Skypilot617

Filetypes

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:11 pm

I'm trying to move my Risc OS set up from Virtual Acorn on a PC to a Raspberry Pi2

I have Risc OS running perfectly from the SD card and now I'm trying to add in my HardDisc4 on a USB stick.

I can access the files OK but all the filetypes are messed up (eg !Boot,feb / !Run,feb / !Sprites,ff9) so nothing will run.

I could correct these all manually, but is there a better way of doing this?

Steve Drain

Re: Filetypes

Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:36 pm

I raised a similar problem on the ROOL forum a while back and I think there is no way to do it that way. You are seeing the Windows files in FatFS on the Pi without any of the translation that VRPC does.

Here are two alternatives.

The first is easiest, and that is to transfer the files using ShareFS. I think I remember that it is quickest to pull files. If I have got this right, you do not need a network, just a CAT5 cable between the machines. The Pi certainly deals with polarity.

The other is to put the files in an image filing system. The obvious one is a zip file, but beware that putting a lot of files in a zip with SparkFS gets very slow, so InfoZip is a better option. Extraction is not affected. If you do not want zips you could use X-Files or TabFS, for example.

Remember backups. ;-)

Burngate

Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:53 am

Steve Drain wrote:... but beware that putting a lot of files in a zip with SparkFS gets very slow, ...
If it helps, creating the zip file in RAMfs is quicker.
As far as I can see, for every file that's added to the zip, it gets re-written from scratch. That means an awful lot of disc accesses even for small files (which is what most apps are full of)

DavidS

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:28 am

On your PC in RISC OS, use infozip for RISC OS to create a ZIP file of everything, copy that ZIP file over to a device to access from the RPi, and extract on the RPi (using SparkFS or InfoZIP).
RPi = Way for me to have fun and save power.
100% Off Grid.
Household TTL Electricity Usage = 1.4KW/h per day.
500W Solar System, produces 2.8KW/h per day average.

Return to “RISCOS”