jdonald

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Mon Sep 30, 2019 2:11 pm

sakaki wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 12:33 pm
is there a squashed patchset for these mesa changes around?
Running this comparison: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/chema/me ... v3d-gles31

says it's 11000+ commits and 200000+ lines, unlikely it could be applied to mainline without conflicts. I think you could instead get the ebuild to check out from the fork, but then you risk regressions due to missing out on stuff from Mesa upstream.

In the meantime bomblord and others aren't really blocked. They can run the Mesa binary I uploaded with the appropriate LD_LIBRARY_PATH=... LIBGL_DRIVERS_PATH=... setting.

Gavinmc42

Re: Updated 64-bit Gentoo Image for RPi3 Released (now also for RPi3B+ and RPi4B)

Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:48 am

Or just wait until kernel 5.4 is released?
Er, or wait until Sakaki can build -rc1 :lol:
Apparently kernel compiles don't take much time these days?
For someone who knows how :oops:

If even the RPF guys are saying they are watching it closely then it must be a good one.
That with mesa 19.3 should be very usable.
nir/spirv: import OpenCL.std.h
Is OpenCL getting closer?
v3d: Drop the VG support from the XML.
This reflects a change on the HW/closed SW side to drop this unused HW.
With it dropped on their side, the CLIF parser no longer expects to find
VG fields.
I like my OpenVG :(
I am very sad for poor unused Hardware.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

sakaki

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:29 am

Hello,

If you are running the 'lite' version of the gentoo-on-rpi-64bit bootable image, which by default boots to a CLI, it is still pretty easy to set up a simple X11 desktop environment. In fact, since the 'lite' image uses the same custom profile (and hence USE flags etc.) as the 'full' version does, you'll find that the packages you need to install are mostly already available (in compiled form) on the project's binhost. You should also find that RPi-specific features (such as VC4/V3D acceleration) 'just work', without further configuration.

I've posted a wiki entry covering the basic approach here.

Excluding any genup step, it takes about 15mins from first CLI-only login, to bring up a simple openbox / X11 desktop on an RPi4.

Screenshot (not as pretty as the 'full' variant's Xfce4 obviously, but it could easily be tweaked, as it is openbox):

The instructions in the wiki entry can easily be adapted to install any similar lightweight window manager.

Best, sakaki

cjan

Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 am

do we have last wayland/sway in binhost?

BRX7

Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 am

Hello,

I am trying to install transmission-cli
but it doesnt exist in the repository, do I need to unmask it? or is not visible for a reason, other transmission files are installed

thanks

sakaki

Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:52 pm

BRX7 wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 11:27 am
Hello,

I am trying to install transmission-cli
but it doesnt exist in the repository, do I need to unmask it? or is not visible for a reason, other transmission files are installed

thanks
You can use net-p2p/transmission-remote-cli if you like ("eix transmission" will search for available packages). This is not yet keyworded for arm64 (i.e., no Gentoo dev has formally marked the package as working on arm64, which you can see from the eix output), so, you need to add an exception to allow emerge to try building it. To do so, issue:

Code: Select all

pi64 ~ # nano -w /etc/portage/package.accept_keywords/transmission-remote-cli
and put in that file:

net-p2p/transmission-remote-cli * ~*
This means to accept as a build candidate for this package, any version that has been marked as stable (the "*") or testing (the "~*") on any architecture (including amd64 etc.).

Save, and exit nano. Then emerge it, won't take long:

pi64 ~ # emerge -v net-p2p/transmission-remote-cli
Once done, start your local transmission-daemon:

pi64 ~ # rc-service transmission-daemon start
Then, as e.g. demouser, connect:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ transmission-remote-cli
If you want the daemon to start automatically each boot:

pi64 ~ # rc-update add transmission-daemon default
And to cancel this again:

pi64 ~ # rc-update del transmission-daemon default
The accept_keyword approach works for many packages (which build and run just fine on arm64, but just haven't been signed off by a Gentoo dev, yet).

hth, sakaki

sakaki

Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:01 pm

cjan wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 7:32 am
do we have last wayland/sway in binhost?
I have both working locally, but I need to cut over to using binpkg-multi-instance for the binhost. Was half way through doing so when the Pi4 came out ><

Best, sakaki

Gavinmc42

Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:22 pm

Got the lite x11 openbox version sort of working, no CornflowerBlue background.
I emerge mc -Midnight Commander first, easier then to moved around the file system and edit files.

But the link has some Wayland instructions with Gnome3.
How much of it is close enough to Gentoo64 to get Wayland working?

This could be fun to play around with my own accelerated GUI :D

Thanks again Sakaki.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:23 pm

Hello,

If you'd like to install and run precompiled Flatpak apps on your Gentoo RPi4 (or RPi3), please see my new wiki entry here.

Once set up as described therein, you can choose from a wide catalogue of prebuilt aarch64 and arm (32-bit) packages.

For example, install Midori:

Then run it:

Flatpak apps come with all dependencies bundled, don't require root priviliges to install or run, are isolated from potentially conflicting package versions in the main host OS, and provide a degree of user-configurable sandboxing.

Do consider however the security concerns that exist around this technology, before jumping in.

Best, sakaki

geev03

Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:40 pm

sakaki wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:23 pm
Hello,

If you'd like to install and run precompiled Flatpak apps on your Gentoo RPi4 (or RPi3), please see my new wiki entry here.

Once set up as described therein, you can choose from a wide catalogue of prebuilt aarch64 and arm (32-bit) packages.

Flatpak apps come with all dependencies bundled, don't require root priviliges to install or run, are isolated from potentially conflicting package versions in the main host OS, and provide a degree of user-configurable sandboxing.

Do consider however the security concerns that exist around this technology, before jumping in.

Best, sakaki
'Flatpak GeoGebra' is not opening up.... and 'ebuild GeoGebra' has 'mask problem' ... Is there any work around available to use the newer (than the Raspbian Buster package) GeoGebra?

!!! All ebuilds that could satisfy "dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin[javafx]" have been masked.
!!! One of the following masked packages is required to complete your request:
- dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-11.0.2::gentoo (masked by: Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE license(s), missing keyword)
A copy of the 'Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE' license is located at '/usr/portage/licenses/Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE'.

- dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-1.8.0.202::gentoo (masked by: Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE license(s))

(dependency required by "sci-mathematics/geogebra-5.0.339.0_p20170308-r1::gentoo" [ebuild])
Attachments
GeoGebra_gentoo_ Flatpak_emerge_failure.jpg
GeoGebra_gentoo_ Flatpak_emerge_failure.jpg (138.85 KiB) Viewed 2783 times

sakaki

Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:26 pm

geev03 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:40 pm
'Flatpak GeoGebra' is not opening up....
I assume GeoGebra actually needs the Oracle JRE (or JDK) installed to run, although its package doesn't seem to check / note that. It's unusual; most of the things I tried installing from the Flathub catalogue went without a hitch.

Trying to run it from the command line gives:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ flatpak run org.gegebra.GeoGebra
/app/bin/geogebra: line 2: /app/extra/geogebra/GeoGebra: No such file or directory
So definitely something wrong in there (again, this doesn't happen for any other Flatpak package I tried).

As to the Gentoo ebuild for GeoGebra, this currently has a hard dep on Oracle JRE/JDK:

# Requires oracle-jdk/jre-bin because there is no openjfx ebuild as of now
RDEPEND="|| (
		dev-java/oracle-jre-bin[javafx]
		dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin[javafx]
	)"
Only dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin-1.8.0.202 is currently keyworded for arm64, and you need to accept a non-free license to try installing it (hence the mask). To do do, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo nano -w /etc/portage/package.licenses/oracle-jdk-bin
and place in that file

dev-java/oracle-jdk-bin Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE
Save, and exit nano. (You can view the license at /usr/portage/licenses/Oracle-BCLA-JavaSE).

However, the upstream tarball the ebuild then tries to download, seems missing on the Oracle site. There is a newer version, but it requires a login to Oracle etc. to access.

So, I don't think this will work at the moment, sorry. If you are willing to sign up, then download the relevant 64-bit Java JDK from Oracle and install it, please let me know how it goes!

Best, sakaki

bomblord

Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:59 pm

Is there a simple way to swap to a gui-less environment without a complete re-installation?

sakaki

Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:26 am

bomblord wrote:
Is there a simple way to swap to a gui-less environment without a complete re-installation?
Yes -

If you simply wish to have a command-line interface, without removing any packages, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo rc-update del xdm default 
and reboot. You'll come up in a CLI.

To undo the above, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo rc-update add xdm default 
and reboot. You'll come back up in the standard GUI.

If you'd like to remove any non-essential, GUI-related packages too then please see my notes here.

Hth, sakaki

bomblord

Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:26 am

sakaki wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:26 am
bomblord wrote:
Yes -

If you simply wish to have a command-line interface, without removing any packages, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo rc-update del xdm default 
and reboot. You'll come up in a CLI.

To undo the above, issue:

demouser@pi64 ~ $ sudo rc-update add xdm default 
and reboot. You'll come back up in the standard GUI.

If you'd like to remove any non-essential, GUI-related packages too then please see my notes here.

Hth, sakaki
Beautiful, I sincerely appreciate it.

BRX7

Fri Oct 18, 2019 3:47 pm

HI Sakaki,

I have a question regarding kernel upgrading on gentoopi64,,

I have this kernel installed after running genup (18/10/19)
Linux pi64 4.19.76-v8-da7190d00893-p4-bis+ #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Oct 8 14:00:00 GMT 2019 aarch64 GNU/Linux

what is the difference between the above and the following

https://github.com/sakaki-/bcm2711-kernel/releases
&
https://github.com/sakaki-/bcm2711-kernel-bis/releases

as both have a newer build which was not present during genup

sakaki

Fri Oct 18, 2019 4:57 pm

BRX7,

although the kernels are auto-built weekly, the gentoo-on-rpi-64bit project's custom profile masks all but certain tested versions (see e.g. this file and this one), preventing them from being installed. That's because upgrading to a non-booting kernel would be a major inconvenience ^-^

However, if you'd like to always install the most recent -bis kernel during a genup, you can override these masks locally easily enough. To do so, edit (as root, or using sudo) the file /etc/portage/package.unmask/kernels (the filename isn't important, only the directory) and put in it the following:

sys-kernel/bcm2711-kernel-bis-bin
sys-kernel/bcmrpi3-kernel-bis-bin
and save. That's it! From now on genup will upgrade your kernel to the latest available. To revert back to only using tested versions, delete this file, and run genup again.

You can read more about Gentoo's masks etc. in my notes here.

hth, sakaki

ronmon

Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 am

First post, mainly to say thank you for your excellent work. I just upgraded my RPi3B+ to a RPi4B (4GB) and really wanted go 64 bit while avoiding Raspbian if at all possible. When I found this project it caught my interest immediately.

I ran Gentoo for a long time before switching to Arch back in 2011 because having to compile every package got to be too much of a burden. Other than that, I liked it a lot. Also, I moved to XFCE back when GNOME went from 1.4 to 2.0 and screwed everything up. It's what I use on my desktop and laptop. Though I can't find the reference right now, I believe I read that there will be pre-compiled package updates on a regular basis and that was what really sold me.

So I downloaded it and stuck it on a 128GB SanDisk A1 SD card I had lying around and fired that puppy up. All I can say is WOW! It's all I hoped for and then some. Now I'm going to have to brush up on my Gentoo skills and I'll be all set, though I did already manage to emerge synergy (a must have for my setup).

Now for one quick question. I run my Pi on the third monitor of my desktop setup. It only has two HDMI ports and I also have a Windows 10 "brick" computer (~5"x5"x2") that I rarely use to play poker and connects to the same monitor. Because of that I use a HDMI switch to flip between the Pi and the brick while the desktop has its own port. With the Pi3B+ it worked just fine, but with the Pi4B the monitor would not recognize it until I took the switch out of the loop (it could still see the brick).

Changing from one output port on the Pi to the other made no difference. I also have a 3 port HDMI switch that I tried and it did not work either. The kit I bought from Amazon came with a pigtail mini-HDMI to HDMI adapter that I suppose could be the problem. Maybe I could try a mini-HDMI to HDMI cable or a non-pigtail type adapter. Or maybe I will have to put my desktop and the brick on the switch (just thought of that, haven't tried it yet). Any suggestions are welcome.

And again, thanks very much for the great work you have done on this project.

Gavinmc42

Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:26 am

Welcome to Gentoo64.
Nice to know synergy works.
So much just works now.
That 128GB card will be half filled in a week, mine was :D

You could try RDP/VNC the Win10 box.
This Gentoo64 defaults to 4 desktops and if you have two screens that's like 8 desktops :D

HDMI switches can be a bit picky in my limited experience.
Not sure if messing with the HDMI power settings in config.txt will help, but could be worth a shot.
The Gentoo64 HDMI settings might not be the same as Buster's.

I get HDMI adapters for abut $2.80, no problems with the 5 I have used so far, but for two screens I use the official micro to HDMI cables.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

ronmon

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have ordered a micro-HDMI to HDMI cable that should be here tomorrow. If that doesn't do the trick I'll try the config_hdmi_boost setting next and then whatever else it takes.

So far it is running well and looking great. Now I need to hit the Gentoo HOWTO's and wikis and get it tweaked to my liking. It should be fun.

sakaki

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:43 pm

ronmon,

thanks for the nice feedback, glad you're finding the image useful so far ^-^

As Gavinmc42 suggests, you could try increasing the HDMI signal level. You can do this by editing /boot/config.txt directly (relevant options here), or, perhaps easier, use the bundled pyconfig_gen tool. This may be accessed via Applications -> Settings -> RPi Config Tool. Screenshot:

The "Display" tab controls HDMI0 (the port nearer the USB-C power connector), and that's what you should use if you only have a single monitor connected to your RPi4.

You can turn up the HDMI signal level via the option in the middle of the dialog above (then save and reboot, for the change to take effect).

If that doesn't fix things, you could try temporarily booting a Raspbian image in your RPi4, to see if that works with identical cables etc. If it does not work, then you can post on the general or troubleshooting forums here to request assistance (as that would indicate the issue is not specific to your use of Gentoo as an OS). And if it does, then post again here so we can narrow the issue down further.

hth, sakaki

geev03

Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:44 pm

ronmon wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 3:21 am

Now for one quick question. I run my Pi on the third monitor of my desktop setup. It only has two HDMI ports and I also have a Windows 10 "brick" computer (~5"x5"x2") that I rarely use to play poker and connects to the same monitor. ecause of that I use a HDMI switch to flip between the Pi and the brick while the desktop has its own port.
Or maybe I will have to put my desktop and the brick on the switch (just thought of that, haven't tried it yet). Any suggestions are welcome.

And again, thanks very much for the great work you have done on this project.
My Pi4 and Windows 10 Computer are on the same network enabling 'Remote Desktop Connection', under Windows 10 accessories, to use Gentoo Pi64 ( a screenshot is attached)
Attachments
gentoo_Kernel_4.19.76.jpg
gentoo_Kernel_4.19.76.jpg (139.65 KiB) Viewed 2077 times

ronmon

Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:35 pm

Okay, thanks to both of you. I am using HDMI0 and I already ordered a new cable since I don't really like having an unnecessary adapter in the loop anyway. It will be here tomorrow and I don't use the brick very often, so it's no problem having a direct connection in the mean time.

Next, I'll try Force HDMI output and boosting the signal level up to 7 or so (feel kind of spoiled having a fancy GUI config tool) and then Remote Desktop as a last resort if I have to.

Cheers

Edit: Well, I got bored and curious. So I set Force HDMI, ramped up the signal level to 7 and re-cabled through the switch.

Et voila! It fired right up and now it's working just fine. The only catch was that the console was running in 640x480 during boot up so the characters were huge and ran way off the screen. Fortunately, when I created my regular user I set it to auto log in with 50-autologin-demouser.conf so when X started it jumped right to 1920x1080. Guess I should figure that out just in case I get stuck in console some day and need to interact with it. But no problem for now.

I never use a DM on my Arch boxes and always run startx from console, but I like it on the Pi so it goes straight to X and I can use my desktop keyboard and trackball via synergy. My Win10 brick is set up the same way.

Got the console figured out. I found the /boot/config.txt file and uncommented two lines.
framebuffer_width=1280
framebuffer_height=720
I would have been happy with that, but somehow it caused the console to do 1920x1080. Rebooted twice to check for sure.

So everything is super and I'm really loving this. It would even make a respectable desktop replacement for a lot of people with somewhat light demands on their system.

bomblord

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:29 am

Hey, the cmdline.txt is different on Gentoo what do I need to do to set up USB booting for Gentoo on the Pi 4?

Gavinmc42

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:58 am

I was going to worry about this after USB boot was working but that is looking like it is still months away.
Gentoo64 is becoming my main OS on 4's so a less adhoc method is needed for me now.

Network boot is now Beta? At least for Raspbian
But a Gentoo based net boot server might fill the gap and could be useable for other stuff.
So much still to learn about Gentoo.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

sakaki

Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:09 pm

bomblord wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:29 am
Hey, the cmdline.txt is different on Gentoo what do I need to do to set up USB booting for Gentoo on the Pi 4?
So, booting purely from USB would require upstream firmware support, which at the moment is still work in progress, but it is possible to boot off a microSD card but use a rootfs on a USB drive.

The simplest way to achieve this is to write the baseline gentoo-on-rpi-64bit image to your USB drive, and then write e.g. a default Raspbian (or Raspbian lite) image to a microSD card (which will have a distinct UUID).

Then, before first use, copy all files from the USB drive's first (boot) partition into the microSD card's first partition, overwriting where the names conflict.

Next, insert both microSD and USB drive into your RPi4, and boot. You should find that it goes through the first-time startup correctly etc. but that it is the USB root partition / rootfs which is expanded.

Once booted, issue:

pi64 ~ # umount /boot
then, edit /etc/fstab so the /boot line reads:

/dev/mmcblk0p1	/boot		vfat    defaults          0       2
Next issue:

pi64 ~ # mount /boot
pi64 ~ # rm -f /boot/autoexpand_root_partition
and finally restart once more to check all is well.

There are ways to make this more robust, but this simple approach should get you going until direct USB boot is available. You won't need to change cmdline.txt, as the PARTUUID-based root cited there should still refer (to the USB device's second partition).

hth, sakaki

Return to “Gentoo”