MrMoke

Using a wireless mouse and keyboard

Sun May 12, 2013 12:53 pm

This is my first foray into RISC OS. I have a GearHead wireless desktop, same as marketed by Allied Electric with the RPi, both keyboard and mouse work fine under Rasbian but when I boot RISC OS neither keyboard or mouse seem to work. Would I be correct in assuming the "no USB WiFi support in RISC OS" I've seen in several threads here, applies to all USB wireless devices and not just Ethernet WiFi? Is there a way I can troubleshoot this? I have an old wired keyboard I can try but it's been many years since I owned a wired mouse! Is there any way to navigate the WIMP using just a keyboard as you can in MS Windows using TAB, ALT-TAB, space bar etc.?

AMcS

Re: Using a wireless mouse and keyboard

Sun May 12, 2013 9:01 pm

MrMoke wrote:This is my first foray into RISC OS. I have a GearHead wireless desktop, same as marketed by Allied Electric with the RPi, both keyboard and mouse work fine under Rasbian but when I boot RISC OS neither keyboard or mouse seem to work. Would I be correct in assuming the "no USB WiFi support in RISC OS" I've seen in several threads here, applies to all USB wireless devices and not just Ethernet WiFi? Is there a way I can troubleshoot this? I have an old wired keyboard I can try but it's been many years since I owned a wired mouse! Is there any way to navigate the WIMP using just a keyboard as you can in MS Windows using TAB, ALT-TAB, space bar etc.?
I don't think the issue is connected with the WiFi (wireless keyboards and mice usually use Bluetooth). The key thing is that IF they appear like a HID (Human Interface Device) in short like a USB keyboard/mouse to the USB system they should just work like a wired keyboard and mouse.

I don't normally use a wireless keyboard (I do have a wireless mouse on a PC though) - I transferred it to the Pi to see if it would work - and it did. It's a Logitech M505.

It did, however, throw up an odd problem. That is sometimes the (wired) keyboard would appear to "auto-repeat" keys in an odd manner (as if I had held the key down - rather than releasing it - even though I had released it...). This normally NEVER happens when I have the wired keyboard attached to the Pi (it disappeared when I attached a wired mouse to the USB on the Pi motherboard).

I solved this problem for the Wireless mouse by moving the Bluetooth USB device to a powered USB hub then attaching the hub to the Pi while leaving the keyboard attached to the Pi.

I recommend you attach the WIRED keyboard to the USB connector on the Pi and try run the WIRELESS mouse initially off it too (don't use the wireless keyboard for now). If that works then that may be a possible partial solution if it doesn't (or if the auto-repeat issue arises) if you could disconnect the Wireless mouse usb device and move it to a powered USB hub see if that makes a difference.

Please let us know how you get on !

MrMoke

Tue May 14, 2013 12:46 am

AMcS

Really appreciate you experimenting on my behalf.
Just want to reiterate the Gearhead wireless desktop works perfectly on Rasbian, it's just an issue with RISC OS and if there is a way to navigate the WIMP (I believe this is what we usually call the RISC OS GUI) with a keyboard, and someone could tell me how, I could work out if the issue is with the mouse, keyboard, or both, I do have a wired keyboard; and today borrowed a Dell wired optical mouse. I am going to try both, as well as what you suggest. I'll also try running all or a mixture of devices on a powered USB hub when I get around to buying one, all the hubs I have at present are unpowered so I don't think I'll gain aught but further confusion from adding them to the mix! I have previously tried an old MS wired mouse, that interested enough seemed to create the same key repeat issue you experienced, but when I plugged it into my Dell Windows laptop, that was unrecognized, so I figured it was shot and didn't mention previously. I'll post results as soon as I can, but right now my Mexican food is getting cold :)

MrMoke

Tue May 14, 2013 4:21 am

Follow up:
Firstly, the mexican food hadn't gotten too cold and was excellent, way to go La Finca and especially extra for having free WiFi!
I have my RPi booting under Rasbian and Risc OS now, I had to plug the Wireless desktop WiFi dongle into one USB port and a wired dell optical mouse in the other and everything worked fine under both Rasbian and Risc OS, still curious as too why my initial setup didn't work so am going to experiment some more and post results here for everyone else's benefit.

Next challenge will be to get my RPi on the internet both under Rasbian and Risc OS, I understand Rasbian can handle WiFi so that should not be problematic, Risc OS doesn't have the support for WiFi which prompted myy original question, right now WiFi keyboard works fine but gotta have wirred mouse! Go figure! Anyhow, I'll post in this thread or elsewhere as appropriate.

Guy's I am having a blast, this is like we used to do back in the '80's before Microsoft et al started to tell us exactly what our computers were sposed to do! Anyone else get my drift (please post in appropriate forum / thread) Thiis thing (RPi) is great, my wife is involved in an adult / juvenile education program, the Pi would be great for her if she could get enough volunteers, aanyone game?

AMcS

Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 pm

MrMoke wrote:AMcS

Really appreciate you experimenting on my behalf.
No problem, glad to help a fellow RPi / RISC OS user !

zolbatar

Wed May 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Just to add to this discussion.

I have a Logitech k750 wireless keyboard and Logitech Anywhere MX mouse, they both connect to my PC laptop using a single logitech nano receiver. To work on the Pi I just unplug this and swap over, I don't need to reboot - it picks it up automatically.

I've noticed nothing untoward in the last couple of days of fairly heavy use.

MrMoke

Wed May 15, 2013 8:18 pm

Thanks for your input Zolbatar. Did you try it both under Rasbian and RISC OS? Although I bought the wireless desktop specifically for the RPi I've no doubt that the several wireless mouses and keyboards I have for PCs, laptops lying around would work on Rasbian I could not get the Gearhead equipment to work as it should under RISC OS.

AMcS

Wed May 15, 2013 9:02 pm

zolbatar wrote:Just to add to this discussion.

I have a Logitech k750 wireless keyboard and Logitech Anywhere MX mouse, they both connect to my PC laptop using a single logitech nano receiver. To work on the Pi I just unplug this and swap over, I don't need to reboot - it picks it up automatically.

I've noticed nothing untoward in the last couple of days of fairly heavy use.
Ok, so running RISC OS you could just swap the Logitech K750 keyboard and Anywhere Mouse over, I know the Logitech M505 wireless mouse also works and it is hot swappable as well.

The odd man out is the Gearhead, can I ask, MrMoke, is it just a "normal" (as in non-gaming type) wireless (as in Bluetooth) keyboard with a separate mouse ? Or is it something else (gaming and/or keyboard with integrated track pad) anything that might have it depart from the "bog standard" keyboard/mouse model?

sorvad

Thu May 16, 2013 5:52 am

After having no problems with a wireless mouse and also a combined keyboard/track-pad I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse combo with single nano receiver.

However when I move the mouse it works for about half a second then the entire RISCOS OS/Pi locks up. If using Raspbian the mouse works but the keyboard suffers from the repeating keys syndrome which I believe can be down to current use by the receiver?

I use a Pi-Hut power supply supposedly good for 1500mA so power shouldn't be an issue but it does look like it is. I'll have to check where I check the voltage.

AMcS

Thu May 16, 2013 9:51 pm

sorvad wrote:After having no problems with a wireless mouse and also a combined keyboard/track-pad I bought a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse combo with single nano receiver.

However when I move the mouse it works for about half a second then the entire RISCOS OS/Pi locks up. If using Raspbian the mouse works but the keyboard suffers from the repeating keys syndrome which I believe can be down to current use by the receiver?

I use a Pi-Hut power supply supposedly good for 1500mA so power shouldn't be an issue but it does look like it is. I'll have to check where I check the voltage.
Was your previous set up using two separate receivers ?

rlogiacco

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:59 am

I'm having the same issue regarding repeated keystrokes with a Microsoft keyboard and mouse, moving the dongle serving them both to a powered USB hub didn't help: any suggestion?

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 08, 2013 9:06 am

Most, if not all of the key-repeat issues have been fixed with a later kernel than back in May.
So to update to latest you can use rpi-update and your prblems should be solved.
rgds,
Texy
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

LemmeFatale

Sun Sep 08, 2013 4:28 pm

texy wrote:Most, if not all of the key-repeat issues have been fixed with a later kernel than back in May.
So to update to latest you can use rpi-update and your prblems should be solved.
rgds,
Texy
Unless I've missed something, I'm not sure that rpi-update's available for RISC OS... :)
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

FrancisHK

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:12 pm

I tried with a MS Wireless Keyboard on a raspbian OS, repeated key happened, same as others.

neo137

Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:19 am

Yes wifi keyboard are mouse work fine. I have the cheap gearhead keyboard. Just use "us " keyboard the generic setup works fine.
:D

Return to “RISCOS”