toiletduck

Boot problem

Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi,

Having once been an A3000 and then RISC PC user when I spotted in the news that RISC OS was available on the pi I was intrigued. Anyway I ordered the pre loaded sd card and a rev b pi and excitedly attached to my tv waiting to see the familiar desktop for the first time in over ten years but sadly I see nothing but a blank screen. The red power led comes on and a green one for a few seconds but nothing more.

I tried multiple power supplies (ipad, iPhone, and even the tv USB port) but nothing. I can read the sd card in my pc ok, but it won't work in the pi!

Just to check I didn't have a duff one I bought an 8gb sd card and installed raspbian which worked fine, i then reformatted it with raspbmc again it works fine although crashes a lot. So then I tried reformatting with RISC os, the sd card contained the same files as the one I bought but the same result - blank screen.

What am I doing wrong?

Ps. Wasn't exactly impressed with the way the sd card was packaged just selotaped onto a letter in a paper envelope! Charged £2 for p&p too!

Andy

tvjon

Re: Boot problem

Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:16 pm

All of those psu's work fine for RISCOS on RPI's I've tried.

You don't mention what kind of tv you're using?

http://elinux.org/RPiconfig

may give you some ideas to try in the config.txt file.

DexOS

Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:25 am

Its possible that the boot loaders are the problem, the latest firmware (eg: bootcode.bin and start.elf) give problem to all OS other that linux, even bare metal code.
Find out what date those files were made and if they are this year (2013), then try and get some older ver's.
Theres some in my zip, if you need them
http://www.dex-os.com/DexBasic/Test.zip

Note: just replace bootcode.bin and start.elf
Batteries not included, Some assembly required.

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:25 am

The tv is a 2011 Sony 1080p led screen connected by hdmi.

I will try altering the files, can these be viewed and altered on a pc?

DavidS

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:12 am

Also many people ave troble with RISC OS if the SD Card is not pressing the microswitch in the SD slot, usualy Linux will still work.

You may wish to try the RISC OS Image that can be downloaded from the Raspberry Pi Download page. Download it and write to a SD Card in the same way you do the Linux distros, and see if that works.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 8:44 am

You wrote earlier:
"I can read the sd card in my pc ok, "

so did you not try to open the text files to ensure they are readable on your pc?

You wrote that alternative SD's are working ok on RPi, so, on your pc (since you can't yet get to RISC OS) make a new directory (folder) in the PiBoot partition that is visible on your pc, & move the existing

kernel.img

into that folder.
Next, either copy, or rename the file called

"riscos"

from your RISC OS SD card, or from a mounted image of RISC OS that you can get from the downloads area here, or the latest & greatest from:

https://www.riscosopen.org/zipfiles/mis ... 1361770377

to

kernel.img

putting it where the previous kernel.img was.

Now insert SD firmly into RPi, & reboot.

You should after a few seconds see a stream of symbols on screen, followed by a "desktop" & an error window saying stuff is missing (which it is, but this is just a test) You can dismiss that error(s) & eventually you should see a screen that reminds you of RISC OS.

Report back here what happens.

Hello Dex.

I've just tried the above again with Jan' 13 dated firmware files & RISC OS loads fine. Those files are problematic with Alex Chadwick's files, but RISC OS seems fine.

DavidS

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:00 am

tvjon wrote:You wrote that alternative SD's are working ok on RPi, so, on your pc (since you can't yet get to RISC OS) make a new directory (folder) in the PiBoot partition that is visible on your pc, & move the existing

kernel.img

into that folder.

"riscos"

from your RISC OS SD card, or from a mounted image of RISC OS that you can get from the downloads area here, or the latest & greatest from:

to

kernel.img

putting it where the previous kernel.img was
It is not kernel.img for the RISC OS setup, it is RISCOS.IMG
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

jojopi

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:11 am

DavidS wrote:It is not kernel.img for the RISC OS setup, it is RISCOS.IMG
The ARM boot file must always be called kernel.img, unless config.txt says otherwise. And tvjon was talking about adding just the "riscos" kernel to a known-good Linux image as a test, not using "the RISC OS setup". The file names were correct.

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:46 am

DavidS wrote:Also many people ave troble with RISC OS if the SD Card is not pressing the microswitch in the SD slot, usualy Linux will still work.

You may wish to try the RISC OS Image that can be downloaded from the Raspberry Pi Download page. Download it and write to a SD Card in the same way you do the Linux distros, and see if that works.
Hi, Ive have done exactly this but it doesnt work. The SD card created appears to be identical to the one I bought when viewed on a PC, same datestamp on files same size etc. However its exactly the same problem when I put it in the Pi, the red power light comes on and the green light briefly but a blank screen on my TV.

Might it be because I am using a TV? Does RISC OS perhaps default to an image resolution not supported by my TV?

That said apart from a few seconds of the green led ligthing up nothing appears to be happening.

Cheers

Tide

Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:57 am

Perhaps this video could be of help to you?

AMcS

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:03 am

toiletduck wrote:Might it be because I am using a TV? Does RISC OS perhaps default to an image resolution not supported by my TV?

That said apart from a few seconds of the green led ligthing up nothing appears to be happening.

Cheers
It only takes RISC OS a few seconds of activity to start - I find the green led flashes a few times in quick succession - and then the desktop appears (there really isn't any activity after that unless you're copying/running something...).

I've tried a RaspPi on an LG 40" and Samsung 40" TVs and it worked both times (at 1080p) - my image seems to initially pop up in a much lower resolution (it's still visible though - just a bit bloated and not in the right aspect). Once you change the resolution all is well (I just wonder is it that the Sony "blanks" the screen rather than displaying anything?).

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:05 am

tvjon wrote:You wrote earlier:
"I can read the sd card in my pc ok, "

so did you not try to open the text files to ensure they are readable on your pc?

You wrote that alternative SD's are working ok on RPi, so, on your pc (since you can't yet get to RISC OS) make a new directory (folder) in the PiBoot partition that is visible on your pc, & move the existing

kernel.img

into that folder.

"riscos"

to

kernel.img

putting it where the previous kernel.img was.

Now insert SD firmly into RPi, & reboot.

You should after a few seconds see a stream of symbols on screen, followed by a "desktop" & an error window saying stuff is missing (which it is, but this is just a test) You can dismiss that error(s) & eventually you should see a screen that reminds you of RISC OS.

Report back here what happens.

Hello Dex.

I've just tried the above again with Jan' 13 dated firmware files & RISC OS loads fine. Those files are problematic with Alex Chadwick's files, but RISC OS seems fine.
Hi, text files are readable on my pc yes.

Ok, I have done as described and it boots now! I get a brief flash of what might be a RISC os desktop then a RISC os error message "machine startup has not completed successfully: 'File '&.!BOOT' not found'

Cancel/retry.

It then keeps attempting to reboot and comes back to the above error.

Thanks for your help!

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:26 am

Tide wrote:Perhaps this video could be of help to you?
Thanks Ive had a look but the video says that it should work without modifications over HDMI, changes to the config file are only needed for the composite output.

Apart from that I have done everything as described in the video and it will not boot neither form the pre-loaded SD card nor one I have created.

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:53 pm

jojopi,
thank you kindly for helping out there :)

"Ok, I have done as described and it boots now! I get a brief flash of what might be a RISC os desktop then a RISC os error message "machine startup has not completed successfully: 'File '&.!BOOT' not found'"

Ok, that's what I'd expect you to get!

At first I thought maybe your RISCOS SD card's file system was corrupt, but seems unlikely as you can't boot from it anyway, yet read it fine in ms win.

So, as you have little (nothing?) to lose, you could now copy the same name files from your "working" bootable RISC OS originally Linux SD card over to your real RISC OS SD card, perhaps first of all moving the original files to a new folder?

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:18 pm

tvjon wrote:jojopi,
thank you kindly for helping out there :)

"Ok, I have done as described and it boots now! I get a brief flash of what might be a RISC os desktop then a RISC os error message "machine startup has not completed successfully: 'File '&.!BOOT' not found'"

Ok, that's what I'd expect you to get!

At first I thought maybe your RISCOS SD card's file system was corrupt, but seems unlikely as you can't boot from it anyway, yet read it fine in ms win.

So, as you have little (nothing?) to lose, you could now copy the same name files from your "working" bootable RISC OS originally Linux SD card over to your real RISC OS SD card, perhaps first of all moving the original files to a new folder?
Close but not quite, it now boots but doesnt make it into the RISC OS desktop. In the window in the middle of the screen that looks like its the old BASIC style, white text on black, it notes a keyboard not present error and seems to freeze.

Perhaps it doesnt like my keyboard? Although it was working previously in that i could ok the error box last time.

microbitsuk

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm

You need to read these posts carefully
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 55&t=35164
and this one
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 55&t=34227
then check the metal strip and report back.

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:32 pm

"Perhaps it doesnt like my keyboard? "

No, that keyboard error line is a red herring.

At the * prompt (flashing cursor) type:

desktop

& let us know what happens :)

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:04 pm

tvjon wrote:"Perhaps it doesnt like my keyboard? "

No, that keyboard error line is a red herring.

At the * prompt (flashing cursor) type:

desktop

& let us know what happens :)
Unfortunately I can't, below the keyboard error it says:

Boot:Choices.Boot.PreDesk.!!VCHIQ

And below that is a flashing underscore, the hour glass is going and I can move the mouse although the sensitivity is far too high, but I cannot type anything. It appears to have frozen.

Andy

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Ok, then that is an incompatibility with the firmware. vchiq is a file to communicate with the VideoCore processor I believe.

I'll see if I can find out more, but in the meantime, try replacing

start.elf

with the same name file from an earlier release, perhaps from one of your other SD cards?

bootcode.bin

is also a candidate.

If you can, try to keep a folder somewhere of the files which currently "work" so you have a way to get at least as far you have.

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:25 pm

Do you have this file (attached) in your boot folder?

If not, try this one to see if it makes a difference (unzip it first).
Attachments
vchiq.zip
(14.36 KiB) Downloaded 168 times

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 4:00 pm

I managed to reproduce your vchiq message by getting yet another "start.elf" which caused the failure, so Dex maybe that's the file you found which caused a problem you mentioned!

If you give me a URL I can post a file to, I'll send you the relevant start.elf that does fix that problem here.

toiletduck

Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:22 pm

tvjon wrote:Do you have this file (attached) in your boot folder?

If not, try this one to see if it makes a difference (unzip it first).
Hi, I just tried this but it makes no difference unfortunately.

Andy

tvjon

Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok,

download the file (start.elf.zip) from:

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-c08c2742.html

microbitsuk

Mon Mar 04, 2013 1:25 am

Hi all have you seen this post yet https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/1726
it seem that you need the latest firmware to run any new images from the download site at Risc os open.

DavidS

Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:21 am

microbitsuk wrote:Hi all have you seen this post yet https://www.riscosopen.org/forum/forums/1/topics/1726
it seem that you need the latest firmware to run any new images from the download site at Risc os open.

This should have no effect on the SD Card purchased from ROOL or the one downloaded from the Raspberry Pi site as these are both using the Beta rom dated 1-November-2012, and the changes only effect very very recent Alpha ROMS.

Return to “RISCOS”