my little brain - but it shouldn't be too different.

The second partition isn't actually a real one - it's simply a protective cover for the RISC OS file system, since RISC OS doesn't understand disc patitioning.

lobey

Wed Sep 24, 2014 8:04 pm

[quote="dslmeo"]Hi guys!

I'm running Risc OS using a TV as screen. It's a 32 inch TV but there is a black border around so the whole screen isn't used. In some distros for the Raspberry Pi, like FUZE-BASIC and Raspbian there is a possibility to "Overscan" which sorts this problem out and gives you a full screen experience. Is there a way to do that in Risc OS? Can't figure it out myself so I need some help. Thanks beforehand!

Navigate to 'SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.!Boot.Loader.CONFIG.TXT'

Add the line 'disable_overscan=1', save it and on re-boot the border will have gone.

HTH

dslmeo

Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:01 pm

Hi again!

Thanks Y'all. Your advise, lobey, did the trick. Still have like half an inch at the sides and the top that are black. But anyway the screen size improved a lot. Thanks again!!!

Have fun,
dslmeo
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

Fidelius

Thu Jan 08, 2015 2:01 pm

lobey wrote:
dslmeo wrote:Add the line 'disable_overscan=1', save it and on re-boot the border will have gone.
I did that, but unfortunately the black border was still there...
However, when I changed all the four values in the lines named "overscan_left=...", "overscan_right=..." etc to "=0", then it worked.

Is this right, or did I miss something?

P.S. I've conected the Pi running NOOBS (with Raspbian and RISC OS) via HDMI to DVI cable to a DVI-enabled LCD monitor.

DavidS

Sun Feb 15, 2015 6:31 pm

I can not seem to find the link at the moment. Though there are other settings that can be used to get rid of the trouble, using the config.txt.

There is a page about the config.txt I am sure some one will link to for you, it is great information and includes all the possible settings (including overclocking, I am running at 900MHz on my RPi). The video settings are the biggest section.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “RISCOS”