dslmeo

DOSBOX

Sat Apr 04, 2015 8:26 am

I have tried several times to get dosbox to work in Risc OS. I have installed it with Packman and I'm trying to get an old pinball game to work. I can mount C with the path to the game but when I issue the command to start the game (I've tried various commands like: PINBALL (works in raspbian) PINBALL.EXE and soforth) but I just get an error message like this "Illegal command" and that's it. I would be very grateful if I could get some help to make it work otherwise I might try to compile fastdosbox for Risc OS since I have the tools for it (I bought the Nutpi SD and have most of the contents installed or at least ready for installation). Thanks beforehand!

Kind Regards from Sweden,
Mats
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

DavidS

Re: DOSBOX

Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:35 pm

dslmeo wrote:I have tried several times to get dosbox to work in Risc OS. I have installed it with Packman and I'm trying to get an old pinball game to work. I can mount C with the path to the game but when I issue the command to start the game (I've tried various commands like: PINBALL (works in raspbian) PINBALL.EXE and soforth) but I just get an error message like this "Illegal command" and that's it. I would be very grateful if I could get some help to make it work otherwise I might try to compile fastdosbox for Risc OS since I have the tools for it (I bought the Nutpi SD and have most of the contents installed or at least ready for installation). Thanks beforehand!

Kind Regards from Sweden,
Mats
I assume that you are issuing the commands from the DOS prompt in DOSBox.

As such I ask:
Did you copy any autoexec.bat commands that the game created during in install to the autoexec section of the dosbox.conf that you use?

Are you sure that you are in the correct directory when you type "PINBALL" at the DOS Command prompt?
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM computer, that runs many Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, Pi64, CP/M as well as many more.
Soon to add AROS to the list of operating systems.

dslmeo

Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:33 am

Hi DavidS!
Sorry for the delay in my response to your questions and thank you for the input. I just went the easy way that I've done on other computers (e.g. OS'es). In this case I installed dosbox using packman. After that I just created a directory in the root of the SD card. Unzipping the game and copying all the files into a second directory to keep track of possible other programs. So the path to the game looks like this: SDFS::RISCOSpi.$.GAMES.PINBALL. I manage to mount it as if it was on the C harddrive in DOS and then I change to the virtual C harddrive. Up to this everything works OK but when I issue the command PINBALL I get an error message saying: Illegal command (followed by the actual command). I've tried various commands but the result remains the same. So at this point I'm stuck. If I'm doing anything wrong I would greatly appreciate to be corrected. I've tried fastdosbox for Risc OS also but the story is just repeating itself. I get stuck starting the game.
Regards,
Mats
"All that is very well," answered Candide, "but let us cultivate our garden." - Francois-Marie Arouet Voltaire

dfeugey

Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:59 pm

> I installed dosbox using packman

That's where is the mistake.
Use this one: http://gaming.capsule-sa.co.za/?gamepre ... nd-risc-os
Nota: a fresh port with Win98 patches, latest version of JIT engine and network support would be great :)
RISC OS FR - All RISC OS, in french (but not only)
http://www.riscos.fr/

DavidS

Thu Apr 09, 2015 2:26 am

Yes a good port would be great. Though so far there is no real networking on any veriant (there is a minimal IPX driver, though most DOS stuff uses TCP/IP making that useless, and most DOS stuff requires a packet driver on interrupt 60H).

Are you sure that Pinball is the name of the EXE?

And I did not know there was a version of DOSBox in Packman, go to the No-RISC No-FUN sight and get fast DOSBox for RISC OS.
The Raspberry Pi is an ARM computer, that runs many Operating Systems, including Linux, RISC OS, BSD, Pi64, CP/M as well as many more.
Soon to add AROS to the list of operating systems.

dslmeo

Thu Apr 09, 2015 6:45 am

Hi guys!

I finally got it working! It was easier than I thought. Has to be mounted like other versions (Windows for example). This way works on dosbox from packman and fastdosbox (e.g. not so fast on Risc OS): "Z:>MOUNT C /GAMES/PINBALL" then press enter; "Z:>C:" and click enter; "Z:>PINBALL" + enter and the game starts. The game works but kind of in slow motion so I'll try to see if something can be made to address that problem. ;)

Regards,
Mats

Return to “RISCOS”