pgix

File Conflict on First Run of Pacman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:09 am

Hi,

I've installed Arch and am getting on fine with it - this question is more for the sake of curiosity and my education!

The first time I install the image on to an SD card and run pacman (-Su), the download happens OK, but I get told that there are conflicts with the files "pci.ids" and "usb.ids". On renaming / deleting these files everything runs fine. Running pacman -Qo on the files reveals that pciutils and usbutils packages own these files (unsurprisingly!).

I assume that these files contain information to convert PCI/USB vendor and device id's in to actual functions for loading drivers. The presence of the first file particularly surprised me because AFAIK, RPi does not have PCI. Renaming the files (adding .bak) does not appear to have affected USB device detection or general system stability.

Does anyone know why the files are there, why I get the "file already exists in filesystem" message (rather than pacman just overwriting the files) and why pciutils would be present on the version of ArchLinux available from the RPi download page?

Cheers,
Adam

pepedog

Re: File Conflict on First Run of Pacman

Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Upstream, the files moved to hwids.
You didn't have a y param, which pulls latest packages database. File rename not nessesary, one command does it all
pacman -Syyuf
Say no to upgrading pacman first
I don't know why pciutils is there, might be from initial rootfs of another arm device. I think it was, because original kernel (2.6) didn't have accept4 I used oxnas rootfs, then grafted kernel and libs. That was 9 months ago, btw.
Oxnas comes in 2 versions, with and without pci

pgix

Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:27 pm

Hi,
pepedog wrote:Say no to upgrading pacman first
Ah yes - the upgrade to pacman is the part where that conflict happens. By renaming those files, it means I have been able to say yes to that part too.

Thanks for the info.
Cheers,
Adam

Gizmo

Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 pm

pepedog wrote:...
Say no to upgrading pacman first
Thanks! The update was successful.

Return to “Arch”