jakebpg

RPI IO Pinout!!!!

Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:15 am

OK I've been searching all over for the pin-out of the RPI's IO. Yes there are many posts all over the place using different naming conventions.

So what is the OFFICIAL pin-out naming convention for the IO header(gpio,spi,I2c & uart) and lets not forget about the camera and other interfaces available?

And do all these other naming conventions match to the official pin-out but utilizing a different naming convention? VERY CONFUSING TO SAY THE LEAST!

I'm very much interested in utilizing the IO header but thoroughly confused when reading through some of the hardware posts because of naming conventions used and translating them to the IO header is even more confusing!

So what EXACTLY is the OFFICIAL IO pin-out & naming convention of the 26 pin IO header and the other headers that are available? I have many projects in mind to experiment with and then would like to contribute these projects to the hardware forum with the OFFICIAL pin-out designations to simplify the projects and eliminate all the confusion due to the pin-out naming conventions used by different developers, so that there is NO need to keep referring back to a pin-out diagram and translating it to the developers naming convention, which in some cases can be difficult to say the least since they do NOT use the actual pin number on the physical board but some other arbitrary naming convention from who nows where!

Please Help in getting to the official pin-out naming convention so that all that wish to utilize the IO pins have a standard to follow instead of just guessing and translating the dev naming convention and hoping that you have it right!

The RPI can be a great teaching tool but the naming convention of the IOs that are available MUST be consistent across all developers examples!

Please feel free to post this to other forums if this is not the correct place to ask these questions.

MattHawkinsUK

Re: RPI IO Pinout!!!!

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:13 am

There is plenty of confusing info out there. First you've got physical pin numbers, 1 to 26. These are set in stone as pin 1 is always pin 1 etc.

Then there are the signal names. These vary depending on how the pins are configured in software. I created these diagrams to show the proper Broadcom GPIO references.

http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/2012/0 ... -and-pins/

On top of this many of the pins have alternative functions. Check out the Wiki for that info. I didn't bother with those on my diagrams as I was only interested in basic GPIO. At the time the Wiki diagrams were confusing as they used a made up set of GPIO numbering that related to nothing useful. You still see these labels on some peoples PCB addon boards.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Return to “Arch”