dntpls

Run Programs

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi there,

I got risc os. And i am conten with it.

But now i've been running into a problem.

I downloaded a few Programs for risc os (like dosbox) on my win 7 pc.

I transferred the files via usb stick.

And now i dont know how execute the thing.

Installing with !Pacman not an option because the pi doesnt have internet access.

It has three folders :

App
----Emulation
----------------!Dosbox
Riscpkg
Something else

But every time i double click !Dosbox it opens the text editor

Please can someone help?

thx,

Dntpls

DavidS

Re: Run Programs

Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:19 pm

Oh:
Do not extract the ZIP on windows, do not open it in windows. Transfer it to RISC OS and then open the ZIP. You are loosig the FileTypes this is why it opens the Run File in Edit, it thinks it is a text file.

Also if you download the version of DOSBox from NO RISC NO FUN, you can just drag the program out of the ZIP to wherever you want to install it, no extra directories.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

dntpls

Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:45 pm

DavidS wrote:Oh:
Do not extract the ZIP on windows, do not open it in windows. Transfer it to RISC OS and then open the ZIP. You are loosig the FileTypes this is why it opens the Run File in Edit, it thinks it is a text file.

Also if you download the version of DOSBox from NO RISC NO FUN, you can just drag the program out of the ZIP to wherever you want to install it, no extra directories.
Thank you so much for the help :D

It all works fine

Thanks again

DNTPLS

LemmeFatale

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:51 pm

Just out of curiousity, does the warning not to extract the zip-files using Microsoft Windows also apply to other OSes, such as Linux, *BSD, and Mac OS X, as well, please?
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

DavidS

Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:57 pm

LemmeFatale wrote:Just out of curiousity, does the warning not to extract the zip-files using Microsoft Windows also apply to other OSes, such as Linux, *BSD, and Mac OS X, as well, please?
Yes it applies to all OSes other than RISC OS. Good point :-).
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

LemmeFatale

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:11 pm

Thanks much, DavidS. That's well worth knowing.

I'm a Linux user, and I'll be joining you guys as a virtual "first-time" RISC OS user soon (just waiting for some stuff from R-Comp right now). I figure that using it in school twenty years ago doesn't really qualify me as a former-user, so I'm counting myself as a newcomer! Anyway, I just want to be sure that I know this stuff before I start off and potentially get myself confused. :lol:
Classic - Raspberry Pi Model B (512MB) with Motorola Atrix Lapdock
Lemcon-One - Raspberry Pi Model B (256MB) PiMAME TV-Box

tvjon

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:37 pm

I use OS X & iOS, & often expand RiscOS zip'd files so that I can read the doc's whilst travelling. The zip files are not destroyed, just that the file type information isn't retained. If all you have is the contents of a file inadvertently unzipped on an alien OS, unless there's a great deal of affected files, you can just change the relevant files to their correct type in RiscOS :)

DavidS

Sat Feb 16, 2013 5:55 pm

tvjon wrote:I use OS X & iOS, & often expand RiscOS zip'd files so that I can read the doc's whilst travelling. The zip files are not destroyed, just that the file type information isn't retained. If all you have is the contents of a file inadvertently unzipped on an alien OS, unless there's a great deal of affected files, you can just change the relevant files to their correct type in RiscOS :)
Yes and I often do. Though it can not be expecte that those that are new to RISC OS will know the filetypes. Also the warning on not extracting them is only meant if the new uers wish to run the app on RISC OS.

tvjon

Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Quite right David. As is often the case, I did think about that, after I'd posted :D

Oh, & thank you for your ROOL & posts here, very useful for someone new to RiscOS like myself.

dntpls

Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:47 am

I have a second question.

Can i expand the file system of RISC OS on the pi?

Or doesn't RISC OS give the support?

I read a few posts on riscopen, but they all say that you have to expand it on the sd card with gparted in linux.

DNTPLS

AMcS

Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:22 pm

dntpls wrote:I have a second question.

I read a few posts on riscopen, but they all say that you have to expand it on the sd card with gparted in linux.

DNTPLS
If you need more space another alternative might be to put RISC OS onto either a memory stick or for more capacity on a hard disk (on the USB port). This approach - though a bit lengthy - is explained in: http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 55&t=30180

RISC OS can handle largish disks but the thing is it currently has no concept of a "partition" (which is why the manipulation of the partition has to occur outside RISC OS.

microbitsuk

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:20 pm

It looks like we need to explain how file type work on Risc OS so i will begin
firstly Risc OS uses meta data to determine the file type unlike most other OS's they do not use a
delimiter and an extension JPG, MPEG etc.
So when a user open a Risc OS zip file on say Windows the extracting program look for an extension,
not finding one will extract the file as text.
so if the user moves the file over to Risc OS it will not run because the file types are wrong,
This has the affect of opening the file in edit or the text editor of you choice.
To get over this problem all the user needs to do is copy the Zip or Archive over to Risc OS before he unzip's it.
To answer the second question when you create the image for Risc OS on Windows, OX 10
Linux it will have the complete system as soon as you plug it in and boot it, if you need extra room then you can use an external SSD,Hard disc, USBDrive etc.
I hope this answers your questions feel feer to ask any more.

DavidS

Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:20 pm

dntpls wrote:I have a second question.

DNTPLS
There is no way to expand a FileCore filesystem at this time. My Boot drive for RISC OS is a 32GB thumb drive, and I have a 1TB SATA HDD hooked up with a USB to SATA adaptor.

In order to boot off of a device other than the SD Card:
  • 1:) Format the device that you wish to use as FileCore.
    2:) Copy over everything from the FileCore Partition on the SD Card.
    3:) Press F12.
    4:) Type "Configure Filesystem SCSI" without the quotes, press Enter.
    5:) Type "Configure Boot" without the quotes, press Enter.
    6:) Press Enter again.
    7:) Reboot.
There are a few extra steps recommended, though the above will do the job.

A few notes:
  • -You must leave the !Boot.Loader file on the SD Card as RISC OS exects it to be there.
    -USB May not be as reliable as you may like depending on the device you use and the HUB that it is plugged into.
    -RISC OS is still limitted to a maximum size for a single File of 4GB = 4096MB = 4194304KB = 4294967296Bytes.

Return to “RISCOS”