alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Long time to first boot?

Sat May 19, 2012 10:26 am

Hi all. Wanted to use arch to do a FUSE spectrum emulator. Haven't got very far. Used Win32Diskimager to make an arch image on an 8 Gig Sandisk Ultra Cat 6. Haven't resized partitions or anything. Card in, Pi on and it's stuck for a long time on

Starting Network

Also the HDMI display seems bit off as I'm missing a bit on the left and there's something that shouldn't be there on the right side.

The Pi is fine. Debian works on another card.

Any ideas? Or does the first boot just take a long time? (I mean more than 20 minutes?)
Alex Eames RasPi.TV, RasP.iO

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Long time to first boot?

Sat May 19, 2012 11:05 am

After about an hour I've just been able to type root for the login.
My prompt looks like this...

pi login: root

Not been asked for a password yet. (10 minutes)

Do you think there's a problem with my SD card?

Spider.007

Sat May 19, 2012 2:05 pm

I would indeed guess something is wrong with your SDcard; obviously booting shouldn't take this long. If you managed to login, type `dmesg`, and see what's in there. I'm guessing a lot of mmc1 errors ;)

RTM

Sat May 19, 2012 2:13 pm

It definitely does not take that much time for me to boot up from a SD card(for the record i use a 8GB kingston class 6 card).

It could be something with your SD card, but i have noticed that arch seems to slow up every now and then, and there appears to be messages seemingly related to that in the dmesg output.

Spider.007

Sat May 19, 2012 2:20 pm

RTM wrote:[..]

It could be something with your SD card, but i have noticed that arch seems to slow up every now and then, and there appears to be messages seemingly related to that in the dmesg output.
So, what messages are that? Might be useful for other people as well ;)

FYI: I changed /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf, if you uncomment the last line all dmesg output is also visible in tty12, which I find very useful, and allows you to view the dmesg while booting :)

RTM

Sat May 19, 2012 2:25 pm

My rpi, is running an openelec image at the moment, so i do not have the logs to show it right now, but if my memory serves we well, it was similar to the ones mentioned in this thread on the archlinuxarm forums: http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=2897

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat May 19, 2012 3:40 pm

Funny thing is I only used the 8 Gig card because Win32diskimager wouldn't allow me to put the image on my 2 gig cards - there was insufficient space :(

Oh well. I'll check the card by putting a debian image on it. I've tried Arch on it 3 times now and two different versions as well. All with the same result. :(

alexeames
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun May 20, 2012 6:57 pm

Turns out the 8 Gig Sandisk card is the culpret. Doesn't work on Debian either and then I found it in the Wiki as one of the dodgy ones. (It was bought before that list existed :( )

So, waiting on some new cards and will try again when they get here.

Return to “Arch”