Evasive

Upgrade of glibc which cause problems

Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:21 am

Hey everyone.

I'm playing a little bit with my Raspberry Pi. I put ArchLinux on the SD Card. It booted fine, then I upgraded pacman, did the trick for package signing, and then started a pacman -Syu.
This is where I had an issue, concerning the upgrade of glibc to be more precise.
( 3/66 ) upgrading glibc
INIT: version 2.88 reloading
Generating locales...
Unable to handle kernel paging request at virtual address 90804063
As you can see on this picture

I've tried it twice, the first time I had this error, I had known powering issues, so I recreated the files on my SD card, changed my micro-usb charger, started all over, and I still had this problem :(

Has anyone experienced this ?

Evasive

Re: Upgrade of glibc which cause problems

Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:16 am

Apparently I can't edit my post so:

I rebooted my Rpi, tried this time a pacman -Syyfu, and I ended up with the same problem, only the time the responsible package was "coreutils" as you can see on this picture (sorry for the very poor quality btw)

I don't really know where to dig as of now :?

Evasive

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:02 pm

Tried it again on a new SD card: same result :(

Help please !

pepedog

Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:07 pm

Try it with the 224 Mb ram elf

Code: Select all

cp /boot/arm224_start.elf /boot/start.elf
Then reboot before upgrade

Evasive

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:41 pm

@pepedog: Just tried it, without any luck :(

I did it on another SD card, clean install, did exactly what you told me to, but sadly it didn't work. I'm a little bit surprised to see that I'm the only one experiencing this :O

phrasz

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:57 pm

This is what I get:

Code: Select all

[pi@alarmpi ~]$ sudo pacman -Sy glibc
:: Synchronizing package databases...
 core is up to date
 extra is up to date
 community is up to date
 alarm is up to date
 aur is up to date
warning: glibc-2.15-10 is up to date -- reinstalling
resolving dependencies...
looking for inter-conflicts...

Targets (1): glibc-2.15-10

Total Installed Size:   33.05 MiB
Net Upgrade Size:       0.00 MiB

Proceed with installation? [Y/n] Y
(1/1) checking package integrity                                                                                                               [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) loading package files                                                                                                                    [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking for file conflicts                                                                                                              [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) checking available disk space                                                                                                            [#######################################################################################] 100%
(1/1) upgrading glibc                                                                                                                          [#######################################################################################] 100%
Generating locales...
   en_US.UTF-8... done
  en_US.ISO-8859-1... done
  de_DE.ISO-8859-1... done
  de_DE.ISO-8859-15@euro... done
Generation complete.
[pi@alarmpi ~]$
Are you re partitioning your SD card? Maybe you re running out of space(run: df -h)?

pepedog

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:03 pm

Skip the package signing step, it is pretty new to arch, but always good to keep an eye on x86 arch site though

Evasive

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:27 pm

Tried again skipping the package signing step, same error all over again :(
Thanks for your support though

phrasz

Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:49 pm

Try pulling all the files down, and then "offline" installing them:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Of ... f_Packages

kyelo

Mon Jun 11, 2012 1:37 am

I have been working with archlinuxarm-29-04-2012.img and the updated boot files for several days, and have booted successfully into into a desktop with jwm (Joe's Window Manager). I am using a 4GB PNY SD card.

However I just upgraded the system with "pacman -Syyuf" , said "yes,replace libusb with core/libusbx", "yes, replace procps with core/procps-ng", and "yes replace udev with core/systemd-tools".

The upgrade apparently found no conflicts and loaded package files, removed udev, libusb, and procps, then upgraded 59 packages without error.

However when I now say "xinit jwm" to get to the desktop, I get an X-server error, "Bad File Descriptor, Unable to connect to X-server". The only error my inexperienced eye could spot in the Xorg log file was "no fbdev found".

Kinda makes me wish I hadn't upgraded!

Googling the problem, I seem to find a number of people (beginning about 10 days ago) saying that upgrading their Arch system broke X-Windows, often with a "missing /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 file error". Some said that doing a "ln -s /usr/lib/libudev.so.1 /usr/lib/libusb.so.0" fixed the problem. I tried the symlink but it did not help.

I thought well maybe the changes would not take effect till after a reboot, but my system would not reboot!

Any ideas?

phrasz

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:09 am

1) Config files?
2) New thread?

kyelo

Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:34 am

I had not yet gotten to the point of trying to construct a custom Xorg config file. The window that JWM opened earlier was I guess a default one that Xorg constructs looking at the hardware.

I included my post in this thread because the original poster got into trouble by upgrading his system as I did.. Perhaps I should have posted in a new or different thread.

Return to “Arch”