audetto

emacs via ssh, missing fonts for menubar

Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:21 pm

Hi,

I've recently reinstalled arch and I now have this problem.
When I connect to the pi via ssh with X forwarding, and I want to run emacs,

it does not display the menu items properly, nor the dialog boxes.

Instead I get boxes everywhere

http://picpaste.com/emacs-0RCjpHzR.png

On the pi terminal, emacs prints the following

Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "pk-gtk-module"
Gtk-Message: Failed to load module "canberra-gtk-module"

The latter is sound related, so I ignore it.
The former instead could be very important as it seems to be a tool to "Install fonts automatically using PackageKit"

Now, the problem is that there does not seem to be any package in arch able to provide something like

/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/modules/libpk-gtk-module.so
/usr/lib/gtk-3.0/modules/libpk-gtk-module.so

I can find them for Fedora, Debian, but arch nothing.
Tried pkgfile, but nothing.

I connect to a pi from a Fedora 22 wrokstation where I have installed all possible fonts related packages I could find
and which was able to display emacs properly till 1 months ago when I decided to reinstall arch from scratch.

Not sure if the problem is caused by the reinstall or by a recent update of emacs (which seems to have broken icons anyway
https://bugs.archlinux.org/task/48862). I have a separate PC where emacs has exactly that problem, but the menu entries are displayed correctly.

Any idea?

sdjf

Re: emacs via ssh, missing fonts for menubar

Sun May 01, 2016 6:57 pm

It looks like you probably need to compile from source. I am searching but not finding where the source is, though! Pacman does list a few packagekit type packages though, I wonder if one of those might help you? Search with pacman -Ss packagekit, pk seems to be related to packagekit. There is a packagekit.org listed on one of the download pages I saw, but I do not know what would need to happen to turn that into pk-gtk-module.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

audetto

Sun May 01, 2016 8:18 pm

sdjf wrote:It looks like you probably need to compile from source. I am searching but not finding where the source is, though! Pacman does list a few packagekit type packages though, I wonder if one of those might help you? Search with pacman -Ss packagekit, pk seems to be related to packagekit. There is a packagekit.org listed on one of the download pages I saw, but I do not know what would need to happen to turn that into pk-gtk-module.
Hoping that this will solve it!

It is not clear to me if these fonts need to be on the pi (x client) or on the PC (x server).

I will try.

sdjf

Sun May 01, 2016 9:42 pm

Your image does not display for me, if you are logged in via terminal to remote machine, then I would guess it is the remote where messages are coming from. But otherwise, it would be the client. Your best bet is to turn on logging if you have not done that, if the recompiling does not work.

And start things on both ends with strace, a great utility that will log system calls on both ends. Somebody with experience with these things would probably know, but I jumped in as nobody had answered you yet.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

audetto

Fri May 06, 2016 6:55 pm

Got it.

I needed to install

xorg-fonts-100dpi

on the pi

it should probably be a dependency of emacs...

sdjf

Sun May 08, 2016 6:46 pm

If you are suggesting that a package is a dependency that is not listed for another packages, that needs to be reported upstream at the source.

Check your pacman log at /var/log/pacman.log to see if it was an optional dependency? If not, then you could try to get them to correct that omission at the source.

Return to “Arch”