thradtke

RISC OS on a pen drive

Tue Mar 10, 2015 9:20 am

Hi,

I'm mainly using Raspbian on a USB HDD, but would like to have RISC OS as a second option. My setup (as a matter of fact, not deliberately) enumerates the HDD after pen drives I attach to my USB hub, i.e., when a pen drive is inserted, the Pi2 tries to find its OS there. Is there any chance to get RISC OS started this way? Or do I have to go the Noobs way somehow?

TIA,

Thomas
Rocket Scientist.

DavidS

Re: RISC OS on a pen drive

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:20 am

I do not think so from NOOBS.

Though boot into RISC OS (using the normal SD Card of RISC OS, NOT NOOBS). Use !HForm to format the USB drive you want to boot from, copy everything from the SD Card to the newly formated drive, then:

Press [F12]
Type "Configure FileSystem SCSI" (with out the quotes) and press [Return].
Type "Configure Boot" (without the quotes) and press [Return].
Press [Return].
Middle click on the RPi Icon in the bottom left, and select "Shutdown".
After shutdown completes, click on "Restart".

And RISC OS will run from the USB drive you installed it to.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

thradtke

Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:31 pm

With the RISC OS SD-card inserted it's waiting for the boot drive to be ready ... forever. Doesn't matter, but with the Raspbian-card it panics :lol:

Ok, I guess this isn't going to work. RISC OS has a special boot code.

Thanks anyway :)
Rocket Scientist.

DavidS

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:06 pm

thradtke wrote:With the RISC OS SD-card inserted it's waiting for the boot drive to be ready ... forever. Doesn't matter, but with the Raspbian-card it panics :lol:

Ok, I guess this isn't going to work. RISC OS has a special boot code.

Thanks anyway :)
Did you follow the directions I gave above?

I am runing from a 16GB thumb drive right now, and in RISC OS. So yes it does work, it is how I run it.

Also did you make sure you formated the correct drive? RISC OS will only boot from a FileCore filesystem.
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:08 pm

Also you must leave the contents of Loader image dirrectory inside of the !Boot dirrectory on the SD Card, so if you deleted that it will not work (that is the only thing that has to be left on the SD Card).

thradtke

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:35 am

Yes, I formatted the correct drive and copied the complete content by drag & drop.

I had no flash drive at hand and used a 6GB ArcDisk (1in HDD) instead. Maybe that's the problem?
Rocket Scientist.

thradtke

Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:38 am

DavidS wrote:Also you must leave the contents of Loader image dirrectory inside of the !Boot dirrectory on the SD Card, so if you deleted that it will not work (that is the only thing that has to be left on the SD Card).
Actually, I removed nothing from the card. The loader starts as I see the RISCOS screen and the terminal.
Rocket Scientist.

DavidS

Sat Mar 14, 2015 12:12 pm

thradtke wrote:Yes, I formatted the correct drive and copied the complete content by drag & drop.

I had no flash drive at hand and used a 6GB ArcDisk (1in HDD) instead. Maybe that's the problem?
Not familiar with a "ArcDisk", though that could be the trouble. I have used a 512GB IDE HDD with a USB to IDE adaptor before so it is posible to use an HDD (went to a flash drive to save electricity).

Return to “RISCOS”