wmsundell
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 am

No access to internet via wireless

Thu May 02, 2013 6:06 am

Hi,
I need help to access internet in RISC OS Pi operating system.
I keyed in all the info in the Network configuration app. It seems to only work in the eithernet connection. I don't have eithernet. I only have a Verizon wireless hotspot. The dongle is a WiPi from Element 14 and works excellent in the Raspbain OS but does not work in RISC OS Pi. Can someone help me get it to work?
Thank you,
Bill

nr.
Posts: 144
Joined: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:51 am
Location: The Fens
Contact: Website

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Thu May 02, 2013 7:43 am

Hi,

Wireless ethernet isn't supported on RISC OS currently. You can possibly get around this by using another access point in client mode connected to the ethernet port on the pi, but that's really a bit of a bodge.
--
nr.

User avatar
LemmeFatale
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:47 pm
Location: UK

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Thu May 02, 2013 12:49 pm

You can get around RISC OS' current lack of wireless support by using one of these - it's an Edimax BR-6258N Nano router, which can act as a router proper, or as a wireless client to connect to your existing router. As nr. notes, it is a little bit of a bodge, but it's a compact-enough device to render this not much of an issue.

This is what I use with my Raspberry Pi/Motorola Lapdock setup, and I power it from the Lapdock. Given this, I'm not sure if you can power it from the RPi itself, or whether you'll need a powered hub for it, but it definitely works very well for allowing wireless access from RISC OS!
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

SiriusHardware
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Thu May 02, 2013 5:22 pm

LemmeFatale wrote:You can get around RISC OS' current lack of wireless support by using one of these - it's an Edimax BR-6258N Nano router, which can act as a router proper, or as a wireless client to connect to your existing router. As nr. notes, it is a little bit of a bodge, but it's a compact-enough device to render this not much of an issue.

This is what I use with my Raspberry Pi/Motorola Lapdock setup, and I power it from the Lapdock. Given this, I'm not sure if you can power it from the RPi itself, or whether you'll need a powered hub for it, but it definitely works very well for allowing wireless access from RISC OS!
I haven't tried one but in theory the OP could also use the Netgear WNCE2001. It's an ethernet-to-wifi bridge box which would wirelessly connect any device which only has an ethernet port (Raspberry Pi, old type Xbox 360, DVD players and other media boxes) to a wireless router. As far as I know it only has one ethernet port, though, so it can only serve one connected device at a time.

wmsundell
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Fri May 03, 2013 4:50 am

Thanks for all your replies. Somewhat helpful. If the WiPi works in Raspbain, is there a way to write up a program or does anyone have one written up that I could load it into the RISC OS Pi operating system? Or, is there an upgrade to this OS to allow it to address and activate the WiPi?

Bill

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23876
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Fri May 03, 2013 5:06 am

wmsundell wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Somewhat helpful. If the WiPi works in Raspbain, is there a way to write up a program or does anyone have one written up that I could load it into the RISC OS Pi operating system? Or, is there an upgrade to this OS to allow it to address and activate the WiPi?

Bill
It's a big job, no-ones done it yet, so there is no upgrade for RISCOS to use wireless I am afraid.

Raspbian is Linux and has had many people for many years working on the wireless stuff, and i'ts sufficiently different from RISCOS to make any movement of code from one to the other pretty hopeless.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

AMcS
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Sun May 05, 2013 12:57 am

jamesh wrote:
wmsundell wrote:Thanks for all your replies. Somewhat helpful. If the WiPi works in Raspbain, is there a way to write up a program or does anyone have one written up that I could load it into the RISC OS Pi operating system? Or, is there an upgrade to this OS to allow it to address and activate the WiPi?

Bill
It's a big job, no-ones done it yet, so there is no upgrade for RISCOS to use wireless I am afraid.
Yep that's the case currently but things can change.
jamesh wrote:Raspbian is Linux and has had many people for many years working on the wireless stuff, and it's sufficiently different from RISCOS to make any movement of code from one to the other pretty hopeless.
It's still an on-going problem for Linux, WiFi frequently uses components that are proprietary and for which little information is available and/or no open source drivers. For instance today in a local electronic shop I seen about a half dozen small USB WiFi devices - most support one or more version of Windows (even Windows 8 in one case...) but only ONE supported Linux. This isn't the fault of Linux (or it's developers) but an issue arising about the way WiFi has rolled out and the attitude of manufacturers.

The difference for RISC OS developers going forward is that they can see how their Linux compatriots got around the myriad issues that impeded getting WiFi onto that platform. So yes the problem is a difficult one but not as daunting as the Linux guys had to contend with at the start - so (overall) I'd be optimistic that, overtime, WiFi will appear on RISC OS.

As to porting things to RISC OS from Linux things aren't quite so black and white, Firefox was ported from Linux, the Ethernet Stack and USB derived from BSD (another Unix). I suspect the WiFi (if it arrives) is more likely to come from BSD - but hey who knows.

@Bill - I hope you find RISC OS useful enough to persist with (IMHO it's worth the effort), the solutions/workarounds suggested are *not* as neat as having USB WiFi - but at least they offer an option - until something better (hopefully) comes along.

wmsundell
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:13 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Sun May 05, 2013 3:52 am

Ok, guys.... Here's what I did.... I bought a Netgear router, WN2000RPT and hooked it up. The Pi is communicating to it but I have a brick wall. My hotspot is a Verizon Jetpack and the router is not picking it up. Now, I have another brick wall, I need instructions step by step how and what to put in the RISC OS config in the network section. This would be a biggie for me if I can get it to work.

Thank you.
Bill

AMcS
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Tue May 07, 2013 9:04 pm

wmsundell wrote:Ok, guys.... Here's what I did.... I bought a Netgear router, WN2000RPT and hooked it up. The Pi is communicating to it but I have a brick wall. My hotspot is a Verizon Jetpack and the router is not picking it up. Now, I have another brick wall, I need instructions step by step how and what to put in the RISC OS config in the network section. This would be a biggie for me if I can get it to work.

Thank you.
Bill
Hi Bill,

Unfortunately I am unfamiliar with the WN2000RPT or the Verizon JetPack - the starting point I think would be to get them to see each other.

Can you see any other WiFi signals from the WN2000RPT (I presume it presents you with it's configuration web page - according to it's manual it should display any WiFi signals in range when in the Setup Wizard ?).

If it sees any then it is functional and that probably the JetPack is either (a). Out of Range (ok unlikely that as you had the Pi running with the WiPi before) or (b). Isn't broadcasting it's SSID so it's invisible to the RPT.

You could, as an alternative, configure the RPT to JetPack using a PC and with the RPT seeing the JetPack, then try set up the Pi to access the JetPack via the new link?

Regarding the RISC OS stuff you could ask the guys over on RISC OS Open's site - they build the OS and are quite knowledgeable (https://www.riscosopen.org) and might be able to advise.

I hope the above helps.

Regards
A

sorvad
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Sat May 11, 2013 11:25 am

I've ordered a cheap wireless bridge, I'll post back if I get it to work successfully.

In the mean time I've configured my wireless enabled laptop as a bridge to the LAN socket on the Pi. This was because my broadband router is in the centre of the house but not conveniently near anywhere where I could work on RISCOS on a TV. Now I can sit at the kitchen table with the laptop connected to the broadband via wireless and RISCOS Pi connected to the laptop using the LAN socket. Not sure if anyone has posted about doing this before, if they haven't and anyone wants details I can post them if required. It was quite simple to set up.

AMcS
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Sun May 12, 2013 10:10 am

sorvad wrote:I've ordered a cheap wireless bridge, I'll post back if I get it to work successfully.

In the mean time I've configured my wireless enabled laptop as a bridge to the LAN socket on the Pi. This was because my broadband router is in the centre of the house but not conveniently near anywhere where I could work on RISCOS on a TV. Now I can sit at the kitchen table with the laptop connected to the broadband via wireless and RISCOS Pi connected to the laptop using the LAN socket. Not sure if anyone has posted about doing this before, if they haven't and anyone wants details I can post them if required. It was quite simple to set up.
Like you, my brother used a Laptop (with WiFi) with the Pi attached via the Ethernet port to the Laptop (the PC was set to share it's Internet connection). I don't have that option so I'd be interested to hear how your cheap wireless bridge works out, thanks!

sorvad
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Tue May 14, 2013 7:26 pm

Right this arrived today and had it up and working with RISCOS on the Pi in about 10mins. Here's the link on Amazon for the one that I bought (£14 ish);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

Note that I power it from the Pi using the USB connection the unit has. If you do not want to do that then you may need to buy a power supply.

I configured as per instructions on a PC and then just followed the instructions on the welcome html file of the RISCOS image from this site. Worked first time. Weird thing was it wouldn't work on my PC. But I couldn't be bothered to investigate. My laptop does have a lot of different networking stuff on it which may have confused it.

So now I have a wireless RISCOS set-up :)

SiriusHardware
Posts: 502
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:09 pm
Location: UK

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Tue May 14, 2013 9:32 pm

sorvad wrote:Right this arrived today and had it up and working with RISCOS on the Pi in about 10mins. Here's the link on Amazon for the one that I bought (£14 ish);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

Note that I power it from the Pi using the USB connection the unit has. If you do not want to do that then you may need to buy a power supply.

I configured as per instructions on a PC and then just followed the instructions on the welcome html file of the RISCOS image from this site. Worked first time. Weird thing was it wouldn't work on my PC. But I couldn't be bothered to investigate. My laptop does have a lot of different networking stuff on it which may have confused it.

So now I have a wireless RISCOS set-up :)
That's amazingly cheap for what it does, just a few pounds more than a USB wifi dongle.

sorvad
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Wed May 15, 2013 6:14 am

Price seems to fluctuate slightly for some reason, when I bought it it was £15.29, It's now as I look £15.09 and yesterday it was £14.xx. So not varying much but strangely moving about, perhaps linked to some sort of live exchange rate ?

Also the software comes on Mini-CD for the PC. If this is an issue I could always send a copy.

AMcS
Posts: 184
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:23 am
Location: Dublin, Ireland

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Thu May 16, 2013 10:02 pm

SiriusHardware wrote:
sorvad wrote:Right this arrived today and had it up and working with RISCOS on the Pi in about 10mins. Here's the link on Amazon for the one that I bought (£14 ish);

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005 ... UTF8&psc=1

Note that I power it from the Pi using the USB connection the unit has. If you do not want to do that then you may need to buy a power supply.

I configured as per instructions on a PC and then just followed the instructions on the welcome html file of the RISCOS image from this site. Worked first time. Weird thing was it wouldn't work on my PC. But I couldn't be bothered to investigate. My laptop does have a lot of different networking stuff on it which may have confused it.

So now I have a wireless RISCOS set-up :)
That's amazingly cheap for what it does, just a few pounds more than a USB wifi dongle.
Agreed, it's cheap enough and is a product that makes the whole business of having a USB WiFi connection less pressing (although it would be nice to have the option though :) ).

Steve Drain
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Exeter UK

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:33 am

sorvad wrote:In the mean time I've configured my wireless enabled laptop as a bridge to the LAN socket on the Pi. [...] Not sure if anyone has posted about doing this before, if they haven't and anyone wants details I can post them if required. It was quite simple to set up.
I missed this post earlier, but I have just been discussing how to use a PC for internet access in the ROOL forum. I have it working with fixed IP addresses on the Pi, but I would like to hear how you set about it.

I would also like to know if it is possible to set up full network access via a PC, in addition to the internet sharing. My PC has wireless and ethernet and I can add an ethernet socket via USB.

sorvad
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Dec 22, 2011 11:04 am

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:36 pm

I can give more detail if required, but for bridging I used this guide

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFLtw0uxDYY

and then followed the instructions on the RISCOS desktop for networking. Worked right away but I didn't try to see if I could use other network facilities, although I think you can as it's a bridged network not just internet sharing. Don't think I used a fixed IP, I'd have to check again. Didn't need one for my bought wireless bridge gadget at least.

Steve Drain
Posts: 105
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:08 pm
Location: Exeter UK

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Tue Jun 04, 2013 5:18 pm

sorvad wrote:I can give more detail if required, but for bridging I used this guide
Thanks. I have XP and I have tried bridging, but I have concluded that it is not a sophisticated as 7. Shared internet access is quite sufficient for my needs anyway.

User avatar
DavidS
Posts: 4334
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:39 am
Location: USA
Contact: Website

Re: No access to internet via wireless

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:53 pm

If you have a networked internet connection supporting 802.11b/g/n then how do you not have 802.3 Ethernet? Where does your 802.11 router hook to the ISPs 'MODEM'?

Secondly:
If this is on your account with an ISP why would you use 802.11a/b/g/n/n+ ????? These are all hacks of standards, and they all have significant packet loss (even though often not noticed by you, it realy does make a diference in speed), above and beyond Ethernet.

Thirdly:
RISC OS does not support 802.11b/g/n/n+ in any form currently. While this may be added at some point it will be just as flakey as it is on Linux, BSD, Haiku OS, AROS, etc. 802.11 is flakey in more ways than 500.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Return to “RISCOS”