tawalker

Re: Fluxbox and "dockapps" on Arch/ARM

Sat May 05, 2012 5:57 pm

So, I finally have a RasPi on order from RS (woohoo!!! ), and my thoughts are turning to getting an OS set up for it. I've pretty well decided on Arch/ARM, as I run the x86 version on my Eee 701SD netbook, and am generally very pleased with how well the distro is suited to more "modest" hardware.

On the Eee, I use the Fluxbox window manager, and would like to do the same with the RasPi. I like Fluxbox's speed, minimalist appearance (plus: it doesn't look like MS Windows!), keybindings and the "slit" (dock for applets), amongst other factors.

Has anyone else tried Fluxbox on the Pi - whether under Arch, Debian or another distro - and if so, is there anything I should be aware of?

Also: on my Eee, I have compiled quite a few WindowMaker "dockapps". Most of the programs were in the AUR, as Arch doesn't keep them in the main repositories. I was wondering what chance I have of being able to compile any dockapps for Arch/ARM, as most were written many years ago for x86 systems?

(BTW: in one of the tutorial videos, I saw the Awesome window manager in operation - I might like to try that, if Fluxbox proves problematic for any reason.)

Many thanks!
---
Raspberry Pi Model 3B+ (2019) ("ayeka") - CentOS
Raspberry Pi Zero W (2018) ("mass") - Raspbian
Raspberry Pi Model B (1st-gen - 2012) ("ryo-ohki") - Arch Linux ARM
---

pepedog

Sat May 05, 2012 6:03 pm

All should work, even yaourt

tawalker

Sat May 05, 2012 9:13 pm

I forgot to mention that I'd like to run GKrellM in the Fluxbox "slit", perhaps instead of dockapp(s)... looking forward to finding out what's in the Arch/ARM repos
---
---

tawalker

Re: Fluxbox and

Mon May 14, 2012 12:45 pm

I've now had my Pi for a few days, and leaving aside the "elephant in the room" (the dreaded "repeated keypresses" problem - possibly due to low power-supply - which means I can't get much done with the Pi yet), I managed to install X11 on Arch, and tried installing and running Fluxbox.

Well, I'll say this: it "works", in the sense of "Fluxbox starts, and I can bring up the right-button context menu". It's not quite as slow as I feared, and although the keypress problem stops me doing anything much, at least the whole lot doesn't collapse in a shivering heap of cryptic X error messages ;)

Once I've solved the keyboard/power issue, I think I'll have to migrate over as many config files as I can from my Arch/Fluxbox-running netbook, and try and recreate the setup I have there. In the meantime: running Fluxbox on the Pi, is looking more promising than I expected...
---
---

Return to “Arch”