DaveW75

Anyone making games with RISC OS on the RPi?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:20 pm

Is anyone actually making any games for RISC OS Pi? My RPi2 is due to arrive in the next few days, and the only reason I bought it is to make some simple games with it purely as a hobby thing, but I'd hate to be the only one doing it! I had assumed that the arrival of RISC OS on the RPi would result in a flurry of game-making activity, but this doesn't appear to be the case (indeed, so far I'd say the 'scene' looks completely dead).

Anyone working on any game/demo-y projects, then?

David.

http://www.proggies.uk

DavidS

Re: Anyone making games with RISC OS on the RPi?

Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:03 pm

DaveW75 wrote:Is anyone actually making any games for RISC OS Pi? My RPi2 is due to arrive in the next few days, and the only reason I bought it is to make some simple games with it purely as a hobby thing, but I'd hate to be the only one doing it! I had assumed that the arrival of RISC OS on the RPi would result in a flurry of game-making activity, but this doesn't appear to be the case (indeed, so far I'd say the 'scene' looks completely dead).

Anyone working on any game/demo-y projects, then?

David.

I know that there are a few new projects out there using the RPi and RISC OS, for Games.

Sorry I can not point you at them, as I like the oldies. When I see the news I usually just think kool, and go on.

Just keep an eye on the various RISC OS news sites and you will see them.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DaveW75

Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:28 pm

Having just browsed most of the RISC OS-related forums, it really does look as if game-making on the platform is practically dead. Apart from the dwindling numbers of active RISC OS users, perhaps there's a sense that past games from nearly two decades ago can't really be bettered.

I may have a go at a sideways scroller, but I can state in advance that it won't be as good as Nevyron (the very first Arc game I bought way back in 1992), or the awesome Scorpius.

David.
--

Fidelius

Thu Mar 19, 2015 3:01 pm

DaveW75 wrote:or the awesome Scorpius.
Loved that (game demo), too.

Here's a part of an interview in English with one of the two Irish Scorpius programmers : http://pixelor.de/scorpius-acorn-archimedes/
(Just scroll down to the section "Gekürzter Chatlog vom 30.04.2013 über Scorpius")

anthonybartram

Wed Apr 29, 2015 11:08 pm

Yes.

I've written a game on my Raspberry Pi 1 called "Overlord" which is now available for download in the PlingStore and is priced at £9.99.

Overlord was officially launched at the 2015 Wakefield Show.

This is a 2.5D/3D game in the style of Gyrus/Tempest featuring 47 minutes of original music.

The game source code is included in the download (!RunImage is not compiled or protected) and the license encourages production of new games i.e. Overlord can be used a reference implementation and the code may be used in derivative works

Please note the following hints which I have reproduced from the Game cover:

- Hold mouse down for continuous fire
- Use right mouse button to halt the motion of the ship.
- Special mission objects (e.g. worm holes) move slower than aliens and - may “shimmer” in order to attract your attention.
- Power-ups are labelled ‘P’
- Save or build up shield energy for the final battles with the Overlords.

www.amcog-games.co.uk

Anthony Vaughan Bartram​

DaveW75

Thu Apr 30, 2015 12:18 pm

Anthony, congrats on the public release of Overlord -- downloaded my copy this morning. Will give it a more serious play later today (not currently able to enjoy any audio output from my RPi 2 because it's not configured correctly, and may have something to do with the fact I'm using a HDMI-to-VGA adapter -- so at the moment it's a soundless experience!).

The game runs nice & slick on my RPi 2.

David.
---

anthonybartram

Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:06 pm

Thanks David.

Glad it runs smoothly. Which MicroSD card are you using? I think mine is a bit slow.

My next project is planned to be a puzzle/strategy/adventure game. I've written an unpublished fantasy novel which might _possibly_ work as the basis of a game...

DaveW75

Sun May 10, 2015 10:55 am

Well, I've completed the 9 missions (albeit in 'Beginner' mode). :)

The MicroSD card I'm using (on which RISC OS 5.21 is currently installed) is a 4GB SanDisk HC Class 2. I assume it's a genuine one!

On a technical point, did you find that using blanking/erasing sprites was faster than simply clearing the screen each frame? At 800x600x8bpp on a Raspberry Pi 2, I get around 920 screen clears per second with BASIC's CLS command (approx. 15 screen clears per VBL frame period - so plenty of spare CPU bandwidth per frame to play with!). I'm just thinking that the use of erasing sprites, what with the extra interpretation involved, probably entails many, many thousands of ARM instructions, and many more main memory reads if your erasing sprite isn't cached. Also, factor in that the blanking sprites themselves are being scaled (and/or rotated) via slow OS_SpriteOp calls. Incidentally, your program crunches without problems with !StrongBS, and there will be a performance boost that may be of benefit to those with slower ARM-based machines. StrongBS doesn't merely crunch, it does a fair amount of optimisation as well. So it may be worthwhile having the !Overlord application running the crunched version (for improved performance where needed), but also still including the uncrunched version that you've generously provided.

Now, it's time for 'Master' mode. :)

Looking forward to your forthcoming game projects...

David.
--
Last edited by DaveW75 on Mon May 11, 2015 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

anthonybartram

Sun May 10, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi David,
Thanks. I'll check out that micro SD card.

Glad to hear you're enjoying the game.

In future projects I've been thinking about including a crunched version. But the time spent QAing and betaing the uncrunched code was a bit high for me to take the risk of distributing a crunched version post beta ( it was not something on radar initially...). Also debugging field issues scares me a bit. So I'll make sure I beta test crunched versions...

Regarding not just erasing the screen, then yes on older hardware, I believe its a faster with only erasing the part of the screen that changed. I found there was visible jitter on the Raspberry Pi 1 when simply blanking the screen and performance dropped below 60hz. It seems on the slower machines, Pi 1 and Iyonix, the biggest performance drag is blitting large objects to the screen. The Iyonix seems visibly slower with whole screen operations.

I think I can get something like 20'000 draws of a sprite to the screen of about 64x64 pixels in 256 colour in a second on a Raspberry PI 1. Performance drops proportional to sprite size and colour depth. I've not watched to see if it gets worse with a cache misses.

In any case it was something that I was less sure of until I ran the code on some slight old, dusty and frankly unstable pieces of kit. However, still wonder whether I'm right about this and whether I've tested my assumptions properly...

That said on my next game I will likely be re-drawing the whole screen every time every frame. I think in that case, I will likely not support the Iyonix...

-------

I've played bugs and checked out some of your demos. The Lander style landscape is cool.

Are you going to try a sideways scroller? I think this was mentioned early on this thread..I did play around with the soft scroll VDU call drawing rough 2D rocks along the bottom. Not sure if its of use however. If so I can e-mail it to you.

Best Regards,

Tony

DaveW75

Mon May 11, 2015 8:09 am

anthonybartram wrote:I'll check out that micro SD card.
I suspect you'll probably want a Class 6 or 10. (I believe there were compatibility issues with Class 10's, but I think that's been resolved now - although best to check/Google it beforehand.)
anthonybartram wrote:In future projects I've been thinking about including a crunched version. But the time spent QAing and betaing the uncrunched code was a bit high for me to take the risk of distributing a crunched version post beta ( it was not something on radar initially...). Also debugging field issues scares me a bit.
Yes, quite understand. The only reason I crunch my programs (invariably with StrongBS) is because of the sometimes quite significant increase in performance. It can sometimes make the difference between an animation running at 30 fps or 60 fps. How I wish StrongBS was updated and bug-fixed - otherwise it'd be a fine tool. (Incidentally, one minor optimisation that StrongBS doesn't perform is converting hexadecimal constants to their decimal equivalents; ARM BBC BASIC seems to process the latter faster, in contrast to BBC BASIC for Windows which usually processes hex constants faster.)
I found there was visible jitter on the Raspberry Pi 1 when simply blanking the screen and performance dropped below 60hz.
I'm a bit surprised about the RPi 1; I thought (or read somewhere) that it was only about 20% slower than the RPi 2 (for RISC OS users). That said, the RPi 2, apart from a faster & higher clocked CPU (with larger L1 cache), also has significantly faster memory access. Personally, rightly or wrongly, I treat the RPi 2 as my 'minimum spec' machine, although I guess it really ought to be the RPi 1 (one of which I intend to acquire in the coming months).
It seems on the slower machines, Pi 1 and Iyonix, the biggest performance drag is blitting large objects to the screen. The Iyonix seems visibly slower with whole screen operations.
Just thinking aloud: the RiscPC must have been a lot of fun with its 16 MHz memory bus...

That said on my next game I will likely be re-drawing the whole screen every time every frame. I think in that case, I will likely not support the Iyonix...
Perhaps some custom screen-clearing code would help matters as far as the Iyonix is concerned (not helpful if you want to keep things 100% BASIC).

-------
I've played bugs and checked out some of your demos. The Lander style landscape is cool.
Bugs was just to get me back into ARM code. :)

That Lander thing was pretty much adapted from a BB4W program which in turn was originally written in ARM assembler in 1995 (back in my kebab-fuelled, bedsit dayz). I never did develop it into a game...

Are you going to try a sideways scroller?
I'd certainly like to, but lack of time is the problem for me at the moment (and I suspect it's going to get worse over the coming months).
I did play around with the soft scroll VDU call drawing rough 2D rocks along the bottom. Not sure if its of use however. If so I can e-mail it to you.
I think one way I'd approach it (if writing the game in BBC BASIC), and the way Jeroen Groendaal did it with his excellent Vapiki game, is to create (or load-in) a very long background sprite (say, 50*640 by 480) and plot in one fell swoop with a OS_SpriteOp call. That would be a pretty fast way of drawing a complex background (much faster of course than drawing tiles which how it usually tends to be done). I guess if you want a multi-layered background (e.g. for parallax scrolling) or an overlaid foreground then you might (if using purely BASIC & SpriteOp) be pretty much forced to plot masked sprites (unless you want entirely solid blocks), which can be frustratingly slow with SpriteOp, as you'll know already.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen a sideways-scrolling shoot-'em-up written in BBC BASIC before. Perhaps some exist, but haven't seen any.

It could be a first? :)

David.
--

anthonybartram

Tue Jul 07, 2015 9:26 pm

Overlord V1.40

Overlord has been updated and now includes:
  • A mouse sensitivity slider.
  • A new (blue) ‘duel fire’ power-up.
  • Improved distribution of mission objects.
This update is free for existing users and is available through the PlingStore. If you bought a CD at Wakefield or the ROUGOL presentation, then the PlingStore code in the CD box may be used to download version 1.40.

basicprogrammer

Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:59 am

Last year for a school ICT project I wrote a game for raspberry pi RISCOS in BBC BASIC V. Gameplay / rules and system requirements + extensive help has been documented. The game is called BLOCKBUILD and simulates a 2D world in which the player can dig for resources and manipulate the game world a bit like minecraft. If anyone is interested in a copy, email me: noobtube1234321@gmail.com and give me your email address and I will send you a free copy of the game folder. The folder must first be decompressed in windows (extract zipped folder) and then copied directly into the SD card on RISCOS on the raspberry pi.
If you have any questions or problems on this subject please email me and I'll be happy to help.

Thanks.

anthonybartram

Fri Apr 22, 2016 11:27 pm

I'm now up to my third game on RISC OS. At the Wakefield show 2016, there was a video made of my stand and games, visible here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg9hm1oEif8

My site is www.amcog-games.co.uk and the games are available via the PlingStore (www.plingstore.org.uk)

Return to “RISCOS”