maribu

omxplayer whishes a nice day, but doesn't play videos

Sat Jul 21, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi everybody!

I installed omxplayer-git from AUR but I can't play a H264 mkv Video with it.

$ omxplayer
remains silent at all and
$ omxplayer.bin
only says: have a nice day ;)

I tried to play Sintel 720p H264. Exactly the same file is played by xbmc just fine. It also works with mplayer2, but without hardware decoding and therefore at poor performance.

Am I just trying the wrong file? And is it just me: A program should at least give a hint what went wrong if it does not work correctly instead of whiching a nice day, doesn't it?

Thank you for your help!

ph0ng

Re: omxplayer whishes a nice day, but doesn't play videos

Sat Jul 21, 2012 11:25 pm

At the very least, omxplayer.bin should print codec + resolution info when opening a video file. I have had the same problem but cannot recall what I did to fix it. Check that omxplayer.bin only points to one libEGL.so file and that it is /opt/vc/lib/libEGL.so (ldd omxplayer.bin | grep libEGL.so). Also, if an omxplayer.log file is outputted, post it here.

EDIT: It is also worth noting that omxplayer.bin does not print an error message if the file cannot be found, though it should be written to omxplayer.log. Double-check that the supplied path exists.

maribu

Sun Jul 22, 2012 8:14 pm

Thank you for your help so far.

In fact omxplayer.bin was build against both /lib/libegl.so and /opt/vc/lib/libegl.so . I recompiled it while I temporary removed the package libegl (which was in fact a dependency of a dependency of omxplayer). The new executable therefore only pointed to /opt/vc/lib/libegl.

The output of omxplayer.log remaind the same:

00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllBcm: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllOMX: Using omx system library
00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllAvFormat: Using libavformat system library
00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllAvUtilBase: Using libavutil system library
00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllAvCodec: Using libavcodec system library
00:00:00 T:0 DEBUG: DllAvFormat: Using libavformat system library

And also the command pointed to the right video file. I both used relative path and absolute path to the file.

So, anything else I could try?

Thank you so far!

Sesi41

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:37 pm

i also have this problem!

It says only some information and whisches me a nice day but doesn't play the video! It is a .wmv .

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:46 pm

Sesi41 wrote:It says only some information and whisches me a nice day but doesn't play the video! It is a .wmv .
omxplayer only plays hardware accelerated video formats, which is h264 and mpeg4. It won't play wmv.

jbeale

Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:12 am

dom wrote:omxplayer only plays hardware accelerated video formats, which is h264 and mpeg4. It won't play wmv.
I've never even tried omxplayer, but if it doesn't produce an error message when given a wmv file, like "unsupported video format", it seems to me like it should. Or we'll be seeing quite a few more such posts in future, is my guess.

KenT

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:18 am

dom wrote:
omxplayer only plays hardware accelerated video formats, which is h264 and mpeg4. It won't play wmv.
I've built a little python interface for omxplayer it would be easy to add filetype checking to that.

Exactly which audio and video filetypes should be accepted by it.?
Pi Presents - A toolkit to produce multi-media interactive display applications for museums, visitor centres, and more
Download from http://pipresents.wordpress.com

maribu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:22 am

Thanks, dom.

But my video is h264 720p in a mkv container.

Both should be supported.

Btw: The Video (Sintel) I tried to watch is free to download.

But as xbmc plays the file flawlessly on the Pi,it must be supported by the hardware.

thanks so far

maribu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:50 am

I just tried omxplayer-bin, which works fine. Anyone an idea why the guy version sites not work for me?

Thanks

ph0ng

Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:54 pm

I tested you Sintel movie without any problems on my Pi. Do you mean the AUR package "omxplayer-bin"? That is a prebuilt binary based on older source code. Perhaps there is something fishy with your dependencies?

The omxplayer git repository instructions involve checking out a specific revision of ffmpeg and building it yourself. As I don't have the option to cross-compile yet, I skip this step. However, I have found that performance is degraded with newer ffmpeg and x264 versions. Therefore I keep ffmpeg 20120509-1 and x264 20120204-1 from being updated by pacman. Which versions do you have?

maribu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:45 pm

Hi.

Btw: What I was trying to say was: Has anyone an idea why the git version does not work for me. Writing with a phone leads to very interesting misspelling.

Yes indeed, I refer to the aur versions omxplayer-git and omxplayer-bin.

My versions of following packages are:
ffmpeg: 1:0.11.1-1
ffmpeg-compat: 20120509-1
x264: 20120705-1
raspberrypi-firmware: 20120719-1

Should ffmpeg and ffmpeg-compat match in version?

I think the binary version brings a local version of ffmpeg with it. So the problem could indeed be the version on ffmpeg.

Is there a way to get an old package in Arch Linux ARM?

Thanks so far,
Maribu

ph0ng

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:06 pm

I got what you meant ;)

See PM for tarballs and Makefile. I use these to build torarin's subtitle branch: https://github.com/torarin/omxplayer/tree/subtitles which is hopefully soon to be merged into the main repo.

If this works for you, perhaps I can think of a more permanent way of providing these packages (though I know that it is a suboptimal solution).

spennig

Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:55 pm

New version in AUR fixes this (links against correct (ffmpeg-compat) libraries). btw, reporting bugs in the AUR is more likely to get things fixed than just discussing them here, which the Arch packager does not view very often.

maribu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:08 pm

Thanks Spenning!

I'll try to recompile it. I wasn't sure if the problem was the PKGBUILD, so current version or the person in front of my Pi (which is me).

Next time I'll ask in the AUR discussion first.

maribu

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:18 pm

It works!

Thanks to everyone for your help!

ph0ng

Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:56 pm

Great :) I guess I will have to give the new ffmpeg and x264 packages a new chance then.

TankSlappa

Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:10 pm

I'm using Raspbian, and although omxplayer accepts the h264 file, reports there is 1 video streams and a 2 channel audio stream, I don't get any video.

The audio plays back perfectly.

Any ideas?

If you are going to ask me any questions such as "what version xyz are you using?" I'll tell you if you give me the command required to get this information!

maribu

Fri Jul 27, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi!

Do you have compiled omxplayer yourself or used an .deb package?

Could you please post the content of omxplayer.log, which should be placed in the current directory when you start omxplayer.

You can view which version of a package you have installed by:

dpkg -l packagename

You can see on which librarys omxplayer depends by

ldd /usr/bin/omxplayer.bin

(Where /usr/bin/omxplayer.bin has to be replaced by the location of your omxplayer. Propably it is right there.)

With

dpkg -S /path/to/file/filename

you should find out which package "owns" the file "filename". It took these parameter for dpkg from here: http://www.cyberciti.biz/howto/question ... -sheet.php

If I where you, I would check if the librarys "ldd" shows do really exist in your filesystem. A good start would propably libEGL.so, libGLESv2.so and libx264.so to check out.

And an advice: Everyone here in the Arch Linux forum will try to help you. But someone who is actually using Raspbian like you will more likely be able to help you. So if even the other guys around here, who are much smarter than me, can help you: Try it again in a Raspbian form or in Generel discussion.

Good luck,
maribu

TankSlappa

Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:02 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the prompt and helpful reply.

I installed from a .deb.

Thanks to your pointers I found the issue. The log file were showing complaints about not enough resources which was enough to remind me that I was running the 224meg config. Switched to 192meg (to free more for the GPU) and it works :D

ph0ng

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:11 pm

That was unusually kind of the log mechanism ;) For smooth playback at high resolutions/bitrates you will want to go for the 128/128 ram split.

TankSlappa

Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:36 pm

Thanks Ph0ng, it was happy with 192/64 split for my little test mp4 file, but that was only 320x240.

I'll try something larger and see what happens.

ppuskari

Sun Jul 29, 2012 10:43 pm

For what it is worth regarding 192/64 and 128/128 ram splits and video performance, I was able to run 720P H264 with AC audio for nearly 3 hours this morning while watching a long video. I am running 900mhz overclock, and 450mhz gpu overclock and 500mhz sdram overclock. I'm running 192/64 ram split and it was spot on perfect streaming the file from my win2k3r2 file server over the 100mbit network.

Only issue I've found so far is that if you forward a bunch of times then follow with a previous arrow command it seems to hang omxplayer and the log states it cannot find the position as "unknown"

Nice playback quality however when running hdmi 720p with the 270p material to match with it.

Return to “Arch”