thejrcrafter

CUPS on RISC OS?

Mon May 06, 2013 11:24 pm

Hey guys,
I would like to set up a CUPS server on RISC OS, like the one in this tutorial: http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.c ... h-CUPS.htm
(This did work on Raspbian.) Basically, I want a basic server that auto-distributes the drivers for the printer, hooked up by USB by the way.
I know that this would not only require a CUPS server running, but also Samba in order to get the drivers distributed- or at least that's what I think. I would do this on Raspbian, but I want to mess around with some BBC BASIC, too. (I'm assuming there's also no way to get MC-Pi on it? Not really required, but it would be cool.)
Thanks for all the help and good luck,
thejrcrafter

theom

Re: CUPS on RISC?

Wed May 08, 2013 11:10 pm

CUPS doesn't run on RISC OS. While RISC OS can print to network printers, it's not really a server OS so isn't good at running this kind of sit-in-the-background service. There is a Samba server, but that's probably not going to help much.

If not having CUPS is a showstopper, you could use 'brandy' to run BBC BASIC on Linux?
Otherwise dual-boot (ie have two SD cards)?

AMcS

Sun May 12, 2013 10:17 am

theom wrote:If not having CUPS is a showstopper, you could use 'brandy' to run BBC BASIC on Linux? Otherwise dual-boot (ie have two SD cards)?
Brandy and BBC BASIC are not exactly alike though (BBC BASIC supports graphics/sound whereas Brandy does not and BBC BASIC on RISC OS is faster).

On the "dual boot" thing is there any option to allow the user (without changing the card) to dual boot (select RISC OS or one/more of the Linux distributions) ? If so having RISC OS as the boot OS (as it's quicker than the Linux startups) would be desirable.

DavidS

Fri May 17, 2013 2:33 am

I do not understand the advantage of using CUPS, RISC OS is not in any way related to UNIX and CUPS is Commom UNIX Printing Service.

If your goal is simply to share a printer atached to your RPi running RISC OS with other computers there are alternative ways to do this. I would configure the verious secondary machines to run a script for printing that would print to a PDF and save the PDF to a FTP share that would be hosted on the RISC OS machine, and write a small program on the RISC OS system that whaches the directory that is the destinition directory configured by your RISC OS based FTP server and prints any PDF that apears there 5 seconds after the file is closed and has not been updated. Simple enough to do, and you would be using a local IP on your network that assuming that you have correctly configured your router is not visale to the outside world.

The details of how each step is accomplished is a matter of taste as well as working with in the constraints of each OS that must use the given printer.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Fri May 17, 2013 2:40 am

Of cource you would probably wish for the program that prints the PDF on RISC OS to delete the PDF once the job is complete.

I would recomend having a CPn at the en of the PDF filename just before the PDF extension to indicate the number of copies to print, where n in CPn is replaced by the number of copies to print. You could use other details of the file naming to specify other printing features, such as double vs singlesided, number of pages per leaf, color vs grey scale vs grey scale black ink only etc.

Once again many of the features and secific implementation are dependant largely on personal taste.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

svrsig

Mon May 27, 2013 11:21 am

The only CUPS server I have is based on a protocol called TEAPOT.

remsnet

Mon May 27, 2013 12:27 pm

thejrcrafter wrote:Hey guys,
Thanks for all the help and good luck,
thejrcrafter
as RPIs are cheap , buy another RPI , load rpi debian , and install & fireup CUPS there.

hope this helps.

Return to “RISCOS”