dcj123

[SOLVED] XWayland is not working

Thu May 29, 2014 9:43 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to get X applications to load on weston/wayland on Arch Linux on the Raspberry Pi. Now I realize this is all very experimental but it should be possible as I have seen screenshots and videos floating around the net. Trouble is, I am at a complete lost as to what more to do to get it work as I have compiled xserver using the instructions here and X programs still do not launch. What else needs to be done, setup or compiled for this to run?

I have:

Code: Select all

[core]
modules=xwayland.so,desktop-shell.so
in my weston.ini file.

Thanks for any help,
Last edited by dcj123 on Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sdjf

Re: XWayland is not working

Thu May 29, 2014 9:54 pm

Have you read the following thread, where I believe he talks about how he got wayland to work in Arch?

Raspberry Pi • View topic - accelerated desktop with wayland / weston
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 03#p156503
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

dcj123

Fri May 30, 2014 7:47 pm

sdjf wrote:Have you read the following thread, where I believe he talks about how he got wayland to work in Arch?

Raspberry Pi • View topic - accelerated desktop with wayland / weston
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 03#p156503
None of that really seems to help but I appreciate the information, I have wayland / weston working. Its X applications I want running and I recompiled the xserver with:

git clone git://anongit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver
cd xserver
./autogen.sh --prefix=$WLD --disable-docs --disable-devel-docs --enable-xwayland --disable-xorg --disable-xvfb --disable-xnest --disable-xquartz --disable-xwin
make
sudo make install
cd ..
but receive this when running X applications on wayland:

Cannot open display

sdjf

Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 am

You could try starting the applications with strace to see if that tells you anything helpful.

Sounds like it is looking at the wrong device, based on my experience getting X to work with a USB monitor. You might need an xorg configuration rule file in /etc/X11 that tells X where to look for the monitor.

Have you looked at the log(s) in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or similar names? If X is expecting DISPLAY of 0 and your display is 1, I think things won't work. It really is two kinds of things that I think have to match - both the value of $DISPLAY and the device reference (ie., /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb1 or whatever).
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

dcj123

Mon Jun 02, 2014 7:51 am

sdjf wrote:You could try starting the applications with strace to see if that tells you anything helpful.

Sounds like it is looking at the wrong device, based on my experience getting X to work with a USB monitor. You might need an xorg configuration rule file in /etc/X11 that tells X where to look for the monitor.

Have you looked at the log(s) in /var/log/Xorg.0.log or similar names? If X is expecting DISPLAY of 0 and your display is 1, I think things won't work. It really is two kinds of things that I think have to match - both the value of $DISPLAY and the device reference (ie., /dev/fb0 or /dev/fb1 or whatever).
Okay, so when I run Xwayland as a command from weston / wayland I am receiving a keymap error which may or may not have to do with X programs not loading. I find it curious none the less,

XKB: Failed to compile keymap
Keyboard initialization failed. This could be a missing or incorrect setup of xkeyboard-config.
(EE)
Fatal server error
(EE) Failed to activate core devices. (EE)
Any ideas?

dcj123

Mon Jun 02, 2014 8:41 pm

Sorry to double post but I missed the lines in this how to that said to run these commands to avoid the XKB: Failed to compile keymap.

mkdir -p $WLD/share/X11/xkb/rules
ln -s /usr/share/X11/xkb/rules/evdev $WLD/share/X11/xkb/rules/
ln -s /usr/bin/xkbcomp $WLD/bin/
I have Xwayland working now, thank you.

yaconsult

Re: [SOLVED] XWayland is not working

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Good job! What's your impression of it now that you have used it for a bit? How usable is it? What works and what doesn't?

Thank you for any info you can provide!

hradec

Thu May 28, 2015 4:40 am

Hi there...

I'm trying to build xserver the same way you did, but I keep getting a message about some packages being a lower version than required.

Requested 'xtrans >= 1.3.5' but version of XTrans is 1.2.7
Requested 'xproto >= 7.0.26' but version of Xproto is 7.0.23
Requested 'randrproto >= 1.4.0' but version of RandrProto is 1.3.2
Requested 'xextproto >= 7.2.99.901' but version of XExtProto is 7.2.1
Requested 'inputproto >= 2.3' but version of InputProto is 2.2
Requested 'fontsproto >= 2.1.3' but version of FontsProto is 2.1.2
No package 'presentproto' found

Did you have to build all the latest packages to be able to build xserver as well?

sdjf

Thu May 28, 2015 4:14 pm

Looks like you need to update your local version of available packages, I just checked the repository and, for example. the current version of xproto is

xproto-7.0.27-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

If you want to be stuck at the same package build date as the packages you listed, you will need to use the arch linux arm rollback machine that has those versions.

I am rusty with commands and have not updated recently, but think to update your pacman's local sync files, the command would be:

pacman -Syuu

hradec

Thu May 28, 2015 5:41 pm

sdjf wrote:Looks like you need to update your local version of available packages, I just checked the repository and, for example. the current version of xproto is

xproto-7.0.27-1-any.pkg.tar.xz

If you want to be stuck at the same package build date as the packages you listed, you will need to use the arch linux arm rollback machine that has those versions.

I am rusty with commands and have not updated recently, but think to update your pacman's local sync files, the command would be:

pacman -Syuu

I'm running raspbian, not arch!! I did upgrade all packages to latest, but still not enough...

Return to “Arch”