restomaguio

Raspberry Pi Model A+ hang-up using RISCOS

Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:55 pm

I am upgrading my robotics project from using RPi Rev. B to Rpi A+. Unfortunately while testing both the latest RPi 2 and A+, the RPi 2 completed the booting process and shows the desktop while the RPi Model A+ freezes searching for internet connection. I have 3 pieces of this A+ and I am so disappointed that it didn't work. Is there any solution for this kind of problem?I don't have wifi dongle.

dfeugey

Re: Raspberry Pi Model A+ hang-up using RISCOS

Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:30 pm

It does not hang: DHCP timeout is veeeryyyyyy long. A press on escape sould bypass it. Else, you have the solution to boot from the B to deactivate TCP/IP and then to boot again on the A+. Good luck.
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

restomaguio

Sat Jul 25, 2015 7:48 pm

dfeugey wrote:It does not hang: DHCP timeout is veeeryyyyyy long. A press on escape sould bypass it. Else, you have the solution to boot from the B to deactivate TCP/IP and then to boot again on the A+. Good luck.
Thanks for your reply but I tried the Esc key but it didn't work perhaps because I'm using an RF 2.4Ghz wireless keyboard which needs to be initialized. I don't have a USB keyboard to try. Also my RPis are not connected on a network by any way.

dfeugey

Sun Jul 26, 2015 8:36 am

OK, I see. So the only solution is to:
1/ wait and prey :D
2/ stop the TCP/IP stack (in Configure) from your old Pi model B.

restomaguio

Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:58 pm

Merci beaucoup!
Finally it works, didn't realized that I need to go back to basics. Reconfigured the microSD on my Rev. B by disabling the network connection (TCP/IP) and inserted it back on A+. But I found another problem, the mini wireless keyboard (same size as DVD Remote Control) I'm using didn't work on A+ but works fine on Rev B and RPi 2, was able to confirm this by using the standard size Genius keyboard despite bought are using 2.4GHz RF. Perhaps ESC key will work now using the standard size Genius keyboard even without the need of disabling the TCP/IP or internet connection. Will try this later on.

Cheers,

Rolly Estomaguio

dfeugey

Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:48 pm

You use the same PSU on all Pï? I would say that you haven't enough power for the dongle...

restomaguio

Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:39 pm

Yes. It's a 1 Amp Smartphone charger. It works fine on RPi 2 and Rev B. I enable again the TCP/IP on A+ and it functions very well now with the standard size keyboard. I was thinking that the A+ identify the mini wireless keyboard receiver as wi-fi dongle or the current level in USB port is not enough for initialization of the mini-wireless receiver but sufficient for the receiver of the standard size keyboard.

dfeugey

Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:27 am

A wireless keyboard is seen as a standard one. The dongle is 'invisible' from the OS. So it's probably more a power issue... The Raspberry Pi is sometimes very strange with USB :D

restomaguio

Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:00 pm

I played around so much with the Rev B (made in China and UK) for more than one year now. This RPi had endured severe torture, the one I used for my robotic car/vacuum cleaner. It is powered by Ni/Cd batteries through a 5 Volts regulator (7805). Actually I connected the 5 Volts supply directly on the electrolytic capacitor bypassing the fuse.Only one GPIO in header P1 remain not utilized. Amazingly, despite numerous modifications, both made in UK and China (not promoting this one) exhibited reliability and durability. So, I wondered what is wrong with the A+. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI7Dq-u-p8o.

Cheers!

Rolly

dfeugey

Tue Jul 28, 2015 5:57 am

Probably just power. B and B+ have an integrated hub. Perhaps that it can provide 510 mA by port then the main USB port of the A and A+ provides only 500 mA? If your keyboard works with a powered hub, you 'll have the answer.

fladda

Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:45 am

See other threads on this very forum, e.g.:

USB devices not working on Model A+

viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96391

This does not look like a RISC OS issue. Issue appears to be due to the difference in the hardware between the RPi B(+) and the A+, and lots of different issues with cheapo USB devices. Lots of reading about this topic on this forum, and elsewhere.

Ralph

restomaguio

Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:52 pm

Just another comparison, both my mini and standard size keyboard works on my Asus laptop running Windows 8.1. So, if it works both on Rev B and RPi 2 and not on A+ then A+ USB could be problematic for some USB devices. We still don't have a definitive answer and perhaps Ben Upton has an answer or the designer of A+.

restomaguio

Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:12 pm

Thanks Fladda.

I checked this link (view ... 28&t=96391) and now I know that my issue on A+ is very common.
Well, I'll just get use to it despite it is cumbersome to use a big keyboard while testing my robot outside our building or will just keep the Rev. B on the control box since RPi 2 will not fit inside.

Return to “RISCOS”