AcornBBCnut

USB Stick unreadable in Risc OS

Sun Feb 09, 2014 10:37 am

Hi All,

I'm currently having a very frustrating problem, namely that when I plug a FAT32-formatted USB stick into my Pi under Risc OS, while the icon appears on the taskbar, clicking on it does absolutly nothing. I have tried re-fomatting the stick, using a differnt stick, and even Googling the problem to no avail - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jack

AMcS

Re: USB Stick unreadable in Risc OS

Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:04 pm

AcornBBCnut wrote:Hi All,

I'm currently having a very frustrating problem, namely that when I plug a FAT32-formatted USB stick into my Pi under Risc OS, while the icon appears on the taskbar, clicking on it does absolutly nothing. I have tried re-fomatting the stick, using a differnt stick, and even Googling the problem to no avail - any suggestions?

Cheers,
Jack
I've never had issues so I am not sure what's going on here.

There might be no harm asking over on the ROOL website (https://www.riscosopen.org).

It might be helpful to indicate the size of the USB stick (2/4/8/16GB etc.,), whether it is attached directly to the Pi or via a hub, if via Hub if the hub is powered and so forth. Also can you view the contents on a Windows box (if it's FAT formatted it should be visible there)?

Sorry I could not be of greater help.

JdavidSM

Sun Mar 16, 2014 12:01 am

I found that a stick plugged into a powered hub before power up is not recognized by RISCOS, but if it's plugged in after power up the same stick reads fine. My keyboard and mouse are not a problem and a stick mounted into the native usb port on the Pi before power is ok. I have the hub and Pi on the same power strip so both get juice at the same time.

kayel

Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:29 am

Do you dismount the stick before switching off?
Are you using a powered hub?

JdavidSM

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:51 pm

I have a stick permanently mounted on the Pi ( for storing user files ) and the keyboard and mouse are on a powered hub. If I need to move a file from PC to the Pi I use a second stick also mounted to the hub. If stick #2 is already mounted at power up the Pi can see it but can't read it. But if I plug it in "hot" it works fine. You can unplug USB sticks with the power on, but it's probably a good idea to use the manager to dismount them first. I understand this is called "hot swapping". If you were to remove a stick while it was being written to Bad Things would happen.

kayel

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:31 am

I have a cheap unpowered hub connected to the pi for the mouse and keyboard and a powered hub to power the pi and usb sticks and hard disks. Very occasionally, I get a similar problem to yours except that I don't get an icon on the icon bar when it happens. I have to switch off the pi and remove the usb stick and then switch on again and plug the stick in "hot". I haven't done any counting but it seems the problem is less frequent if I remember to dismount the stick before switching off.

I tried your configuration, (stick mounted directly on the pi with mouse and keyboard on the powered hub) but the mouse and keyboard didn't work. I got the usb stick icon on the icon bar but without the mouse I couldn't find out if it worked.

I suppose the "solution" is to try all permutations and combinations until it works for your hardware and if it still doesn't, buy recommended hardware.

GavinW

Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:38 am

I have an Eminent 7-port powered hub, two of whose ports are used to power the Raspberry Pi with a 2-into-1 usb cable (so as to get the adequate voltage). Another port is used for a permanent usb stick as working storage. I used to use a Logitech K260 wireless keyboard and mouse, with the wireless usb stick either on the hub or the Raspberry Pi itself. With either configuration I occasionally suffered lost mouseclicks so I reverted to a wired mouse, attached to the Raspberry Pi, and a wired keyboard attached to the hub, from my ancient Iyonix. This works fine and I use the K260 with the Iyonix, where it also works fine. Occasionally the icon for the permanent usb stick drops off the iconbar, usually if the hub gets disturbed by a passing cat, or whatever. The only cure is to reboot. Access shows icons for both the SD card and the permanent usb stick on other machines on my LAN - very convenient, though oddly the permanent usb stick's root directory has to have been opened on the Raspberry Pi before Access lets other machines get at it. I do not know whether this description of my arrangements is of any help to others.
otium negare negotium vanum

JdavidSM

Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:40 pm

Just an update:

My setup behaves the same way booting Rasbian. This issue seems to be stemming from a deeper level than the OS. For me this isn't much of a problem, I just need to plug the stick in after start up is finished - which for Risc Os doesn't take long.

Return to “RISCOS”