tpfkanep

Kernel oops when plugging in/out USB devices

Sat Mar 05, 2016 10:37 am

Hi,

Whenever I plug in/out an USB device (storage, modem, etc) , I get a kernel oops. I have tried the official Arch Linux ARM forums, but no luck.

If I run on kernel 4.1.15 from a disk image made end Jan-2016, I do not experience this issue. I see that the issue has been reported here...

Is this issue only affecting certain boards/OSes...? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks.

audetto

Re: Kernel oops when plugging in/out USB devices

Sun May 01, 2016 8:22 pm

tpfkanep wrote:Hi,

Whenever I plug in/out an USB device (storage, modem, etc) , I get a kernel oops. I have tried the official Arch Linux ARM forums, but no luck.

If I run on kernel 4.1.15 from a disk image made end Jan-2016, I do not experience this issue. I see that the issue has been reported here...

Is this issue only affecting certain boards/OSes...? Are there any workarounds?

Thanks.
It is well known that hot plugging usb devices to a Pi can crash it or reset it.
Normally blamed on current spikes required by the devices.

Do you plug into the Pi? Powered hub?
According to which Pi you have, you could try to give USB more power with

max_usb_current=1

MarkR

Sun May 01, 2016 10:30 pm

If you are using an old model B, then this is expected (on my Bs, I pretty much always get an instant reboot).

The B+ is much better in this regard. Make sure your're using an adequate power supply. A barely ok power supply, could cause this.

The Pi 2, Pi 3 etc, have better power wiring too.

Not sure about the A+ or zero.

sdjf

Mon May 02, 2016 12:34 am

I am not sure about the Kernel OOPS, but I do know that one of the USB ports on my 512MB model B is just not tight enough, and if I do any plugging, unplugging, everything whacks out with the other port. I elected not to return it as I needed the device badly, but for me the resolution was to leave the pi stationary, with one SD card and card reader plugged in to one port, and the other port is used by a powered hub, from which I piggyback everything else (many devices, piggybacked more powered hubs).

Since changing to that setup, problems with reboots occurred until I got a better powered hub.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Return to “Arch”