stylx

Making a wifi bridge so risc os can work any where in house

Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:55 pm

okay you have old laptop/netbook laying house if it runs linux go to network connection and under the ethernet tab on Ipv4 setting
under method select ( shared to other computer ) save and apply it reboot
now just connect a ehernet cable from the pi to the laptop/note book.
now you should be able to use risco os any where in the house

DavidS

Re: Making a wifi bridge so risc os can work any where in ho

Mon Jan 18, 2016 3:49 am

Why not just use an extra Raspberry Pi B running a stripped down Linux system as the bridge? It seems much more cost effective to me.

Personally I just have Cat 5E cable strung to every room from my wired router (I do not use 802.11 [aka WiFi]), though have thought about using a bridge at locations other than home.
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

stylx

Mon Jan 18, 2016 4:30 am

For me it was cheaper to buy a second hand notebook £20 then use another pi + wifi dongle and power supply that comes nearer the £30 mark and a full mains wifi bridge is £35 and above,
but I bett most pi users have at least one laptop/netbook in the house that they can use as a bridge and it will cost then nothink to set up and use .plus they can use both computer at the same time and there some great tutorial on line and they can edit this forum for example and look up general information to me it make perfect sense plus the network socket on the pi will never run that fast as it coupled through the usb it slow

fanoush

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:19 am

There are also those mini 4g routers https://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/unbranded/a5-v11 on ebay for ~ 8USD. For extra points you can also flash them with openwrt but it is not needed for this, it can do such wifi to ethernet routing out of box.

dfeugey

Mon Jan 18, 2016 6:26 am

There are a lot of Wifi tu Ethernet bidges. For 3G/4G one simple solution is simply a 3G/4G key, as ComCentre supports them...
http://www.thomas-milius.privat.t-onlin ... /Computer/
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

LeoWhite

Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:38 pm

I've successfully used a Vonets Mini300 ethernet to WiFi Bridge under RISC OS before. Its relatively cheap from ebay, small and is powered via USB.

I did set it up on a non-RISC OS machine first (To connect to my WiFi Access Point), although the latest version of NetSurf or Otter browser may be able to access the config page.

Return to “RISCOS”