Markodius

Accessing a Samba share from RISCOS

Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:40 pm

Hi,

I'd like to access a Samba over Raspbian share from RISCOS (which works just fine from Win7). Whenever I try to mount the share I get 'Access Denied' and sometimes 'cannot perform operation' from Omniclient. I'm guessed it might have something to do with password encryption (so I've probably been here before) but disabling password encryption did not seem to have any effect, still 'Access denied'. I think it is possible because I think I've done this before but how eludes me.. :oops: Any help for the Klingons?
“In the modern age, to call a man unelectable means he cannot be bought”

Markodius

Re: Accessing a Samba share from RISCOS

Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:09 pm

Well, never mind accessing a samba share, I thought I'd have a go at accessing a win7 share.. nah. After substituting the hostname with an IP address in the protocols/mount dialogue things got a little better and I can now mount the network share even though I reliably get 'Connection rejected by server' when I try to access it. I can access the share fine from another Win7 machine and I have enabled lower bitwidth encryptions on the Win7 server. [edit The Win7 'firewall' is off]

Should any of this be possible or am I being silly? :roll:

dfeugey

Mon Mar 07, 2016 7:04 am

If I remember well, there are two ways to share a resource under Windows 7. The default one (does not work with older OS, or RISC OS), and the advance sharing option, that works with RISC OS.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

Markodius

Mon Mar 07, 2016 11:00 pm

Thanks dfeugey, I'll try again.

Markodius

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:11 pm

Samba share now working. Think it was placing 'security = share' in the global section of smb.conf on the raspbian server that did the trick.

Did not get the Win 7 share to share correctly, but did find a page with easy to understand instruction - but that didn't work for me either.

[edit] Forget me blummin' 'ead next.. here is the link for Win 7 shares and RISC OS[/edit]

http://www.bapfish.org.uk/acorn/networking.html

dfeugey

Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:28 am

Hum... Did you check the firewall policies? With public networks (or even private ones), file sharing is often unavailable under Windows 7.

Markodius

Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:49 pm

Nope, I didn't check policies other than disabling the Win7 firewall and confirming the validity of the share from another Win7 loaded PC, so it should have been 'legs akimbo' for RISCOS.

Suspicion exists that the router may not be entirely RISCOS compatible :o Whenever IP is assigned by DHCP the connection does not last more than a few minutes and then RISCOS loses connectivity although the router continues to report it's attachment :? . Assigning a static IP at both ends seems to solve much of that, although I had to reboot RISCOS in order to access the share that was working yesterday, so maybe it takes longer for the connection to go flaky with static IP? I'll dig out an older 100mb router and see if things improve, if not I'll try another pi with RISC OS to see if it's the hardware or not, at some nebulous point in the future.. but for the moment I am happy that I have repeatable access to shares. That will make life so much easier when it comes to reloading the system for when I FUBAR it, because I almost certainly will :roll:

dfeugey

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:08 am

Yep, there is definitively something wrong here. With correct IP and mask, I have constant and reliable connection to Internet and Windows shares on all my RISC OS computers. RISC OS can also discover all my Windows shares (with correct workgroup name).

Do you use a classic RISC OS build or the Noob version?

Markodius

Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:56 pm

Yeah, nothing, other than a flake, could be that flakey :!: Pretty sure it's the current 'classic' build. The image was blown from a file called 'riscos-2015-02-17-RC14.img' which reports version 5.21. I can't remember checking the SHA total on that file so I'll do that before proceeding very far..

I found an older router and will see if the lease endures. I'll install that tomorrow when I can disable the radio on it because that plays merry hell with the radio-linked telly below me.

Thanks for helping dfeugey

Markodius

Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:33 pm

It does seem to have been incompatibility between the netgear router (VMDG480) and RISCOSpi that caused the poor connectivity - the older WNR834 reliably assigns the pi an IP address and maintains it as per normal. The share is still working! :D Thanks for holding my hand.

dfeugey

Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:34 pm

Good news :D

Return to “RISCOS”