DavidS

RISC OS On RPi3 Closer.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:13 am

RISC OS runs very well on the Raspberry Pi 3B.

Unfortunately there are a few utilities that have not yet been updated for the ARMv8 CPU. That I have found so far these include:
!PDF
!Zap
!InterGIF

There are of course more that do not yet work.

And for the RPi 3B you need to have at least version 3.5 of Netsurf. This can be a problem, as the RPi SD image is set up to automaticaly start an older version of Netsurf on the first boot to display a getting started page, and this locks the system. Though you can bypass this by pressing escape as soon as the boot sequence begins (to stop it from running the boot sequence), then install a newer version of Netsurf (which you will have to have downloaded with a different system), and reboot.

Also you need a newer ROM than what comes with the RC14 SD Card image, this can be replaced easily though. It is also recommended that you update the !boot sequence.

Though as soon as !PDF gets updated I will be using the RPi 3B as my main RISC OS system, as it is the only thing that I need on a regular bases that does not yet run on the RPi 3B.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

dfeugey

Re: RISC OS On RPi3 Closer.

Fri Oct 07, 2016 4:47 am

Chris has modern (and VFP too, check for links on ROOL forum) versions of many software.
http://www.riscosports.co.uk/downloads.html

And there are now some tools to patch yourself applications to remove SWP instructions.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Pyjamarama

Fri Oct 07, 2016 9:32 am

The RC14 is quite old.

I hope an RC15 comes up that will provide more things that work-out-of-the-box for Pi3. No more update4.zip or HartDisk4.zip (which I cannot understand what to do with).

Also simple things like a shortcut to BBC Basic editor.

It is easier for someone that hasn't used RiscOS before (like me), to get to know RiscOS without having elementary issues.

I guess USB pads or WiFi might be difficult more a small scale OS...it would be awesome though.

I am not grumping. I really want to get into this OS. I never had an Archie (a speccy, Amiga owner) but I always wanted one.

dfeugey

Fri Oct 07, 2016 10:31 am

(which I cannot understand what to do with)
Dezip it inside your RISC OS partition.
Also simple things like a shortcut to BBC Basic editor.
No need. Shift click on a Basic file to Edit it. Or open a new Basic file from Edit (or StrongEd, or Zap, or...)
USB pads
Works
or WiFi
Do not works (did).
to get to know RiscOS without having elementary issues.
We're here to help :D

Pyjamarama

Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:55 am

Thank you for your reply!

Can you explain to me the difference between update4.zip and HartDisk4.zip?

And another that everybody finds too obvious :(

I open Strong editor to write a BASIC program.

How do I run it? I save it with a specific extension?

Thank you!

SEDev

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:17 pm

Can you explain to me the difference between update4.zip and HartDisk4.zip?
update4.zip contains newer firmware files that are required to run RISC OS on the RPi3. HardDisc4.zip provides a disc image with !Boot and a number of useful programs. !Boot is needed to allow RISC OS to become fully functional.
I open Strong editor to write a BASIC program.

How do I run it? I save it with a specific extension?
RISC OS doesn't use filetype extensions, instead the filetype is stored as a 3-digit hex number in the file's metadata. For example, text files have filetype &FFF, BASIC files are &FFB, etc. (RISC OS uses the '&' for hexadecimal numbers).

If you click on the 'Save' icon on the StrongED toolbar the Save box opens. In it you'll see a writable icon for the file name and below that are writable icons, and a menu, to set the filetype.

For BASIC files you need to set the filetype to &FFB (if you created the file in BASIC mode then StrongED will have done this for you). When the filetype is set correctly, drag the icon to the directory where you want to save the file. Once the file is saved you can run it by double-clicking.

You can also run the file straight from StrongED using the 'Run' icon on the toolbar. A good way to explore RISC OS (and StrongED) is to use interactive help. The Help application should be available from the Apps icon on the iconbar.

Pyjamarama

Fri Oct 07, 2016 1:21 pm

Last question (I promise!)

How do I install the HardDisk4.zip?

Thanx!!

dfeugey

Fri Oct 07, 2016 3:53 pm

You decompress it on your disc, then you remove the old content in root directory and put the new one instead.

This is the beauty of RISC OS:
Install an application = copy it on disc.
Install the base OS = decompress a simple zip on disc.

Everything is included by default to make vector drawings, bitmaps, text and basic files.
Just click and run.

Return to “RISCOS”